Page 10 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

MadMonkey
Raven
Raven

30 Jan 2013, 3:29 pm

I think there is a difference between being a better country and having a better situation.

I like Mexico more than the US. I prefer the food, culture, people, music, environment etc. But I would much prefer to live in the US, because Mexico is a dangerous place controlled by criminals.

Which is "better"?

Arran
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2013, 4:03 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
4.) We are not a political nation. Politics do not fire us up. Many Americans appear uninformed, and they are. It's not fair to say the government or the media prefers that we are. Rather, most Americans go about their daily lives, and frankly, they have the luxury not to care about world or national events. Exceptions do exist, but they prove the rule.

What is the reason for this? The American politicians and media like to paint the US as being the world's shining beacon of democracy, but in reality it is a nation that is generally less democratic with its citizens showing a much lower participation in politics than in western Europe.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 4:15 pm

Arran wrote:

What is the reason for this? The American politicians and media like to paint the US as being the world's shining beacon of democracy, but in reality it is a nation that is generally less democratic with its citizens showing a much lower participation in politics than in western Europe.

Avoiding contact with an unclean thing might be a sign of virtue.

Politics has long been the Lying Game. Why should truthful people besmirch themselves?

ruveyn

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 4:20 pm

MadMonkey wrote:
I think there is a difference between being a better country and having a better situation.

I like Mexico more than the US. I prefer the food, culture, people, music, environment etc. But I would much prefer to live in the US, because Mexico is a dangerous place controlled by criminals.

Which is "better"?

This is correct. I am considering emigrating to the Philippines to escape the high cost of living. In this country, theres no way i can afford a house. Over there, it might be within my grasp.

My deviant art profile

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 5:38 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQIt4B0Lxw[/youtube]

"Cuz ya do know folks, Ya do know, livng in this country you know, that every time you're exposed to advertising you realize once again that America's leading industry, America's most profitable business is still the manufacturing, packaging, distribution, and marketing of BS. High quality, Grade A, Prime cut, Pure American BS.

And the sad part is, Most people seem indoctorinated to believe that BS only comes from certain places, certain sources. Advertising, politics, salesmen, not true. BS is everywhere, BS is rampant. Parents are full of s**t, teachers are full of s**t, clergymen are full of s**t, and law enforcment people are full of s**t, this entire country is completely full of s**t, and always has been, from the Declaration of Independance, to the Constitution, to the Star Spangled Banner, it's really nothing more than one BIG steaming pile of red white and blue all Americian BS.

Because think of how we started, think of that. this counrty was founded by a group of slave owners, who told us "ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL." oh yea "All men," except for indians, and ni-, and women. Right? Always like to use that Authentic Americian language. This was a small group of "unelected" white male land-holding slave owners, who also suggested, that thier class be the only one allowed to vote now thats what's known as being stunningly, and embarrisingly full of s**t.

and I think American's rear thier ignorance when they say they want thier politicians to be honest. What are these f*****g cretins talking about!? If honesty were suddenly introduced into american life, the whole system would collapse! (Enron, Worldcomm, etc, etc, etc.) No one would know what to do! Honesty would f**k ths country up.

And I think deep-down Americans know that, thats why they elected and reelected Bill Clinton. You betcha. Because the american people like thier BS right up front where they can get a Good Strong Whiff of it.

Clinton might be full of s**t but at least he lets you know it. Doesn't he? Dole tried to hide it, Dole kept saying "I'm a plain and honest man." BS,people don't believe that. what did Clinton say? He said "Hi folks, I'm completely full of s**t, and how do ya like that?" and the people said "Ya know something, at least he's honest, at least he's honest about being completely full of s**t." -George Carlin

Stefan10
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2013, 6:36 pm

I can only say: read Thomas Paine's common sense and you'll understand the classical liberal/libertarian American.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 9:44 pm

Stefan10 wrote:
I can only say: read Thomas Paine's common sense and you'll understand the classical liberal/libertarian American.

Yes. He pretty well trashes government in the first two pages. At best, government is a necessary evil.

ruveyn

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 11:53 pm

Because they are too dense to realize that they are the ones who create their government. Americans get exactly the government they deserve.

Truth be told "government" in the US does not represent any single interest. It's a bunch of different corporate oligarch factions all jockeying for their own power and interests at the expense of everyone else. It's not nearly as menacing or exciting as your old fashioned tyrannies with extreme concentrated power.