5 dead in New Mexico shooting, but it is not front page news

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PM
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 12:40 am

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/20/justice/n ... index.html

Why is this not front page news?

Some are saying it is because the victims are not upper-middle class and white, but that has yet to be confirmed.

Discuss it among yourselves.

Moderators, feel free to PPR this when it turns into a debate.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 12:46 am

life is increasingly cheap here in the land of the wageslave/home of the unfree.

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2013, 12:56 am

People are shot all the time.The only reason its on cnn in the first place is because it was a kid and he killed more than one person.Stories have to attact some interest.The murderer or victims usually have to be unique or the murderer needs to kill or wound alot of people.

I mean Baltimore has 500 murders a year but most are street crimes who want to hear about some dead guy that lives a thousand miles away?I live 30 miles from baltimore and I dont even hear about on local news.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 1:10 am

'News' is not news any more...what makes headlines and gets featured on the T.V. News is what some producer thinks will 'sell'.

Sylkat

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 1:54 am

5 isn't that magic number. You need at least 7 for a tragedy, unless there's something special about the case that they can promote.

(The daily deluge of "1 person murdered" just doesn't do it for society.)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 3:02 am

It is front page news on USA Today at the very top of the page competing with a bigger picture of Obama leading up to tomorrow's inauguration

http://www.usatoday.com/news/

And, considering a "military style assault weapon" was reported associated with the incident we are likely going to hear about it as more evidence for gun control in the coming weeks. But it will have competition tomorrow with the inaugural event.

This statement below has already been reported in the LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nati ... 7364.story

"Neighbor Peter Gomez told the Albuquerque Journal he often saw the family on walks through the neighborhood, adding that Nehemiah Griego “wore nothing but camouflage stuff."

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 10:26 am

hblu1992 wrote:
who want to hear about some dead guy that lives a thousand miles away?I live 30 miles from baltimore and I dont even hear about on local news.

from a humanitarianism point of view, every life is worth saving. From nature's point of view, we can only live so long - why speed up the process?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 10:47 am

PM wrote:

Maybe because they are likely to be of Hispanic ancestry.

Didja ever notice that when a cute, blonde, blue-eyed teenaged white girl goes missing, it make the national news, but that if instead the missing person is none of these it hardly makes a ripple in the media?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 11:01 am

Fnord wrote:
PM wrote:

Maybe because they are likely to be of Hispanic ancestry.

Didja ever notice that when a cute, blonde, blue-eyed teenaged white girl goes missing, it make the national news, but that if instead the missing person is none of these it hardly makes a ripple in the media?

The victims were not rich, white, elementary school kids killed by a rich, white, sociopath.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Jan 2013, 11:05 am

Sylkat wrote:
'News' is not news any more...what makes headlines and gets featured on the T.V. News is what some producer thinks will 'sell'.

Sylkat

There is a narrative and if the story doesn't fit the narrative, it is quickly swept under the rug.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 12:24 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Sylkat wrote:

Sylkat

There is a narrative and if the story doesn't fit the narrative, it is quickly swept under the rug.

As the comedian Robert Wulhl once said: If the fact does not fit the legend, print the legend.

ruveyn

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 3:07 pm

Suicide is not reported because it starts a chain reaction.

Familycide is about the same, as so many are living on the edge.

Man kills wife, two children, self, is very common, and report it, it will be followed by more cases.

In this case I gathered the shooter was not a family member, but he knew them.

One guy said, "I have seen them passing my house many times, he lived fifty yards away, for many years, But I never spoke to any of them.

Strange stuff happens down dirt roads in New Mexico, sometimes it blows up.

There are old line religious cults that everyone knows about and never speaks of. The Flagentes, where the whip plays a leading part in family religion, which has been going on since the1500s.

There is talk of The Feast of Blood Atonement, which is human sacrifice. No one wants to ask too many questions,

It was a major part of the Aztec religion , killing and eating children.

Their diet lacked iron, meat, and the feast gave them great power and health.

The shadows of time are deep and dark in New Mexico.

It was settled by the first Spanish Aztec half breeds, The church saw them as a threat to their power in Mexico.

