What Multiverse/Parallel Universe Would You Visit/Live In?

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 10:25 am

ruveyn wrote:
PTSmorrow wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
PTSmorrow wrote:
I'd like to live someplace where no humans exist. All nature and animals.

How do you expect to survive.

Humans do as well as they do because they live in communities and a wide mix of talents and skills can be brought into use.

ruveyn

Provided there's access to clean water, edible plants and a few simple tools, one can survive on his own.

Provided no serious accident befalls you. If you break a bone or get an infection you are most likely a goner. No doctors or
anti-biottics to help you. And if one of the wilder animals in the place you are in attacks you you are in deep sh*t. The reason why humans do as well as the do is precisely because they DO NOT live along. They live in communities where the labor can be specialized and mutual defense can be provided.

The idea of the successful hermit is strictly for fiction. Even Robinson Crusoe needed Friday's help.

ruveyn

I see your point, but that's only half the story because on the other hand, in my kind of universe I can't be killed by a drunk driver, a shooting, murder, a doctor's malpractice, or any other kind of human--caused deaths.

Sooner or later I have to die anyway, and if I could choose I would prefer to die surrounded by nature, not in a hospital.

Not sure about Friday. Robinson could have gotten well again by himself. And Friday's appearance was necessary for the plot.

I seriously doubt that humans do well, as you put it. After all, they destroy the planet, so what's the point? Furthermore, if I had to choose between one year of freedom in nature without humans and then years of artificial life support in a nursing home, I'd of course choose the former.

Finally, I don't care about the human species. They are like an anthill out of control.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 12:31 pm

PTSmorrow wrote:

I see your point, but that's only half the story because on the other hand, in my kind of universe I can't be killed by a drunk driver, a shooting, murder, a doctor's malpractice, or any other kind of human--caused deaths.

Instead you can die from a snake bite.

The lifespan of humans has increased most rapidly when they formed communities in the contexts of industrial societies.

The life span of the early cave dwellers was in the 30's judging from the bone fossils.

I have no wish to go to a time-line where there are no other intelligent beings who can cover my back.

ruveyn

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

22 Jan 2013, 3:23 am

With regards to the Robinson Crusoe analogy, you would have to count on a universe with autotrophs
and heterotrophs with similar chemistry to Earth's ecosystems.
(Granted, silicon-based may be impossible.) On a planet with fewer heavy elements, like iron,
maybe larger organisms have evolved alternatives to hemoglobin in their blood, but you might
develop a dietary deficiency after a while.
A planet with too little calcium might be even worse.

On Earth, we know which plants and animals are poisonous to eat.
If I visited life on another planet, I would want an organic chemist on my team,
or at least have some training to help me make that distinction before chowing down.
Imitating predators' diets is risky, since they may have adapted immunities to poisons we haven't.

You might end up on a planet without a magnetic field or ozone layer to shield the UV radiation,
where life may have evolved over time to shield its cells or its DNA, but you would be vulnerable
and suffer from it.

If the axial tilt was much greater than Earth's, then you
might need to migrate very long distances to escape the heat or cold,
and journey thru multiple unfamiliar ecosystems and terrains along the way.

Furthermore, infectious diseases might be devastating to us since we have
evolved no antibodies or cellular agents to fight whatever awaits us.
(Alternately, certain alien diseases might have no way to make use
of our cell structures, and therefore be innocuous, but in the absence
or this knowledge it's a dangerous gamble.)

My point is, given a multiverse portal machine,
you would need to be very, very picky which world(s) you choose to visit,
even among those that have moderate climates and macroscopic life forms.

Last edited by Fatal-Noogie on 22 Jan 2013, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 3:46 am

everything was so much simpler on star trek. :duh:

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

22 Jan 2013, 3:52 am

I have a question to add to those posted by the OP.

If you traveled to an alternative universe, who would you
want on your expedition crew (or would you go alone)?

If visiting an intelligent civilization, I would want a multilingual, code-cracking mathematician,
an artistic diplomat/anthropologist, and an astronomer with a doctorate in telecommunications engineering.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 1:09 pm

A janitor is who I would want to travel with me.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 5:36 pm

Why, a universe where everyone has AS and small talk is punishable by death (or something) ;)

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2013, 8:29 pm

auntblabby wrote:
everything was so much simpler on star trek. :duh:

The one where Spock has a beard.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 10:27 pm

^^^
i long thought that episode should've been a spin-off for an alternate star trek series specializing in the dark side.

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2013, 8:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
i long thought that episode should've been a spin-off for an alternate star trek series specializing in the dark side.

I would pay 1500 Republic credits to see that. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 10:30 pm

^^^
in today's world of youtube, some talented and enterprising artist could make it so.

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2013, 11:03 pm

Oh i'm certain we could find somebody on this site to play spock... hah. :!:

gnatterfly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2013, 4:59 pm

In a universe where I could consolidate all my ideas into words that actually describe what I am thinking....maybe one where I could know what I am feeling....I have a hard time knowing what I feel, and finding the words to describe my ideas. The thoughts are loud and clear but when I open my mouth, nothing happens :cry: and I end up sounding like a big idiot with only half an idea or answer, or question!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 5:23 pm

For those who read "The Probability Broach" by L. Neil Smith. I would like to live in the alternate time line world where the federal putdown of the whiskey rebellion failed in 1794, and both Hamilton and Washington were killed. We would have a libertarian version of the U.S.
I like that time line better than the one I am in.

Alexander Hamilton was a curse on this republic.

ruveyn

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 8:24 am

gnatterfly wrote:
In a universe where I could consolidate all my ideas into words that actually describe what I am thinking....maybe one where I could know what I am feeling....I have a hard time knowing what I feel, and finding the words to describe my ideas. The thoughts are loud and clear but when I open my mouth, nothing happens :cry: and I end up sounding like a big idiot with only half an idea or answer, or question!

How about one where you did not have to talk at all? All you had to do was consciously think the thought into the recipient's head and they would understand. I hate physically talking. It feels like work, and is slow and tedious and often unreliable.

I would like a unniverse in which I could control fields. So yes, I would be able to fly. And maybe space travel.

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2013, 4:44 pm

ruveyn wrote:
For those who read "The Probability Broach" by L. Neil Smith. I would like to live in the alternate time line world where the federal putdown of the whiskey rebellion failed in 1794, and both Hamilton and Washington were killed. We would have a libertarian version of the U.S.
I like that time line better than the one I am in.

Alexander Hamilton was a curse on this republic.

ruveyn

I would kind of agree there too. BTW, I live in the area where the Whiskey Rebellion took place. :) BTW, about L. Neil Smith, if you are familiar with it, "Roswell, Texas" would be a fun one too.