Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Keon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2013, 11:05 pm

Are there any other aspies that are interested by fractals? Sometimes when I need to relax, I watch a few user-created videos on YouTube. I think that they're so interesting because of the way that I pay attention to small details. But with fractals, they don't necessarily have an ending or beginning since they go into infinity. Here is a video that I enjoyed.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foxD6ZQlnlU[/youtube]

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 11:25 am

PBS had a great show on about fractals and their history and use in art. I had folders somewhere with fractal art on them. Kroger was selling them...

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 3:15 pm

i wish all music videos were like that as opposed to the usual crotch and rack combination. I'd rather be relaxed than embarrassed

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 5:18 pm

bucephalus wrote:
i wish all music videos were like that as opposed to the usual crotch and rack combination. I'd rather be relaxed than embarrassed

I submit to you that crotches and racks in music videos are fractals. No matter what level of video you look at, from garage edited to multi-platinum, you will find crotches and racks that look very similar and come up in a repeating pattern.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 7:08 pm

Fractals ... drool ... seriously, how can one not be interested in fractals? :D

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 7:29 pm

Logicalmom wrote:
Fractals ... drool ... seriously, how can one not be interested in fractals? :D

I've been asking myself exactly the same! I love them, thanks to the OP for reminding me they exist, been ages since I saw such a video the last time! :D

Schwammerl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Location: Switzerland - Europe - Earth - Solar System - Milky Way - Virgo SC - Universe

18 Jan 2013, 7:43 pm

I love fractals. I remember I had a huge collection of prints. I could look at them for... I don't know - lost enough to lose track of time.

I also love kaleidoscopes.

LilFlo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jan 2013, 7:26 am

I have always loved fractals, kaleidoscopes. It's simply fascinating, relaxing and gets me creative. :)
Perfect combo with trance music (according to me at least :D)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 8:17 am

the video you posted is truly mindblowing.

i have created many fractal animations with my lesser talent than that which created your video.

i have put a few on my youtube page.
i find it very enjoyable to program fractal sequences, but the program i wrote to render them was lost when my computer died a couple of years ago, and i have not bothered to rewrite it since because it would take weeks to rewrite.

i did not use predefined mandelbrot or julia sets as the seeds in most of my ideas. i liked to create my own seeds.

here are a few of my fractal animations.
please select HD to watch them in (720 or higher)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqC1TkAVLj4&list=UUpB1H594Ek2H_hWBxJ7ja7g&hd=1[/youtube]

this one was "kicked off" on a mandelbrot launchpad, but i ensured my code quickly overtook the otherwise linear ingress into that pattern (because i did not know how wonderfully revealing and diverse were the patterns that were extractable from that sequence...i guess i was ignorant to the reality of the extreme intelligence that was woven into the mandelbrot scheme), and as this sequence evolves, it has less and less influence from it's initial compilation. for some reason, the music for this animation was deleted and i have not bothered to reupload it with new music as an accompaniment. whatever.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oudCzcOQbw8&list=UUpB1H594Ek2H_hWBxJ7ja7g&hd=1[/youtube]

here is a "drill out" rendition of another grey scale idea i had. sometimes i think color can distract from pattern, and so i made many grey scale animations. here is one.
this one was only uploaded with a resolution of 480 horizontal pixels, despite my uploading it in 720. i do not know why the 720 res is not available.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pol0z_iOGfs&list=UUpB1H594Ek2H_hWBxJ7ja7g&hd=1[/youtube]

here is my "great energy bracelet inspection" routine. it should be watched in 720 res.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRAFGPk-qPM&list=UUpB1H594Ek2H_hWBxJ7ja7g&hd=1[/youtube]

this one is shown by default at only 360 pixels wide, so it will look very blurry if the video setting is not changed manually by you to 720p.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npfx1p6WRE0&list=UUpB1H594Ek2H_hWBxJ7ja7g&hd=1[/youtube]

here is a drill into my idea of buddha with the superficial idea i have of buddha.
once more i say that it only looks sharp with a resolution of 720 p.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC2bODL2JoU&list=UUpB1H594Ek2H_hWBxJ7ja7g[/youtube]

i , similarly to you, like fractal considerations.

Keon

20 Jan 2013, 2:13 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't intend on making it seems as if I made the video which I posted. It was made by a different user but I thought that other people would enjoy watching it as well as I did.

Kudos to you for your videos though!

M305
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2013, 4:11 pm

b9 wrote:
i find it very enjoyable to program fractal sequences, but the program i wrote to render them was lost when my computer died a couple of years ago, and i have not bothered to rewrite it since because it would take weeks to rewrite.

i did not use predefined mandelbrot or julia sets as the seeds in most of my ideas. i liked to create my own seeds.

I always wanted to program my own fractals but never got to it ( thanks to the OP for reminding me ). I wonder did you write them from scratch or did you use a program to generate them, as I have no clue on how to make them yet, although i have some ideas.

on a sidenote I recently found out about a vegetable shaped as a fractal called "Romanesco" here is a picture:
I never ate one or even seen one IRL but i thought you might like it.

Schwammerl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Location: Switzerland - Europe - Earth - Solar System - Milky Way - Virgo SC - Universe

20 Jan 2013, 4:29 pm

M305 wrote:

on a sidenote I recently found out about a vegetable shaped as a fractal called "Romanesco" here is a picture:
I never ate one or even seen one IRL but i thought you might like it.

They're fairly common over here - I've seen them for sale in supermarkets. I've never tried one though. Not sure what it is supposed to taste like - cabbage maybe?

M305
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2013, 4:41 pm

according to wikipedia they are from italy and a variant form of cauliflower.
suppostly they taste "softer" than cauliflower whatever that means 8O

Schwammerl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2013, 4:53 pm

M305 wrote:

I'm seriously considering growing some as ornamental plants. :alien: I mean, they look pretty neat. I wonder if they're easy enough to grow.

Keon

20 Jan 2013, 7:12 pm

I haven't made my own videos yet but I started looking into software. I've recently downloaded Chaos Pro as well as Wax 2.0.

M305
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2013, 12:41 pm

Schwammerl wrote:
M305 wrote:

I'm seriously considering growing some as ornamental plants. :alien: I mean, they look pretty neat. I wonder if they're easy enough to grow.

cool, let me know how it works out :D

Keon wrote:
I haven't made my own videos yet but I started looking into software. I've recently downloaded Chaos Pro as well as Wax 2.0.

I'm actually considering programming something myself wich will be able to create and animate fractals