Page 1 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 7:35 pm

...have a pathological hatred and suspicion of government?

I think it is a source of mystery to the rest of the world.

My deviant art profile

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 7:49 pm

Government exists to serve itself.
Any benefit the people get is only a byproduct of it's own self-fulfillment.
It is a necessary evil for running the country but keep it small and as un-intrusive as possible.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 7:52 pm

i agree that government is self serving, the problem with contemporary government is that it represents only a small elite which is why it ends up alienating the majority. Its therefore necessary to have government owned and run by the social majority rather than one that is elected by a electoral majority twice a decade. By definition it will serve the people.

My deviant art profile

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 7:53 pm

29 members of Congress have been accused of spousal abuse.
7 have been arrested for fraud.
19 have been accused of writing bad checks.
117 have bankrupted at least two businesses.
3 have been arrested for assault.
71 have credit reports so bad they can't qualify for a
credit card.
14 have been arrested on drug-related charges.
8 have been arrested for shoplifting.
21 are current defendants in lawsuits.

In 1998 alone, 84 were stopped for drunk driving, but released after they claimed Congressional immunity.

Let me know why I should trust these clowns?

"Congress is America's only distinct criminal class" - Mark Twain.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 7:55 pm

would you rather society is led by people who have to work for your votes or by businessmen who are motivated only by profit and the interests of spending power?

My deviant art profile

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 7:59 pm

There are many reasons to distrust and dislike the government.....I personally still like the idea of communism, a classless society I think that would solve a lot of problems. But I think the closest thing I would see to that in my lifetime is maybe a somewhat large commune.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:15 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Quote:
I personally still like the idea of communism, a classless society I think that would solve a lot of problems.

How well do you think you'd fare in a gulag after being falsely accused and convicted of crimes against the state?
How about the "interrogations" that led to your confession?
How about government instituted famine?
Overcrowded living quarters?
The list goes on......
That IS the essence of real world communism.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:27 pm

If "con" is the opposite of "pro", then what is the opposite of "Progress"?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Jan 2013, 8:31 pm

We value individualism over collectivism. Who likes being told what to do and how to live your life? Europe worship government just as they worshiped their kings and queens. We've been off that reservation for a long time now.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:43 pm

thomas81 wrote:

The question is, what is wrong with the rest of the world?

Our main complaint, government that acts like they were Kings!

Acting like Ownership Government, is why we never let one party rule.

We killed a lot of people to restrict and tie down this government beast, and have to listen to the slave world babble about how we need a King to take our guns away, because only the Kings Army was empowered by God to use guns.

It is not just our view of government, let me make it clear, The Pope and The King were fountains of the people's blood for a thousand years.

Like Haiti after the slave revolt, we do not look back fondly on the past.

No Black Americans miss picking cotton on someone elses plantation.

We hate government because of the example of Europe.

Now go start a religious war or sell opium to China or something, because the voice of Europe is on it's knees living in the chains of the past.

Freedom does have it's problems, but it is better.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:53 pm

thomas81 wrote:

The United States was conceived of and invented in terms of a revolution against a government deemed to be a tyranny. Ours was one of the few revolutions that did not devolve into terror and bloodshed (vide the French Revolution and the Russian Revolution). In our revolution a too powerful government was the Bad Guy. In modern times we have a Too Powerful Government and many Americans are suspicious of it and some are outright hostile. I, for one am. Our government has devolved into the very tyranny that our Founders fought against. The U.S. government is far to embroiled in the minute details of the lives of the people and is far to prone to pick the pockets of the tax payers for bad reasons. Also our government is still fighting the Forever War which we can no longer afford to fight and will be the ruination of the United States if continued.

And you wonder why? Maybe you ought to live here for a while and comprehend what core American values are. Europeans and Brits simply cannot manage to do that. We Americans are not like you Europeans or Brits in our deep heart of hearts.

It is a source of mystery because you cannot possibly think like U.S. people. It is and always will be beyond your comprehension. We take our liberty seriously on this side of the Atlantic and we don't trust our government all that much. Given the misuse of power and the level of corruption, can you blame us?

ruveyn

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
If "con" is the opposite of "pro", then what is the opposite of "Progress"?

Sound grasp of liberty and individual rights and freedom. Your Progressivism is nothing but neo-fascist crap doodle.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 8:56 pm

thomas81 wrote:
i agree that government is self serving, the problem with contemporary government is that it represents only a small elite which is why it ends up alienating the majority. Its therefore necessary to have government owned and run by the social majority rather than one that is elected by a electoral majority twice a decade. By definition it will serve the people.

The social majority is the Mob. We need to be ruled under Law and the Law should rigorously limit the power of government. That is what we attempted to do with our Constitution. We failed.

ruveyn

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:14 pm

Raptor wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Quote:
I personally still like the idea of communism, a classless society I think that would solve a lot of problems.

How well do you think you'd fare in a gulag after being falsely accused and convicted of crimes against the state?
How about the "interrogations" that led to your confession?
How about government instituted famine?
Overcrowded living quarters?
The list goes on......
That IS the essence of real world communism.

I did say the idea of communism which does not include a state or a government running it. That is more the essence of real world corruption and facism. Besides one can already be falsely accused and convicted of crimes against the state here ideally that couldn't happen in communism.

Either way I don't see 'real world' capitalism doing much better than the 'real world' communism you describe.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:18 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

I did say the idea of communism which does not include a state or a government running it. That is more the essence of real world corruption and facism. Besides one can already be falsely accused and convicted of crimes against the state here ideally that couldn't happen in communism.

Either way I don't see 'real world' capitalism doing much better than the 'real world' communism you describe.

In a word, Communism, as Marx conceived of it, cannot be implemented in the real world. Long before the withering away of the State, will come the Dictatorship and all the death and misery that comes from dictatorships. Every attempt to establish Communism in the pure sense is doomed to fail. And do you know why? Perverse Human Nature.. It is Invincible as long as we exist as a species.

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2013, 9:21 pm

Karl Marx apparently believed that humans as a species could be forced to evolve away from their naturally selfish, greedy, and slothful nature in only a generation or two of hard labor. Obviously, history has proven him wrong.

Communism is an idealist's dream, and a realist's nightmare.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.