Once again, my disabilities cost me my job

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Evan7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jan 2013, 12:10 am

I have it bad. I've long since been diagnosed with Asperger's. On top of that, I have ADHD, dyslexia, OCD, depression, bad memory, poor posture, clumsiness, extreme anxiety, poor social skills, impulsivity, etc.
I've been in and out of therapy all my life (I'm 39, now). I've always struggled with school, only recently graduating from college with with an Associate's degree in IT Networking- thanks to Metadate.

It took me two years outside of college to find a job in IT. Since school, I have more or less gotten by on Social Security benefits. Nonetheless, I somehow managed to make it through a job interview to the point that it got me a job. In fact, a really good paying job, at one of the desired workplaces in the community. Albeit, it wasn't a direct hire, but through a staffing agency. Nonetheless, it was to be long lasting job, perhaps even becoming something permanent.

I started December 10th of 2012. My office position was ' Service Desk Technician' (with an emphasis on password support). Training was fast paced. So much was thrown at me in the first 2 weeks. I took notes. I brought my notes home to study. My job was answering the phone at an insurance agency. Financial representatives would call in with Active Directory issues, and the sort. I knew the technology, that wasn't the problem. But when I put my skills to the test, I'd clam up and my mind would go blank.

I had 3 or 4 people training me. For the most part, all of them treated me as an idiot. One trainer I had, albeit for 2 days, was an uppity young woman that would was always snippy to me. She was the type that liked to gossip. I was afraid to speak up because I was afraid I'd be making a name for myself. My last trainer, while initially, was a nice guy, quickly became impatient with me. He'd belittle me and talk down to me because I wasn't 'getting it'.

I expressed my concerns to my recruiter from the staffing agency, but she rather sweep it under the rug. She down played my concerns over I felt about those who were training me. She told me not to worry about it. I told her it that it was taking my longer to learn this but she said to take it easy and the job would come to me eventually.

Well, lo and behold, at the end of my shift this last Friday, she met me at my desk and wanted to talk to me privately. She told me that insurance agency felt I wasn't catching on, and after four weeks, they wanted to terminate my contract early. They said the learning curve for the position was 3 weeks and I was on my 4th week and they couldn't justify spending any more time, money, and resources on training me. The official statement was that I was 'underperforming'.

Here's the catch, I told, even begged, the staffing agency to tell the business that I have several disabilities that make it harder for me to learn. But the staffing agency didn't seem receptive to my suggestion that they'd help be my advocate. In fact, their attitude is that could care less. I'm accused of doing a 'bad job' when it was my disabilities that were acting as a barrier to me being successful with my job.

I want to cry. I'm fully capable of the job. I showed up to work. I wasn't there long enough to get my counselor from Independence First (an agency for people with disabilities) involved, nor my counselor from the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation to intervene on my behalf. Everything really didn't unravel until this last week.

I just feel chewed up and spat out. I'm completely drained. Disheartened. Disappointed. How am I going to retain ANY job? Am I going to be reduced to working part-time stocking groceries? I don't want to live rest of my life on Social Security (which barely supports me). I want a honest job making a livable wage.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jan 2013, 12:42 am

I am so sorry for the trouble you are having. Please don't take it as a reflection on yourself.

In my career, any staffing agency that was already paid their fee for placing me wouldn't take further interest. Of course they'll have to refund it to the employer but the choice is up to the employer.

"Learning curve" - what drivel. That job just wasn't a good match, please don't dwell on it - as hard as it must feel.

You mentioned going blank - I do that too. I don't know how they expected you to think with 3-4 people training you - the sensory input would be too high for me, I'd blank out too.

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2013, 2:02 am

The job just wasn't a good match. If you have been able to get disability benefits, then why bother with trying to fit in jobs where mediocre people work. They're not capable if understanding your disabilities. I used to get too nervous when trained for a new job and got treated like a ret*d but when they found out I got a scholarship they got all jealous.
You should pursue your passions and let the government pay while you get there.

Evan7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jan 2013, 2:09 am

The thing is that disability is barely paying me to get by. Having a job that pays a good salary provides me more freedom than what Social Security gives me. But I do agree, the job was probably not a good match.

Fawlty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2013, 2:29 am

Your story breaks my heart. Such a disappointment!

But the good news is that you are a fighter. That means that it will take some time, but one day you will find the job that fits with you.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 2:36 pm

Quote:
But when I put my skills to the test, I'd clam up and my mind would go blank.

I found that comment interesting. Do you think it was a result of the training or a result of your disability? You were saying you knew the stuff pretty well so I am curious.

Evan7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2013, 11:10 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
Quote:
But when I put my skills to the test, I'd clam up and my mind would go blank.

I found that comment interesting. Do you think it was a result of the training or a result of your disability? You were saying you knew the stuff pretty well so I am curious.

I guess what I meant is that I don't feel confident expressing what I know on the job. Part of it has to do with low self esteem. Being shy and reserved also doesn't help either. I have difficulty articulating what I know to others on the job.. I know that couple of my 'trainers' weren't probably the best fit for me. I mean, the last one I had, was too overbearing, loud, impatient, etc. I didn't feel comfortable working with someone standing over me, looking over my shoulder. The guy was too controlling and arrogant. The woman I had before him was just too snotty and bitchy to me.

So I think was a little of bit of both, my disabilities and the way I was being trained.

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2013, 10:48 am

That is one of my weaknesses as well, Verbal Articulation. I have problems trying to gather all of the verbal terms and descriptive details together in an orderly and timely fashion to explain something to someone right then and there.

Gita
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2013, 5:25 pm

I have a similar story here. I feel that I am about to lose my job because I am clumsy and can't remember everything.

I am an aspergers female, and am very artistic, and began to make things for sale at an art gallery. The art along with a pert time job actually gives me a decent living, but with the part time job alone, It would be a bit tough. (The part time job pays my rent, some bills, but that is it).

My suggestion is to find something that you can do that does not rely on being employed, and always do that on the side-- whether it is fixing & upgrading computers on your kitchen table, or making some kind of art and selling it on ETSY.

I have a theory that people like us should have several "passive" income streams where working at a job is only "incedental." Also, don't beat yourself up about these people and their rules. Obviously it is serious and you may lose your job-- but it is not the end of the world.

Peace and Blessed Be, Gita

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2013, 12:59 am

Yeah, I've been there too. Keep fighting until you find your niche. Same thing just happened to me too although I think there was more to it, office politics most likely. It hurts, I get discouraged at times, but we have to go on.

One TV-movie I remember as a kid was one called "Second Chance" made by ABC in 1972. It starred Brian Keith, William Windom, Juliette Prowse and Elizabeth Ashley. It was where a millionaire (Keith) bought a ghost town in Nevada (probably near Pahrump (I miss Art Bell BTW)) where people who needed a second chance would live, run businesses and grow. It was sort of like a "Galt's Gulch" in a way. If I hit the powerball for a huge amount, I'd do something like that for us Aspergers' and NT's who feel screwed by the system.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Feb 2013, 3:59 am

Office politics is terrible, because it's full of social cues, many of which are intentionally misleading.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 8:16 am

It doesn't sound like you were up to the job. If you wanted to use your collection of disabilities as an excuse, you should have been open and honest before starting.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Feb 2013, 8:45 am

It's not an excuse. I have been not only up to my jobs but the best to be had, earning top salary in a complicated field, and getting fired every 2-3 years. I could do the job. I couldn't do the social stuff. It's not an "excuse" - it's a fact.

You say "open and honest" - how about shooting myself in the foot? How about not job hunting at all? It is not my experience that anyone will hire me if I tell them about my trouble with eye contact social cues.

There is no dishonesty in not mentioning Asperger's. Witness the fact that it is against the law for them to ask.

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 1:43 am

There is a company that hires 75% autistics to do program testing or something. I can find their name if you want. They operate in Denmark, Iceland, and a few other countries- don't remember which.
There are also asperger employment assist agencies that work with employers to get suitable work for aspies. They educate them about how to train and cater for the requirements of aspies. I know there is at least one in the US.

I don't know which country you are in, but maybe you should look around for this sort of thing? They will understand your past, and your limitations, as well as he fact that you are useful and talented in your own way.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 12:18 pm

i have stopped working for good organisation or high paid jobs because they treat me indifferently or belittle me

i have been working currently for a small time NGO teaching slumkids spoken english, keeps me happy, pays me enough
and not much degradation

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 7:49 pm

If so, when I was there a while ago, I used to see ads all the time for this place. http://joininfo.ca/ODSP

If not, then see if your government runs something similar.

That is unreasonable to have four weeks' probation with no follow up evaluation meetings that were formal. If that is the way it happened, then that is sloppy management. Though I am younger, I can definitely say that managers do not always tell you why you are being let go, and that is darn cowardly. I am in very low level management, and can tell you that I have never seen a probation that was less than three months.

This is the first time. That I might actually pass a probation period, and it is a one year long one.

Tina