It is entrenched, the children are chose at a young age, and raised to be the sacrifice. They are well fed and cared for, they are a chosen one.

Recently in Mexico a group was arrested, turned in by their own, for kidnaping, killing, and eating three ten year old boys. They were not chosen, were not pure, and were stolen, not given freely by their parents.

The proper rites are enforced, and it is best to consider they are all in it together.

In, A Seperate Reality, Carlos Castanada showed some of the continued old knowledge of the Yaqui, and the Mescalero. They have evaded the Church and the Law for over 500 years.

On a Reservation the BIA formed a native Police Force. They gave them training, guns, uniforns, and four wheel drives. They were empowered to be the Law over other people, and they vanished, people, uniforms, weapons, four wheel drives, all vanished one night, and no trace has ever been found.

There are a lot of rural groups that live in remote villages in Mexico and farther south that do not speak Spanish, never accepted the culture, live in their own worldview, and come north to cut your grass.

So who told you that their was one right worldview and everyone had to do what you say? Something about, "One ring to rule them all?"

On to Mount Doom!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 4:02 pm

PM wrote:
Fnord wrote:
PM wrote:
Maybe because they are likely to be of Hispanic ancestry. Didja ever notice that when a cute, blonde, blue-eyed teenaged white girl goes missing, it make the national news, but that if instead the missing person is none of these it hardly makes a ripple in the media?
The victims were not rich, white, elementary school kids killed by a rich, white, sociopath.

I think that's it, right there.

But why? Why does it seem that a wealthy, white sociopath can kill his family and be on the front page for weeks, while a poor, non-white sociopath can kill his family and barely get mentioned a day or two later?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MadMonkey
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2013, 4:35 pm

I think it is a smaller story for a few reasons:

1) The shooter killed his own family. This does not scare most people because they KNOW their children will not murder them.
2) He was home schooled and had access to the AR-15, which probably means that his family was just the sort of far right wing nut jobs that are asking for this kind of trouble.
3) People are pretty quickly getting used to the new level of shootings, especially with so many untrained, irresponsible people running out and buying guns for the first time.
4) News agencies are adverse to loosing any audience. I lot of people see the media as piling on all the anti gun rhetoric, and so some agencies might be reluctant to make a bigger deal out of it.

I admit, number 2 is the reason I am not as upset about this one. I AM a gun owner, but if I had children and they got a hold of my guns (which they would never do) I would deserve whatever happened. Personally I think gun violations should carry far more severe penalties -- if you can't control your guns and they end up in the hands of a child then you should get life in prison with no parole. If you don't want to risk that, then you should not have a gun.

Obviously the other children killed were innocent, but the truth is society was ignoring the bad conditions they were already living in -- rural, poor, home schooled, brainwashed by doomsday enthusiasts... it is a little late to be concerned now. Why were their parents allowed to have assault weapons lying around?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 5:36 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... e/1850677/

There is more to the story that continues to be reported. What started as a family massacre, killing the mother in her sleep, was planned to continue at the local Walmart, in a Van loaded up with a shotgun and "military style assault weapon", but fortunately this young man had someone he could talk to, to convince him not to do it.

There was no public setting for cameras and interviews, but after the inaugural event is settled over it is likely going to become a larger topic in the news because it is one more incident integral to the nationwide gun control controversy. There looks there may be a copy cat element to it.

And it is still front page news on USA today, with most of the other stories dedicated to the inauguration.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 6:04 pm

MadMonkey wrote:
Obviously the other children killed were innocent, but the truth is society was ignoring the bad conditions they were already living in -- rural, poor, home schooled, brainwashed by doomsday enthusiasts... it is a little late to be concerned now. Why were their parents allowed to have assault weapons lying around?

Where are you getting this information? This young man killed his family, including a father who was a very respected Prison Chaplain in his community. His brother was a former state senator. And they were definitely not living in a poor neighborhood, as the picture of their home was photographed and is in the USA today article. It is a huge home with a swimming pool in the back yard.

I think some may be making assumptions based soley on an Hispanic name, similar to what was done initially with the Trayvon Martin case and a mug shot. Considering this boy's father's brother was a state senator, he likely had more connections than the killer of Trayvon Martin.