Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SandsOfTheSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2013, 10:17 am

Come on! Positivity. Who thinks sometimes that they are a bit of a genius? All our problems are because we think on a different (higher lol) plain than most folk and we are ahead of our time. Oh and any problems we have is due to the weight of our own genius and we are waiting for the rest of the people to catch up and the phone will ring one day out of the blue while we are putting jigsaws together to say that we have won a Nobel prize in umm overall originality and Jupiter sized genius and the world wants to apologise for shunning us and give us umm I dunno, Australia as an aspie commune for which you are leader (and soon emporer when you get drunk on power and feel the need to expand aspie borders into new territories).

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:23 am

I would view that as "arrogance," and I don't view arrogance as "positive."

Besides, the more I learn, the more I realize there is to learn; therefore, I can not now, nor will ever, consider myself a "genius."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:25 am

Oh no, don't start an 'Are you a genius'-type thread or you'll have the 'Well I don't like to boast but I'm in MENSA and my IQ is
through the roof!' brigade out in force! :roll:

SandsOfTheSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2013, 10:26 am

Genius isn't confined to just intelligence though. My post was made with a joking tone too you know.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:27 am

i wont call myself a genius per se, even though i do know i'm more intelligent then the average person.

yes, a lot of the (social/educational) problems i experience is due to my different way ('level') of thinking, but i see the NT and the AS levels as being aside each other, rather then above; neither one being distinctively better or worse; like a windows/mac comparison

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:27 am

SandsOfTheSoul wrote:
Genius isn't confined to just intelligence though. My post was made with a joking tone too you know.

Well I'm a 'genius' at winding people up, getting banned form discussion boards and finding useful information online

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:35 am

SandsOfTheSoul wrote:

IMHO, a "genius" is a person who has advanced human civilization in the fields of science, art, agriculture, mechanics, ect. It's measured by what one produces, not by how one wishes to identify. Having a certain IQ, or being told you're a "really smart" doesn't actually make you a "genius."

As for "intelligence," that term, when taken by itself, is so general as to be practically meaningless to me.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:44 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
SandsOfTheSoul wrote:

IMHO, a "genius" is a person who has advanced human civilization in the fields of science, art, agriculture, mechanics, ect. It's measured by what one produces, not by how one wishes to identify. Having a certain IQ, or being told you're a "really smart" doesn't actually make you a "genius."

As for "intelligence," that term, when taken by itself, is so general as to be practically meaningless to me.

I agree

ronpl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2013, 10:50 am

i feel like a genius often

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:53 am

I can feel I've got life all worked out but it doesn't make me feel superior as knowing what the world's all about doesn't give me any financial advantage - it just means I know how to keep myself safe

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:56 am

I don't understand those negative responses to this rather lighthearted thread. I see the OP's view.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 11:00 am

jk1 wrote:
I don't understand those negative responses to this rather lighthearted thread. I see the OP's view.

Lol because some people enjoy being sarcastic and pedantic - could it be possibly because we have Aspergers?
Hmmmm - what do you reckon?

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 11:25 am

nessa238 wrote:
jk1 wrote:

Lol because some people enjoy being sarcastic and pedantic - could it be possibly because we have Aspergers?
Hmmmm - what do you reckon?

I agree. I think we here tend to be quite pedantic mostly likely due to AS. I am myself very pedantic and drive people crazy in real life. But on WP I try to be careful not to do that. I think the OP here is just saying that we should focus on our positives and I agree with him.

SandsOfTheSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2013, 11:35 am

Yep trying to put a positive spin on things.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 11:36 am

SandsOfTheSoul wrote:
Yep trying to put a positive spin on things.

I wasn't trying to prevent that

I was trying to inject humour in fact

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2013, 2:11 pm

I don’t think I’m a genius, but I can’t help it if other people think I am.