Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Question14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2013, 10:35 am

I know time travel is unlikely, but what would you do if you had your own personal time travel machine? wither you stop time or move through time what would you do.

Me personally would choose the Stop-time feature over travel-through-time...

Ah! would you use it for good or evil?

Arcanyn
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2013, 10:37 am

Deliberately create a paradox in order to see what happens.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 10:48 am

Arcanyn wrote:
Deliberately create a paradox in order to see what happens.

The inquisitive mind...

I'd travel to the future first, as travelling to the past can be dangerous. I'd like to see what everything looks like in a hundred years or so. Maybe I'd buy a sports almanac.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jan 2013, 11:09 am

You mean if you could travel to the past you could alter history? Maybe stop a war or a major disaster like Titanic or Hindenburg even? One think is often interlinked with another, so it would alter history in a major way! People that didn't die after all, would have children and grandchildren... and so on.
To travel to the future could be exciting so we could see whether any major advances in the medical field have been made and whether people have increased their wisdom and compassion along with the technical knowledge...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 11:35 am

There is no doubt that time travel and alternate history will continue to be popular genres of speculative or science fiction.

Backward time travel is probably impossible but it is fun to conjure with.

We are ALL forward time travelers.

ruveyn

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2013, 12:57 pm

I would go back in time and tell myself not to buy an American car, and that if I did I would have two transmissions go bad while backing out of the driveway.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

I'd check whether any revealed religions are true.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 2:57 pm

Declension wrote:

Positively. But the True Believers will not believe the tale you tell when you come back (if you could come back).

ruveyn

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2013, 3:33 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Declension wrote:

Positively. But the True Believers will not believe the tale you tell when you come back (if you could come back).

ruveyn

Of course if you travled 10,000 years into the future, and the earth were still here and thriving as it has been for as long or longer, then you would certainly be able to dispute religion as a whole that way as well. And probably debunk every Apocalyptic theorist out there.

PMs are fine, but my answers are probably going to be weird.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 4:10 pm

I'm sure even 100 years from now they'd still have the same brainless shows on TV like 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, et. al.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 6:32 pm

compiledkernel wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Declension wrote:

ruveyn

Of course if you travled 10,000 years into the future, and the earth were still here and thriving as it has been for as long or longer, then you would certainly be able to dispute religion as a whole that way as well. And probably debunk every Apocalyptic theorist out there.

I had in mind a backward trip. Say to the Crucifixion, perhaps. My guess is that it never happened the way it was written or perhaps never happened at all. A Crucifixion complete with a Ressurection three days later sounds highly unlikely. If you could go back, take some picture and bring them forward again I think the results would be interesting.

ruveyn

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2013, 6:34 pm

Question14 wrote:
I know time travel is unlikely, but what would you do if you had your own personal time travel machine? wither you stop time or move through time what would you do.

Me personally would choose the Stop-time feature over travel-through-time...

Ah! would you use it for good or evil?

Go back a week and give myself this weeks lottery numbers.

My deviant art profile

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Jan 2013, 9:12 am

redrobin62 wrote:
I'm sure even 100 years from now they'd still have the same brainless shows on TV like 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, et. al.

No, I think people will download their own stuff and watch what they want to, when they want to. A bunch of YouTube junkies! There won't even be news shows as you'll have a wide choice of virtual news services online. Everything will be available online: obituaries, notices, classifieds you name it and printed hard copy newspapers will have become obsolete.

I think there will be interactive virtual reality shows where you can choose favourite (virtual) celebrities to go on a quest with you in a 3D world...

Maybe...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 10:04 am

compiledkernel wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Declension wrote:

ruveyn

The fact that the world is still going strong at that date would do nothing to challenge any religion.

The issue would be going BACK in time- to check out the moments of revelation- like the resurrection, or the burning bush,or mohammed flying to heaven on a white horse, or even back to the 1840's to see if there really were angels flying into joseph smiths church and bringing carved stone tablets (or however that crazy story goes) to see if they really happened the way told.

Question14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2013, 10:14 am

naturalplastic wrote:
compiledkernel wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Declension wrote:

ruveyn

The fact that the world is still going strong at that date would do nothing to challenge any religion.

The issue would be going BACK in time- to check out the moments of revelation- like the resurrection, or the burning bush,or mohammed flying to heaven on a white horse, or even back to the 1840's to see if there really were angels flying into joseph smiths church and bringing carved stone tablets (or however that crazy story goes) to see if they really happened the way told.

No doubt religion would find a way to disclaim this as false.

Because religion is where 'Truth' is evil. They even recognise that any scientistic discoveries are a threat to religion.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 10:18 am

Question14 wrote:

Because religion is where 'Truth' is evil. They even recognise that any scientistic discoveries are a threat to religion.

Hence the hostility of the ultra religious to science.

ruveyn