Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

stevenjacksonftw7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2013, 11:19 pm

I suffer from ADHD and I had to learn them as well. At least I've learned after a year since ADHD has held me back a bit.

1. The obvious one is therapy. It's not for everybody, but it does have some effect on some people.
2. Watch kids shows since those are designed to teach social skills.
3. Play online video games that require you to communicate since this will practice your team work skills. It could help you practice you verbal social skills.
4. Watch television shows just to reflect on the non-verbal cues and on the social cues (body language and facial expressions). Total Drama Island is a good example, and playing Surviving High School (iOS) helps.
5. Get a job that will teach you these skills. It's unfortunate that the Armed Forces will only take somebody with ADHD if they are off of medication for a year with no symptoms and that they won't take Autistic people at all since the Armed Forces could be beneficial for these folks.
6. If you would like to know how to ease Anxiety, make YouTube videos that would require you to blog.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 1:43 am

7. Socialize. After all, practice makes perfect! Although it is good to have a firm basis before jumping into things, which is where I think the above suggestions really help a lot (and they are all really good in my opinion!)

icyfire4w5
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 1:20 am

To Stargazer43 and stevenjacksonftw7: Hi, I appreciate what you say very much so I'm bumping this thread up with this reply. Hopefully, more people can notice this thread.

stevenjacksonftw7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2013, 1:32 am

8. Make a YouTube video to express yourself to practice your speaking skills (do it about how Autism effects you if you would like). You can earn fans and friends at the same time. There are ***holes on YouTube, but just ignore them.
9. If the above one doesn't work, try public speaking or singing which will ease Anxiety over time. If you have sensory issues, then you could find an environment that doesn't have the bright lights.
10. Try blogging online to express yourself, and you could still learn a lot from doing it.
11. Call me insane, but befriending other disabled folks works for some people. Whether they have Tourette's Syndrome, Down's Syndrome, ADHD (some might be jerks however since I've met some other folks who have ADHD who make fun of disabled people), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Cerebral Palsy, Intellectual Disabilities or other Autistic folks you could practice your one on one communication skills and you can learn from it.
12. Aid severely Autistic people if you have Asperger's Syndrome or High Functioning Autism.