Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Oct 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 675

02 Feb 2013, 11:34 pm

Dox47 wrote:
You can actually rent a room pretty cheaply in the University District, which if you've been living with room mates might not be too bad of an option for you. Our public transportation is excellent, the crime, even in the lower income areas is pretty low (the whole city averages around 20 murders a year), and there are a lot of different scenes around town. The weather might be a dealbreaker for you, as though we don't actually get all that much rain in terms of total water volume, what we do get is spread out over most of the year, with a goodly portion of the year consisting of solid grey skies. I'll be honest, that can really get to you after a while, especially if you're sensitive to weird light conditions. Also, there's this thing called the Seattle Freeze, which makes it notably hard to make friends in this town if you weren't born here. It's not like people will shun you on the street or anything, it's more like everyone is a total flake who will enthusiastically swap contact info and claim to want to do things, and then never contact you or return you calls ever. Basically, if you want a social life here, you're going to have to do most of the heavy lifting yourself. If you're a library science major, which I'm going out on a limb here and assuming means you enjoy reading and indoor pastimes, then the cruddy weather and cold shoulders might not be too much of an issue for you, but you should be aware of them before making the jump to moving here. On a personal note, I happen to run a largish (450+ members) Autism meetup group in the area, the Square Pegs, which if you do end up out here might be helpful for meeting other Aspies in the area.


So I havnt been imagining it after all. Seattle Freeze, so there is an actual term for it. I felt like people here have been distant and withholding in general. I've made friends, but I had to do most of the pursuing until we got to be closer. Also, yes, I live right next to the University District and I can agree and say that you can find a room in a house or share an apartment for $400 (lowest possible) to $600 a month. There are more than a few places for $500 ish, I pay $500 a month for a room in a house. I actually have one room (maybe two) opening up around May. maybe you can live here haha



thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,547

03 Feb 2013, 3:21 am

Washington is an amazing place and for most years has a very low crime rate. I don't think I could or would go straight edge, but if you find it's for you all the best of luck.


_________________
WRLL


cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2011
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 576

03 Feb 2013, 4:21 am

Move to Colorado. That's what all the other Hawkeyes are doing, judging by all the Herky stickers I see here.



Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,049
Location: Washington

03 Feb 2013, 2:28 pm

I wouldn't really know anything important about Seattle, as I'm kind of a recluse and I also live in Bellevue (apparently it's full of snobby rich people, hehe...), but WA in general is awesome. You should totes move here! ; v ;

...y'know, you should probably just ignore me, lol.


_________________
Averages
AS: 138.8
NT : 54.6


Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 339
Location: Iowa USA

03 Feb 2013, 3:01 pm

Dox47 wrote:
You can actually rent a room pretty cheaply in the University District, which if you've been living with room mates might not be too bad of an option for you. Our public transportation is excellent, the crime, even in the lower income areas is pretty low (the whole city averages around 20 murders a year), and there are a lot of different scenes around town. The weather might be a dealbreaker for you, as though we don't actually get all that much rain in terms of total water volume, what we do get is spread out over most of the year, with a goodly portion of the year consisting of solid grey skies. I'll be honest, that can really get to you after a while, especially if you're sensitive to weird light conditions. Also, there's this thing called the Seattle Freeze, which makes it notably hard to make friends in this town if you weren't born here. It's not like people will shun you on the street or anything, it's more like everyone is a total flake who will enthusiastically swap contact info and claim to want to do things, and then never contact you or return you calls ever. Basically, if you want a social life here, you're going to have to do most of the heavy lifting yourself. If you're a library science major, which I'm going out on a limb here and assuming means you enjoy reading and indoor pastimes, then the cruddy weather and cold shoulders might not be too much of an issue for you, but you should be aware of them before making the jump to moving here. On a personal note, I happen to run a largish (450+ members) Autism meetup group in the area, the Square Pegs, which if you do end up out here might be helpful for meeting other Aspies in the area.


thanks Dox47 i will definitely keep this on a note somewhere on my computer. I really appreciate the help and input everyone has given. it is sort of odd that people their will give out their number never expecting to answer or return. that is almost the complete opposite here, if you don't want to hangout someone or don't expects to they don't give out their phone number. It is hard to make friends here but only because one more or less must have some common tie like schools (k-12), city and all that but people are more open but one must be ready to make something of a commitment to it. I personally think i need the light of the sun to function, being from iowa full of wide open spaces, i feel trapped sometimes if i don't get a healthy dose of sunlight no matter if its seattle or wyoming. not for tanning but there is something about the way the light fills my brain that makes me more energetic outgoing. so i am pretty wary of the idea of all year fog. but thanks i won't discard your input and I will keep the group name on a document somewhere so i never lose it.



Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 339
Location: Iowa USA

10 Feb 2013, 9:52 pm

cozysweater wrote:
Move to Colorado. That's what all the other Hawkeyes are doing, judging by all the Herky stickers I see here.


really thats odd what do you suppose is the reason for that?



cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2011
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 576

11 Feb 2013, 12:48 am

300 sunny days a year, lots of hiking, biking and skiing. (It's a very active and healthy state) Denver is a really young city, average age is something like 32. Colorado's unemployment rate is usually below the national average (although right now it's 7.6% and the national average is 7.8% so that's nothing to crow about).
In terms of Iowa transplants, I don't know. I just see a lot of Hawkeye paraphernalia, which is weird for me because I grew up 14 miles from Iowa City and now I feel like I can't get away from the U of I. :?



Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 339
Location: Iowa USA

18 Feb 2013, 3:55 pm

cozysweater wrote:
300 sunny days a year, lots of hiking, biking and skiing. (It's a very active and healthy state) Denver is a really young city, average age is something like 32. Colorado's unemployment rate is usually below the national average (although right now it's 7.6% and the national average is 7.8% so that's nothing to crow about).
In terms of Iowa transplants, I don't know. I just see a lot of Hawkeye paraphernalia, which is weird for me because I grew up 14 miles from Iowa City and now I feel like I can't get away from the U of I. :?


how good is the public transportation in cololardo?



Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 339
Location: Iowa USA

18 Feb 2013, 4:02 pm

I wish seattle was more like colorado with the 300 sunny days. i am becoming more drawn to the idea of moving to seattle not only because I might want to study at UW for library science but also because I have gathered that there is a really good grass root music scene there on the west coast. iowa city is better than the whole state with perhaps exception to des moines but iowa city only has a few relatively good shows but only because it has a oversized university, without it the city would essentially disappear. There is no real good local music scene. what I mean by scene is culture, tradition fyi. But the only thing really that scares me is the idea of a whole year of solid gray skies. i have the worst trouble getting up out of bed if there isn't any morning sunshine and it really affects my mood in a bad way. i just don't know if i could ever get used to grey skies for that long.



Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 339
Location: Iowa USA

25 Feb 2013, 7:40 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Mitrovah wrote:
Could you or anyone who reads this for that matter define a 'a little money" Here in iowa I pay about maybe 300 for groceries a month and 455 for rent(a room in a house with other roommates) that includes all utlitlies heat/water/gas stove&heat/internet. it would be 15 bucks cheaper but my other roommates are water hogs. I usually walk everywhere so I don't really use my car. only for trips and big groceries purchases. So I can live on a monthly budget of about 1000 bucks a month Rent+Food+ Miscellaneous. Im not really expecting to live right downtown. I will live off the island if the public transit will take me back and forth. but living downtown would be nice for the sake of spontaneity. I know the minute i ask this same question on the city data forum(which i intend to do anyway) im going to 100's impassioned opinions. I am seriously considered selling my car before I leave to have a 4 figure bulk of cash on reserve. i would just get to Seattle driving a moving truck. Also what are the typical weather patterns in seattle. i have heard there is lots of rain and downcast days. I really need the light of the sun. Here in iowa its sunny most of the day, even in winter the sun is really bright and visible before night fall. To auntblabby I suppose 1000 a month wouldn't be enough to live in the seattle area? where near seattle could I live a thousand a month?

seattle has the benefit of the urban island [weather] effect, so it averages a bit less rain than surrounding burgs, at between 35-40" annually, it is sunnier more often [at least part of the day] than tacoma, for example. aside from the weather- as of december 2012, average rent for an apartment within 10 miles of seattle proper is $1517. add utilities, food, insurance, first and last month's rent and things start adding up. west seattle, maple leaf and downtown neighborhoods are the least expensive. the average landlord would not consider a tenant who did not net an income of at least $50k per annum. so even many teachers and nurses must live outside of seattle and commute. seattle has been mostly gentrified. unless one has a renumerative university degree [IOW a profession such as doctor/lawyer/engineer/microsofty et al] one simply can't afford to live in seattle or even king county as a whole. seattle is jammed with people and cars as it is. all things considered, i would reconsider the move to seattle, and try a pierce county city [such as tacoma] or a thurston county city such as olympia [very livable, btw] instead.


Well i got a few contradictory answers to this question of money and living so could anyone responend to auntblabby's commment either to confirm or give facts to the contrary not to be argumentative but i would like different opinions and perspectives



cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2011
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 576

26 Feb 2013, 11:36 pm

Mitrovah wrote:
cozysweater wrote:
300 sunny days a year, lots of hiking, biking and skiing. (It's a very active and healthy state) Denver is a really young city, average age is something like 32. Colorado's unemployment rate is usually below the national average (although right now it's 7.6% and the national average is 7.8% so that's nothing to crow about).
In terms of Iowa transplants, I don't know. I just see a lot of Hawkeye paraphernalia, which is weird for me because I grew up 14 miles from Iowa City and now I feel like I can't get away from the U of I. :?


how good is the public transportation in cololardo?


Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. PT really depends where you live. Where I live (just at the edge of Denver before you hit Aurora) I can take buses, light rail or (my favorite) bike trails almost anywhere in the area. Further out into the suburbs, you'll have all the same options but it'll be slower. Closer in and you can walk almost everywhere.
Denver is actually a pretty good bet. It's a growing city and has a burgeoning hipster population. And if you've got duckets you can go to DU for an MS in Library and Information Science.