Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Arran
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2013, 6:29 am

Is anybody here fluent in classical Arabic and has read the original Arabic Qu'ran?

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 6:30 am

I have read various verses in Arabic ... and am happy to read a verse or two in Arabic for you. I'm not an expert in classical Arabic, but I can do just fine most times.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 6:36 am

Arran wrote:
Is anybody here fluent in classical Arabic and has read the original Arabic Qu'ran?

That would exclude the vast majority of the world's Muslims, because the vast, vast majority of them can't speak Classical Arabic. Or, indeed, much if any Arabic.

Didn't I hear tell that the Quran wasn't written in Classical Arabic but something like Syriac?

Cei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2013, 7:22 am

Most definitely not. I plan on learning, though.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 7:32 am

Cei wrote:

I wish you the best of luck and I'm quite sincere about that.

The recitation of Quranic verses in Arabic via the adhan does have a kind of haunting beauty to them as kafir, but I wouldn't want to be woken up by it at 5:30am in the morning any more than you'd want to have this blasted at you at the same time:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48YxyR-PSi8[/youtube](Yes, I still miss it and I still think it should be put back there.)

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 7:53 am

Cei wrote:

Might take a good while to master classical Arabic. Even Arabic-speaking people like me struggle with it at times.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:06 am

MCalavera wrote:
Might take a good while to master classical Arabic. Even Arabic-speaking people like me struggle with it at times.

I think it's cruel, myself.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:14 am

Tequila wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

I think it's cruel, myself.

In what way?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:16 am

MCalavera wrote:
In what way?

Making the true message of Allah so nearly impossible to understand for most Muslims. They have to rely on imperfect translations.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:17 am

Tequila wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
In what way?

Making the true message of Allah so nearly impossible to understand for most Muslims. They have to rely on imperfect translations.

Ah, yeah, I get what you mean. How convenient, eh?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:51 am

Arran wrote:

No, I have it at home, but translated into my language.

Arran
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2013, 1:24 pm

Tequila wrote:

This situation has absolutely nothing to do with the Arabic Qu'ran. The blame rests with past and present governments of Muslim majority countries which demand their citizens to use a language other than classical Arabic such as Urdu, Bangla, Turkish etc.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 1:32 pm

Raziel wrote:
Arran wrote:

No, I have it at home, but translated into my language.

Be aware that translations contain bias both intentional (for example the KJV) and unintentional.

"Perfect" translation between two very different languages is impossible if for no other reason than the cultural baggage.

ruveyn

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 1:35 pm

Arran wrote:
The blame rests with past and present governments of Muslim majority countries which demand their citizens to use a language other than classical Arabic such as Urdu, Bangla, Turkish etc.

So you're advocating Arab imperialistic policies now? Dearie me.

Hell, most Arabs don't speak Classical Arabic any more!

Last edited by Tequila on 26 Jan 2013, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arran
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2013, 1:48 pm

Tequila wrote:
So you're advocating Arab imperialistic policies now? Dearie me.

All I asked is whether anybody has read the Qu'ran in Arabic and then you butt into the discussion and start acting as a troll.

I couldn't care less whether the people in question have classical Arabic, English, or Klingon as their mother tongue.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 1:53 pm

Arran wrote:
All I asked is whether anybody has read the Qu'ran in Arabic

As I was trying to point out, speakers of Modern Arabic (like MCavalera) have trouble understanding the Quran because of a small matter of those tomes being written well over a millennium ago. It's like expecting a book written in best Anglo-Saxon to be easily accessible to 21st century Brits.

What real use is Arabic in the modern world unless you a) live in the Middle East or b) you want to research Arab culture or Islam?