Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

zemanski
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2013, 12:22 pm

There is always an exception to the rule, isn't there? - especially if you're talking about people on the spectrum! :D

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2013, 12:29 pm

zemanski wrote:
Applying the "proper" amount of force is mainly due to the sensory feedback loop not being as effective as it should be - if you are not getting enough signals or the signals are delayed or not processed effectively your brain cannot determine how much force you are exerting and you end up either being unable to exert enough force or you over-do it. This is nothing to do with actual strength - the strength may or may not be there, it is how it is used that is the issue here.

That's very interesting and makes a lot of sense.

Pip
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2013, 12:43 pm

I experience the opposite problem. At 5' tall and weighing about 115 pounds, I am very strong for my size and have problems gauging how much force to use in certain situations. I often slam doors and break things unintentionally (including the trunk lid of my car after slamming it shut). And when "playfully" nudging someone on the shoulder, they later complain about how I hit them.

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2013, 12:51 pm

Pip wrote:
I experience the opposite problem. At 5' tall and weighing about 115 pounds, I am very strong for my size and have problems gauging how much force to use in certain situations. I often slam doors and break things unintentionally (including the trunk lid of my car after slamming it shut). And when "playfully" nudging someone on the shoulder, they later complain about how I hit them.

Read Zemanski's comment on the first page, regarding improper use of force. That makes perfect sense.

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2013, 6:20 pm

Nope, I'm strong and I can apply the right amount of force.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 6:48 pm

I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect your muscles at all. You can try and develop an exercise regiment to build up some muscles if you feel you are weaker than you should be.

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2013, 7:09 pm

so i guess its like i said, the motor coordinate issues of aspergers would make it hard for you to utilize the full potential of your strength.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 8:33 pm

My muscle tone is good i ride a bike almost daily =)

Murderface
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2013, 11:20 pm

When I was young I was 115 lb soaking wet. I could lift and carry a Subaru engine no problem. After I had done auto mechanics for a while I could lift and carry about 1000lb and I was 180lb. My ASD son when he was 2yrs he could carry a gallon jug of milk in each hand.

You are very likely an Aspie

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

17 Jan 2013, 11:43 am

I have unusually good muscle tone, so no, it doesn't. Not eating consistently or correctly can affect it though. That may be where the stereotype comes from.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

when i was younger, i was extremely strong and quick. also, i asked on wrong planet and on facebook in a group for aspies, even had a pol going, and many aspies are much stronger than your average nt. i read in websites and blogs about autism about autistic children/adults and aspies who seemed to be very strong, like an eight year old girl who put her fist right through the wall in the middle of a rage attack, and an eight year old autistic boy who throws tvs and the words to describe him were, "you wouldnt believe the strength this child has."
i think we're stronger. much stronger.