Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AsAdam2Eve
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2007, 4:19 pm

I just spent quite a bit of time on the Web exploring satanism, both LeVey and spiritual. I read quite a few sites, their sermons, and also read through the works of Anton LaVey. It was quite an interesting and enlightening experience.

Has anybody else ever done this? Would anybody like to share their thoughts on the subject?

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 4:49 pm

thelema is interesting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelema

http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0220.html

"love is the law; love under will"

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 5:08 pm

LaVey Satanism is only religion with a moral code similar to my own. Therefore I tend to identify myself as a LaVey Satanist.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 5:57 pm

No, but, I always found it interesting that Jesus' powers began only after his exchange with Satan, and that, whilst Jesus supposedly turned down Satan's offer of earthly dominion, in Revelations, Jesus is referred to as none other than "The prince of the kings of the earth." Jesus also calls one of his own apostles Satan, the one on whom he founds his church. And of course the rabbis who saw Jesus consistently insisted that his power was derived from a satanic and demonic source.

I actually believe in Jesus in some weird way, but, this is something that has always troubled me and is not resolved, in my mind.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 6:01 pm

AsAdam2Eve, more specifically to your post, I have read the Satanic Bible, and I would not recommend following the creed of selfishness it puts forth, even if the rest of the hypocritical world does. The norm of the world is self-interest and greed; one would do best to rise above the crowd, and not behave like everyone else in the herd.

CeallachSolomon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2007, 2:22 pm

en_una_isla wrote:
AsAdam2Eve, more specifically to your post, I have read the Satanic Bible, and I would not recommend following the creed of selfishness it puts forth, even if the rest of the hypocritical world does. The norm of the world is self-interest and greed; one would do best to rise above the crowd, and not behave like everyone else in the herd.

Well spoken, en_una_isla. It's best to make your own way, and not just follow what others tell you. Besides, how can you know unless you experience things for yourself? Every person can only decide how he or she perceives this world; relying on someone else to do it for you is like living a life that isn't your own.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2007, 2:35 pm

Satanism was a good sprinboard for my philosophies, and further, is the only religion that reflects my moral, intellectual, and ethical standards. But I find it better as a starting point than as a philosophical resting ground. I do find many of the believers to be very self centered and arrogant, from what I've seen. As far as the "religion" goes, it's confusing really, because they will NOT talk about things like magick to an outsider at all, instead they'll say "we're atheist, we don't believe in those kinds of things".... But, they do use magick, they just take it at a more scientific understanding, that magick is energy flow.... Which was initially explained in Aleister Crowley's book "Magickal Theory in Practice".
Looking back on it now, some of the things they endorsed like greed and what not, I'd have to agree with en-un-isla (did I get your SN right lol?).... I do find it to be a very positive thing to be more open with their sexuality. But, ultimately, the major faults I'm finding with it are that like all religious atheists (atheism so strong it becomes a religion, which is a pretty word for a cult), they tend to use their "animal roots" as an excuse to justify evil. But satanism has given me alot as a place to take my philosophies off from in my early days.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2007, 3:20 pm

snake321 wrote:
As far as the "religion" goes, it's confusing really, because they will NOT talk about things like magick to an outsider at all, instead they'll say "we're atheist, we don't believe in those kinds of things".... But, they do use magick, they just take it at a more scientific understanding, that magick is energy flow.... Which was initially explained in Aleister Crowley's book "Magickal Theory in Practice".

"Who knows the Dao keeps silence. He who babbles knows it not."

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2007, 7:56 pm

What's that supposed to mean?...... Are you talking smack?

goomba
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2007, 8:28 pm

I haven't ever ordered a copy of the Satanic Bible, but I did read into religions quite a bit as six years ago. Due to the amount of time I devoted to this task on a daily basis, I suppose it was an obsession of sorts. Anyway, Satanism did pique my interest. I liked the philosophy, as it did seem to reflect my own personal philosophy at the time. I mean, I wasn't about to run around saying that I was a Satanist, but unlike Christianity, Satanism was something I believed I would be able to adhere to. This may sound very strange, but I had a spiritual experience which taught me many things, and suggested a course of action in my life. Basically, I was "told" that humanity and all life is connected on Earth, and that my life should be, in part, devoted towards bettering the human condition and the condition the Earth is in. To work harmoniously with others and promote a peaceful way of being. I would say this experience still inspires me and drives me today. I have failed many times over in my life, but I will keep trying until I get it right and succeed. I do not expect to create any large scale or permanent change, rather I would enjoy nuturing and providing for another, when I am more able to do so. With all things I do, I try to create minimal waste as well. I cannot relate to the Satanism philosophy anymore now since having this experience. Anyway, that is the extent of my own spiritual experiences. I remember when I was little, I tried praying and believing, but I just couldn't get it to work. I'm still an atheist today, and that hasn't really changed (although sometimes I can find myself wavering from Atheist to Agnostic, and back again).

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2007, 10:33 am

The Ordo Templi Orientis?

here you are: http://www.textfiles.com/occult/OTO/

mostly uninteresting, really.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 10:54 am

snake321 wrote:

not at all. i thought it was quite self explanatory. is it not?

Adam Smith

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 4:30 pm

There was a time in my life when I considered myself a Laveyan satanist. I do indeed agree with the majority of his philosophy, however, i don't believe that the human is merely a carnal being. I don't believe that spirituality is an invention of man's carnal mind. I believe that spirituality and carnality go hand in hand and each person needs to find their own balance of the two.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 10:19 pm

peebo wrote:
snake321 wrote:

not at all. i thought it was quite self explanatory. is it not?

Oh, lol, cool, well I didn't accuse you though, I just asked. That's cool.

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Jan 2007, 11:23 am

McJeff wrote:
You're as big a joke as Muhamad the dirty pigdog is.

That's a completely unacceptable thing to say.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 2:47 pm

McJeff wrote:
Appeasers like you are almost as bad as the muzzies and hezbos themselves.

I dont even know where to begin with this statement. I love how "peace" always has 'negativity' attached to it for some reason.