They want to abolish Aspergers diagnosis!

Page 7 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 6:28 pm

essentially that is just a lowest common denominator argument. Most likely down to your own story.

It wont change the reality that the social concept exists now and awareness from shows like house and big bang happened. Deal with it.

Reducing it to the sensitivity of ego based "special snowflakes" is simply your own expression of ego not anything else. You also belay that its not an "actual ASD" whereas so many others passionately suggest its the same thing.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 6:31 pm

I disagree with most of that but not the last sentence

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Personally, I'm a pragmatist before I'm anything.

I'm more interested in what a "label" can do for me as opposed to being "labeled" for the sake of having a "label."

They can re-diagnose me as NVLD, "social anxiety," or whatever, and I will be happy as a clam providing I still can get accommodations and my Shrink keeps up a steady supply of happy pills. If people are worried about getting treated badly because "autism" isn't as "cool" as "Aspergers" then we need to do something about how society views "autism."

Setting ourselves apart as an "elite clique" isn't going to help ourselves, or anybody else struggling with disabilities.

I agree with all of this, although I am fairly fixated on having the "correct" labels. NVLD and social anxiety do not fit me at all. I would be okay with being diagnosed with anything that actually fits my difficulties, symptoms, and impairments, but not things that do not fit.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 6:39 pm

quite clearly the issue is "locus of control/identity".

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Jan 2013, 6:42 pm

answeraspergers wrote:
quite clearly the issue is "locus of control/identity".

How do you mean?

I am still trying to find an appropriate place for locus of control. Mostly internal, but some things seem to be external. I resent those things.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 6:42 pm

answeraspergers wrote:
I clarified that also and previously.

Thanks for clarifying it previously also.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 6:48 pm

answeraspergers wrote:
essentially that is just a lowest common denominator argument. Most likely down to your own story.

It wont change the reality that the social concept exists now and awareness from shows like house and big bang happened. Deal with it.

Reducing it to the sensitivity of ego based "special snowflakes" is simply your own expression of ego not anything else. You also belay that its not an "actual ASD" whereas so many others passionately suggest its the same thing.

I believe you're not like this, but I have read stuff that makes me wonder just what it is people are thinking. Is it ego? I don't know, but it does strike me as extremely dismissive of people who were diagnosed with autism.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 6:52 pm

There are clear divisions between the two groups - i.e. those with internal or external "51%'s"

I would say my major share holder is me.

I'm sure there are valid reasons you resent those things.

I'm sorry today - I'm not happy with WP. I will answer you at some point.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 6:54 pm

answeraspergers wrote:
There are clear divisions between the two groups - i.e. those with internal or external "51%'s"

I would say my major share holder is me.

I'm sure there are valid reasons you resent those things.

I'm sorry today - I'm not happy with WP. I will answer you at some point.

It's fine.

I think having an internal locus of control is one reason my depression has been easy to manage over the past few years. But when it came back, I felt like it was an intruder and could find no logical reason for it to come back. It leaves me wondering about things that are external to me, and it is frustrating to contemplate.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 6:56 pm

Is it ego?

Yes.

Answer observing ego.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 6:59 pm

It leaves me wondering about things that are external to me, and it is frustrating to contemplate - you need less holes in your boundary function imo.

You know locus of control - do you know what i mean with that? Not trying to sound condescending.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 7:14 pm

I know what locus of control is, I do not know what you meant when you brought it up, which is why I asked.

I am also curious as to what you mean by "Is it ego?"

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 7:44 pm

i don't expect the thread is going to recover sensibly under the sheer weight of provocative and belittling posts. enough is enough. thread locked.