Mentally preparing myself to write about someone abusing me

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Luska
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2013, 4:49 pm

Mentally preparing myself to write about someone abusing me

Thankfully it's not sexual abuse. But, I have a hard time trying to even start writing a letter about it. I can't type in my thoughts because of how I feel. Any help?

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 5:15 pm

First of all, who are you addressing in the letter. The person? What is your objective for writing this letter?

Perhaps you can start by brainstorming on a sheet of paper all your thoughts about the situation, unfiltered and then go from there.

alleng
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2013, 5:43 pm

Don't write it without very clearly stating what was done. Especially in the case of a "normal" person, they will deny, re-invent, poo-poo, and generally rework what happened to suit them. So, state clearly what was done. I have been in this situation just this past week so I had a chance to consider this recently.

G

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 8:26 pm

alleng wrote:
Don't write it without very clearly stating what was done. Especially in the case of a "normal" person, they will deny, re-invent, poo-poo, and generally rework what happened to suit them. So, state clearly what was done. . . .

I like this advice.

I also like my method of 0, 1, 2, or 3. That is, I would study tax when I worked seasonally in tax preparation, or something else boring. In a way, this occupies my mind and I can get more in touch with my emotions in what is usually a more calm way. And I will keep a blank piece of paper next to me. I might write, 'I wish ______ had been more responsible.' Or, 'I wish ______ had both told me he was angry and allowed me to be my own person.' By 0, 1, 2, or 3, I underdo the writing. A maximum of only 3 things.

I write single sentences, or maybe, maybe a short paragraph. And then like building something, almost brick by brick, I build something up.

PS It occurs to me that if you like exercise, this could also work while running around a track. For example, keep a notebook next to the track, and when you run one or several laps, write down a single thing. And if you get two different things rewritten down, count that writing session as a success.

Luska
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2013, 4:28 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. It is a complaint against a college official. I went through the beginning and ending but I have a hard time trying to write about the incident itself.

g2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jan 2013, 11:22 pm

Try starting in freeverse, like poetry, lots of adjectives. How did/do you feel? Then it's much easier to piece together... I did some emotional writing like that once.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:00 pm

Just another idea, is to write it at first like a story in the 3rd person, with yourself as a fictional character with a new name. For instance call your character 'Matt' and the abuser by another name like 'Professor Hack'.

Something like:

Matt stayed after class to ask the professor a question on the upcoming final. Professor hack was at his desk going over some papers and didn't seem to notice Matt.

Matt was a little nervous approaching the Professor as he had a reputation for having a short temper. Finally he cleared his throat and said "Excuse me Professor Hack".

"What do you want" said the Professor rudely, looking up from his papers.

etc, etc.