I made the wrong subject choices at school

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Raj2442
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jan 2013, 4:41 am

It's summer holiday's here in Australia and, at the end of last year, I had to choose my subjects for year 10. I had only 2 days (less than two days. Eating, sleeping, homework, chores, etc gave me about an hour of time to decide my choices) to choose my subjects because I was away on the day they were handed out. I chose French and German (I could only pick two subjects). But I have Asperger's. If I have trouble with the English language, how the heck am I supposed to learn two new languages. I want to change to Art and Drama but I think it's too late. My dream right now is to be an actor and singer (I didn't know what i wanted to do before the holiday's so i just picked french and german because the other subject choices i didn't like very much)

I was planning on pretending I forgot what I chose. I would also telling them I have trouble making big choices with little time (that's true) and that I had nowhere near enough time to make a good decision (that's true as well) and that I was under pressure and stressed (that's true too) and that the German and French choices were last minute (they actually were last minute. The last night before I had to hand the papers in I picked French and German and have no time in the morning to do stuff like that. So it really was last minute). But I feel it's too late. What can I do?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 4:58 am

if the classes haven't started yet, i think being honest is the best way.
make an appointment with your schools subject coordinator (or however he is called) and explain that you thought your choices over and want to change it, for the reasons you mentioned here.

choosing the right courses in school is important, and you should not be stuck with a wrong choice you made under pressure.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2013, 7:50 am

Raj,

See someone about it as soon as you can, even before school starts if possible. I shouldn't think it would be a problem for you to change classes if you do it early. Have you or your parents got an email address for the person in charge of subject choices?

Be confident and polite. Remember, this is your schooling. You need to take the subjects you are interested in. Don't be afraid to say what you want. Say that you made a mistake and would like to change your choices. If you are asked why, be honest. You have good, honest reasons. You don't need to pretend to forget what choices you made.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

JBlitzen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2013, 1:49 am

Raj, newsflash, even very normal people sometimes change their minds.

And large mistakes are usually most easily corrected early on.

Head this thing off at the pass. Call your school today or tomorrow and explain that you've been thinking it over and you'd like to change your subjects if at all possible.

That's all they need to hear, and it's a perfectly valid and normal thing to say. Reflecting on your choices and wanting to make changes is very healthy and positive.

(ETA: Here I am reflecting on how I worded that. I don't like my overuse of "and", but I'm not sure how to fix it. Oh well, I think my point is clear so I'll leave it be. See? Perfectly normal.)

(ETA 2: It's the people who aren't reflective, and who never admit mistakes, that I worry about. They're the sad ones because they're forever trapped by their choices.)

Devotchka
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2013, 5:31 am

What I really like about school/courses in general is that there is much to choose from and you can really have fun exploring things that pique your interests. Many people are not certain what they want to do in life as a career even while into their college studies; and it's great to be able to try out something new while studying, it's only for a few months anyway so there is really nothing to lose.

In addition, you also see how these courses that you tried out can be assets to your chosen career path. Aside from Italian, French and German are languages in which many famous operas have been written in, and thus are a typical course requirement for vocal students. Taking any foreign language/linguistic course is good for actors and singers as they help improve diction, tone recognition/production, and expand the variety of roles that you will be able to play.
Of course it would be beneficial for you to take drama, but don't overlook the advantages of what you are currently enrolled in.
Good luck!