Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jan 2013, 8:29 pm

If someone online attacks a videogame you like or gushes over a videogame you dislike, does it upset you? This person on RPGamer recently attacked a series of games I thought were enjoyable, and it just made my blood boil. I'm also a videogame reviewer mainly of Japanese RPGs, and I have a very, very hard time trusting other reviewers, users and "official" staff reviewers, largely because there are games that have gotten wonderful reviews that I've disliked (such as Devil Survivor and Demon's Souls), and games that have gotten negative reviews that I actually liked (Suikoden IV, The Legend of Heroes Gagharv Trilogy). Anyone else feel the same way?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 8:38 pm

My brother liked Looper, I thought it was a waste of time. Different strokes for different folks. You just move on past it, that's all.

Evinceo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2013, 9:57 am

DukeGallison wrote:
If someone online attacks a videogame you like or gushes over a videogame you dislike, does it upset you? This person on RPGamer recently attacked a series of games I thought were enjoyable, and it just made my blood boil. I'm also a videogame reviewer mainly of Japanese RPGs, and I have a very, very hard time trusting other reviewers, users and "official" staff reviewers, largely because there are games that have gotten wonderful reviews that I've disliked (such as Devil Survivor and Demon's Souls), and games that have gotten negative reviews that I actually liked (Suikoden IV, The Legend of Heroes Gagharv Trilogy). Anyone else feel the same way?

I personally only read reviewers that agree with me most of the time, because the main purpose of following reviews is to decide what to buy/watch/read. VG criticism is in a sorry state right now, I'll agree with you, with bad-but-mainstream titles being praised for no reason. Movie critics would never get away with the sheer industry-brown nosing that video game critics get away with.

redrobin62 wrote:
My brother liked Looper, I thought it was a waste of time. Different strokes for different folks. You just move on past it, that's all.

Did you like Terminator 2?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 6:24 pm

Everybody has their own opinions. Personally, I don't like video games at all. I just never played them. I don't dislike them, but I just don't care either way about them.

I do like to read and sometimes I'll read a review or talk to someone who dislikes a book I like or a writer I like and while I don't get angry with them for their opinions, I do wonder what in the world is wrong with them to make them unable to appreciate it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

DiscardedWhisper
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2013, 9:47 pm

Eh, I used to be like that. Not so much now, generally it only bugs me when someone is being a dick about it. I've learned lately there are more poignant things to get upset about. Gaming website trolls are not one of them, smite one and two more will rise from the muck to press the attack. It's how they reproduce, cause god knows they can't get laid. /rimshot

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 12:29 am

I actually do this kind of thing for fun - I sometimes make fun of a game, even if it is one I found enjoyable myself, that one of my friends finds great, and he just gets so offended by it all. I'm not sure exactly why, because everyone else in the group knows that I'm just teasing, so it must be obvious to him. But then there's also the fact he can never let it go when someone seriously disagrees with him on some game or another. He absolutely loves Halo, and that would be fine, but it's a bit annoying whenever he feels he has to reprimand us for saying any ill towards the series. Not that he's a terrible person or anything, because if he was we wouldn't be friends - it's just this one thing. And of course no one is perfect, so I'll choose my battles.

I might have been this way at one time. I used to wonder why it was that The Wind Waker got a bad rap while Ocarina of Time got all this praise. Apparently I'd missed the memo that they were supposed to have been making a realistic Zelda game(though really it was just meant to be a demo for the Gamecube's power and nothing more) and was ecstatic to just finally have a new Zelda game, having only played Ocarina of Time and the Oracle games before it. So everyone was butthurt that Wind Waker was done in a silly cartoon style, or at least that's why I thought they didn't like it. So I spent a ton of time over at IGN's Zelda board,, arguing about whether Wind Waker ruined the series or why Ocarina of Time was somehow so amazing. After so many years, people started to leave and new ones came, effectively changing the attitude of it, and while I didn't mind not arguing with anyone, I got bored and tried finding a new place. I did, and this was only just after Skyward Sword was released and the Hyrule Historia was announced, and it was the same kind of childish ranting between everyone all over again about who was right and who was wrong.

Pretty much I removed myself from all that. It's one thing to have a debate, and those can be healthy, but there's really no sense in wasting time and energy trying to convince someone else that you are absolutely right when the other person is doing just the same, all while mudslinging and not actually bringing anything of worth to the discussion. Besides, while I'm sure companies try to get the biggest audience possible, they know they can't please everyone and must focus their product if they want to keep the attention of one specific group. So not all games will be for everyone. I'm ok with that. As long as I can enjoy games and have the experience all to myself, that is fine with me. And I should let others have theirs without ruining it for them.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 12:41 pm

DukeGallison wrote:

I hear you on this one. Sometimes people really bash games or give them horrible reviews when the games are decent and good games and deserve a chance.
Usually i take game reviews with a grain of salt. If it's been seriously bashed, i'll just research more about the game to try to come to my own conclusion before i were to get it.
I've seen games get horrible peer reviews on the Gamestop site, and these games didn't deserve such bad reviews.
Everyone has a different opinion, while i've gotten games sometimes by opinion (Lux-Pain) for example, that was a neat game i liked it.
Sometimes i wing it.
Yet i don't make much of others attacking games. You could probably even write your own reviews of games that you like, too