Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

26 Jan 2013, 1:19 am

Basically, this is the inverse of stevenjacksonftw7's thread.
------
1. Writer; I mean, being that I am a right-brained sort of person, this is something I excel at.
2. Teacher: Even with the recent tragedies, it seems less demanding than other jobs for such like us.
3. Sports announcer.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 1:27 am

Sports announcer, really? That requires a lot of public speaking skill. Can be learned of course.

Let's see...

Any job that involves your special interest.

Jobs requiring focusing on small details: Some factory jobs; repair work; proofreading/editing; custodial work; laboratory work.

Jobs involving repetitive tasks and routines which are the same every time: Mail carrier, assembly line worker.

Jobs involving organization and arrangement of ideas and objects: Librarian, accountant, graphic designer, statistician.

Jobs requiring minimal human contact, or which involve working with animals rather than humans.

Night shift work.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Sylant
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2013, 1:42 am

I go to a social group meeting with others that have Aspergers, and 2 out of the 8 people there are architects and they love it, so I imagine it must be a good fit for people with Aspergers.

I honestly see no limiting factors, if somebody is willing to put their mind to it anything is possible. Even things like customer service or telemarketing can be a viable job, it wont come as naturally as it seems to for others but that doesn't mean it's unachievable if it's what a person truly wants in life.

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jan 2013, 1:54 am

Callista wrote:
Any job that involves your special interest.
Well, that just summed it up. /thread

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 1:56 am

equestriatola wrote:
Basically, this is the inverse of stevenjacksonftw7's thread.
------
1. Writer; I mean, being that I am a right-brained sort of person, this is something I excel at.
2. Teacher: Even with the recent tragedies, it seems less demanding than other jobs for such like us.
3. Sports announcer.

1. machine code programmer
2. mathematician
3. actuary

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 2:17 am

Box stacking; so logical and easy to predict. I know of a few with AS who love doing such for their job.

It's Tetris!

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 2:20 am

Something that is tech heavy with low social interaction. I have enjoyed the work enviorenment of the lab. I run experiaments and don't socialize with people the outside on the job.

I still cant fathom how an aspie could be a teacher. A teacher has to manage a class of 20-30 students, thats a lot of people. Unless your teaching very small classes or tutoring. I've had people suggest teaching to me and I was like hell no!

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 2:35 am

Ai_Ling wrote:
Something that is tech heavy with low social interaction. I have enjoyed the work enviorenment of the lab. I run experiaments and don't socialize with people the outside on the job.

I still cant fathom how an aspie could be a teacher. A teacher has to manage a class of 20-30 students, thats a lot of people. Unless your teaching very small classes or tutoring. I've had people suggest teaching to me and I was like hell no!

I was actually thinking of going into teaching for a while. Ultimately, the additional schooling required turned me off to that idea, but in hindsight, I could imagine myself getting very, very flustered at having to deal with a classroom of kids.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 3:03 am

I could see me being a teacher of creative writing or music theory and songwriting...but only to college age students. The younger minds like to challenge too much just for the sake of challenging and it's aggravating.

Devotchka
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jan 2013, 3:23 am

From what I've heard being a veterinarian is quite spectrum-friendly; it's what I'm studying to be and have wanted to be ever since I was younger. I can't imagine doing anything else for a career and truly enjoying it like I would being a veterinarian. I think that is what's most important in career choice, choose something you are passionate about and won't get tired of doing.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 3:58 am

Devotchka wrote:
From what I've heard being a veterinarian is quite spectrum-friendly; it's what I'm studying to be and have wanted to be ever since I was younger. I can't imagine doing anything else for a career and truly enjoying it like I would being a veterinarian. I think that is what's most important in career choice, choose something you are passionate about and won't get tired of doing.

I grew up wanting to be a veterinarian but became interested in math and physics my last year or two in high school.

In 7th grade, when we had to write our first research paper, mine was titled "Common Diseases of the Horses's Hoof".

chamthabo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2013, 4:05 am

Computer engineering, I am studying this now.
Good income, and I don't need to cope with many people to work effectively.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 4:15 am

chamthabo wrote:
Computer engineering, I am studying this now.
Good income, and I don't need to cope with many people to work effectively.

Many large computer/IT firms are aspie friendly because autistic traits make for better programmers. Secondly many of the future IT jobs will be online and you could work from home.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 6:53 am

I would love to work in a train station or a laboratory.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2013, 7:26 am

My son (6) told me today that he is going to be a zoo-keeper :)

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2013, 8:31 am

Doctor! You need the ability to learn and remember a really big curriculum and to treat really sick and/or dying people without your emotions/empathy getting in the way of your objectivity.