Soccer/Football/American Football, clearing the confusion

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,500
Location: WrongPlanet

31 Dec 2006, 10:57 pm

Soccer in the USA is Football everywhere else
Football in the USA is American Football everywhere else

In order to avoid confusion in posts, it would be helpful, if everyone agreed
to use A. Football, or American Football, when talking about football in the USA with quarterbacks and stuff
and for Soccer, and Football to refer to kicking the black and white ball into goals.

Agreed :?:


User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 260
Location: Austin, Texas y'all

10 Jan 2007, 11:02 pm

Not sure this is really necessary. You can tell the sport by the context. EG. (American) football = yards, downs, quarterbacks, linebackers, US cities or states, etc. (everyone else) football or soccer = pitch, side, European cities, etc.

Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 20 Apr 2007
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 179

09 May 2007, 4:20 pm

So why should 72% of all native English speakers kowtow to the linguistic demands of 21% of the native English speaking population?

To most of the native English speaking world, a football is shaped like a double ended bullet, not a sphere.

If you really want to end the confusion, you can call your sport "Association Football"... or if you're going to be self deprecating, call it "Diveball" or "Flopball". :P


User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,964
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs

09 May 2007, 6:38 pm

Maybe we (America, plus Canada [I think]) can call it Steroid Helmet Warriors is something like that.


User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,253

09 May 2007, 6:42 pm

there is no confusion, soon as one side scores more than 3 points, then we know which sport.


User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2005
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 339
Location: The Bathrooms, California

10 May 2007, 4:29 pm

I believe that folks in England use the term soccer to describe the honchos upstairs aka the FA, or UEFA, or FIFA, or the Law Board, etc.

Association Football, or soccer (code)
American Football (code)
Canadian Football (code)
Rugby (League, or Union) (code)
Gaelic Football (code)
Aussie Football (code)

It isn't so hard to distiguish any of the football codes whatsoever, maybe the basic rugby forms might by confusing though.

So how do Americans know they are watching Canadian football? Easy, count 12 guys, find red penalty flags, wider and longer fields, deeper end zones, and the posts are at the goal line. Oh, and they punt on third down, not fourth.

It doesn't bother me to type Am. football when I mention football. Maybe soccer gurus can just type assoc. football, my thoughts.


User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2006
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,568
Location: Paisley,Scotland UK

11 May 2007, 6:00 am

Although the unqualified term Football to me as a European means only one thing,I appreciate that WP is an American site so would always indicate (soccer) to avoid confusion.

I have lost the will to be apathetic