Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

tromboneking
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jan 2013, 11:23 pm

Earlier this evening I was a little upset and just felt like going to bed. Why? I felt like I had nothing to do this Friday night!

My biggest issue with my school and the freshmen here is that there is a HUGE Greek Life component and my whole hallway loves to go to parties.

Let me start out by saying that I don't really care for college parties; and sometimes I just don't get why other people (mostly NTs) do! It is such a superficial method of finding women/men (for one night stands) and making "friends." I don't drink much either because alcohol is bad with my anxiety meds (one time I did try jungle juice that had codeine in it; f*** that s**t).

I do have a good friend that I sometimes spend time with, but here is the famous boomerang that just keeps coming back to me- envy. He's found a girl to hang out with. She's beautiful. On one hand I'm jealous that he was able to find someone- but on the other hand I'm paranoid that he's gonna only care about hanging out with her! It all sounds so selfish, I know.

I don't think I can ask for advice on this one- I'm just throwing out into a like-minded community. It's just frustrating- why can't I just have a regular group of people to hang around with? Why can't I just be happy for my friend? Why can't I enjoy parties (do I even want to)? Why can't I just stop worrying about girls entirely?

cammyyy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jan 2013, 12:31 am

Get a job so you don't have time to waste on trivial meaningless things like chasing girls or pretending to care about parties. I much prefer making money to wasting my time partying any day of the week.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 12:39 pm

You mean you don't have homework? If mostly everyone is gone it could be a good time to listen to music as well.

BookPerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2013, 1:18 pm

I understand what you're saying. I go to a school with a similar weekend environment and a huge Greek life aspect to campus. I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to go to parties. I have often felt the same way (I also don't party and aren't in a fraternity).

I think "most people" go to parties because they really don't care. They just want something to do and they follow the other sheep. They'd rather go get drunk and do stuff that really doesn't matter, as opposed to reading a book, listening to good music, watching a good film, or otherwise engaging their intellect. Why? Because I think that "most people" (with many exceptions) don't want to think. If they didn't party or do other things, they'd probably get bored.

I struggled with finding a good group of friends in my first semester of college. But I eventually did find an absolutely wonderful group of people. I did it through being involved in clubs and activities that were interesting to me. Maybe this is something you could look at doing?

Do you really want to enjoy parties, or is it that you want a group of friends? I'd guess the latter. Parties may never be your thing, and, if they're not, accept it! :D

As for girls, I sometimes feel similarly. It's just one of those things. There's probably someone who could better advise you on that. Maybe just participate in some clubs and activities, and you might have a better chance of meeting a girl you fancy.