ASD and therapy, higher risk of bad experiences?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASD and therapy, higher chance of bad experiences?
I got traumatized through therapy/psychiatry 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
I got a shock through therapy/psychiatry 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I made bad experiences through therapy/psychiatriy 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Therapy/Psychiatry didn't help me 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
Therapy/Psychiatry helped me in some ways, in others it didn't 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
Therapy/Psychiatry helped me 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Therapy/Psychiatry changed my life in a positive way 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 5:45 am

I got a trauma (mostly overcome) and also a shock through a psychiatric hospital.
Some of my autistic friends made simmilar experiences.
So I'm interested how common this is.

If you made more than one experience, please cross on the "highest". So if you made a normal experience and a trauma for example, then chose "I got traumatized...".

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 7:56 am

I put "helped me in some ways, in others it didn't", because saying that it helped me with everything would be a lie.
I've never had bad experiences with psychiatrists, but once my brother did.
When he was a child of 7 and he had just got diagnosed with childhood disintegrative disorder, my mother brought him to a therapist, who said that, however, he couldn't be my brother's therapist, because according to him "he was too useless, and he could not help him". Naturally, my mother was disgusted from that man, and she brought my brother to another therapist who, according to my mother, was very expert, and helped my brother a lot.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 9:55 am

I had a couple bad psychologists, but in each case I saw them only for one sessions before I knew they weren't the ones for me, and they had no real adverse impact on me. (Teachers, on the other hand...)

When I was first identified as having been sexually abused, at age 7 (the abuse occurred from 1-5 years, and one abuser confessed when I was 7), my parents signed me up for this one really great therapist. I remember very little of my therapy, but from what I can gather, I was helped a great deal by it. Then, sadly, she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and had to retire.

Since then, I have not found any therapists who were particularly helpful. The vast majority just let me monologue at them or emotionlessly analyze myself instead of figuring out how to get at my real feelings. I think I only respond to therapy in a nonverbal modality - language is very good at turning off my feelings. As a little kid, I got play therapy because that's what you do with kids, but now that I'm an adult I can't find any therapists willing or competent to provide treatment other than talk therapy or meds.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2013, 2:10 pm

My experience was so bad, that I won't even go to a regular therapist because I don't want to be referred to a psychiatrist. The thing is that the psychiatrist I saw was really a drug dealer with a MD because appointments lasted only minutes, just long enough to fill out the refill pad. I made the mistake of mentioning that some family members have bipolar disorder, as he put me on something else even though the only symptom I had was depression. What he put me on was something that made me sleep so much, I missed a week of college classes because I slept through them. I had to get another doctor to help me wean off the SSRI, as it was one of those you simply can't quit cold turkey because the effects are so awful.

mackico
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2013, 5:40 pm

Through the incompetence of psychiatrists in general, I ended up stuck in a psychiatric hospital/therapeutic community.

I wasn't diagnosed at the time, of course, and the hospital/community promptly kicked me out when they realised I was autistic. Therapeutic communities do not work for people with autism. They would never have accepted me if they had known -- my assigned psychiatrist there told me so herself.

But while I was there, I was bullied by many other patients. And the experience has left me warier of new people than I ever have been before. They also had me drugged to the eyeballs on anti-psychotics, and I've never once experienced psychosis in my life.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 11:44 am

mackico wrote:
Through the incompetence of psychiatrists in general, I ended up stuck in a psychiatric hospital/therapeutic community.

Yes, with me it was a bit the same.
I went to therapy, to get over my traumatic situation in the psychiatric hospital and because I'm transgender.
In the end I was toled pretty much that I can't be transgender and so on, because I went to therapy and the psychiatric hospital was traumatic for me. But I just "faced" those symptoms or whatever. :roll:
8O

I really didn't care anymore and left.
Then later on I was toled that I need therapy, because I have been in therapy before...!

That's not logical at all to me. :?
:evil: