Being a professional painter- viable job?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 6:28 pm

At the moment I'm stuck in a call centre job that I hate, fortunately though I have above average artistic abilities and I am seriously considering turning this into cash.

What i'm wondering is this a viable career option? Anyone have any advice, insight or experiences they can impass?

thanks.

My deviant art profile

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 7:18 pm

If you mean painter as in working in construction, then yes, it's very viable! But if you mean as an artist, then no it really isn't. Unless you are the next Rembrandt and are able to churn out a couple masterpieces a year, you'll find yourself strapped for cash if it is your only source of income. Now, if you paint on the side and have a regular job elsewhere, then it can be a great way to supplement your income. But it isn't stable enough nor is there really enough money in it (unless you are downright amazing) to completely support yourself.

I have a friend who was able to make $400 from selling paintings on eBay, but that was over a 6 month period. They were actually pretty good paintings too, it's just a tough market to get into.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 7:22 pm

oh well, that makes for depressing reading. Thanks for your honest reply though.

Guess I wont be handing in my resignation notice anytime soon.

:(

My deviant art profile

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 7:27 pm

You could become a concept artist for video games, technical things and movies for example, but then again, they are very selective, the income can vary and you move from one company to another and usually don't stay at the same one for longer than one project. :?

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2013, 7:33 pm

Most people starting out in the arts - painting, writing, etc. - need to have a job (or spouse) to support them unless and until they make enough to live on off their art. If it's what you want to do, hopefully you're already painting and trying to get your work into galleries or selling it somehow. Of course it's viable as a career, if you have work that people buy.

I don't know what the advice is for painters, but for writers it's usually to be making enough to live on for at least three years, or to have three well-received published books, before quitting the day job. But of course that's just advice, no guarantee. A lot of published novelists, for instance, don't make even minimum wage on the time they put into writing.

There is one free art newsletter that I think is great, I get a lot from it that inspires me in my own creativity, even though I only dabble for fun with painting. It's "Robert Genn's Twice-Weekly Newsletter." He provides a lot of advice for working artists and artists who want to be professionals. You can subscribe to it at this site:
http://painterskeys.com/

But there are other ways of making a living from art, such as illustrations, animation, and many other paths. I have no idea what kind of art you do?

Best of luck! :)

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 7:50 pm

BlueAbyss wrote:
But there are other ways of making a living from art, such as illustrations, animation, and many other paths. I have no idea what kind of art you do?

Best of luck! :)

I'm looking to do contemporary paintings - buildings, landscapes portraits etc.

to be honest its not my final career ambition, is just something i do well. I need an alternative way to fund my path to my true ambition of becoming a computer game designer because my day job is driving me mad. Also I'm not getting any younger (in my 30's).

My deviant art profile

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2013, 8:09 pm

Maybe in the meantime you could find a job in an art supply store or gallery. Even a crafts store might be more up your alley than the call center. Some stores (at least in the US) give employee discounts, so an art supply store might be the best. I do recommend that newsletter, I get a lot out of it, though many issues don't apply to me at all because I'm not trying to work as a painter.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 11:11 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
If you mean painter as in working in construction, then yes, it's very viable! But if you mean as an artist, then no it really isn't.

That is what I was about to say. A professional house painter can make good money if they find a good market, but an artist, not very likely. If you do commercial art like comic book art, for example maybe a bit better, but only if you got good story to go with it and get a contract.

The craft store idea sounds pretty good. I would work there, or in a book store, but they never hire me. =/

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 3:29 pm

People used to sell their original artwork down on Venice Beach in California before the crackdown. Some of those artists were excellent. If I wasn't broke I would've bought a few pieces myself. A lot of folks now sell online at sites such as Original Art Online. The link is posted below for your convenience.

Original Art Online

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 5:28 pm

Recently I was listening to a radio show and they mentioned Kincaid. I looked up his story because I wondered what ever happened to him. His paintings weren't very original, and some say they are kitsch. BUT he found a niche of what people were willing to buy, namely beautiful idyllic images with dramatic lighting, and then found people willing to help him develop that into a "brand". He became rich and famous. Perhaps not what you would call a "great" painter, but very successful.

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2013, 3:22 pm

I've sold a few paintings and drawings, but not anywhere near enough to make a living. Mostly because I don't market my stuff all that much. Selling art is just like selling anything else. You have to let people know that you've got something to sell.

That's where marketing comes in. The problem with art is that it is a luxury, so the market is small compared to the market for something essential like food. So you have to find a way to reach the people that could be your potential customers. That takes time and effort. If you are serious, I'd suggest creating a portfolio first so that you have something to show in case anybody shows an interest.

It's possible, but not easy. I know a few people who are professional painters, but all of them have income from another source (e.g. teaching art classes, working in a museum) because they don't make enough from selling their paintings. A few people get very rich from painting, but they invariably have a large network of people who are doing the marketing for them.

Maybe try finding a job that's somehow related to art? That could help you build a network.