Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 9:19 am

b9 wrote:
BlackSabre7 wrote:
Sometimes my response is tailored to a specific audience.

yes i have noticed that. you wish to illicit replies from smarter people than me so goodnight. i wish you well

Errr, I was talking about someone else, not you.

I think you misunderstand me. I do not have any negative judgements about your intelligence. I did not actually mean anything negative toward you with any part of my previous post. You seem defensive in a way that reminds me of my husband. He is not educated and sometimes reads things into what I say because of it - when none is intended. His education status bothers him, not me. And my Dad hated school and never did well at it. Yet he is one of he smartest people I know. I have nothing but respect for him, and don't ever dismiss anyone's opinions just because of their education level. I have never asked anyone to justify their right to an opinion, although I may reserve the right to do that in certain professional arena's when my not doing so would be damaging to my own professional obligations.

My being vague sometimes is because I don't wish to offend anyone. I always state my position honestly, and try to do it tactfully and respectfully, but I have no control over how others choose to interpret it. Communication is not just what one says, it is also what the other hears.
And if I ask a question, anyone is free to answer it or not, as they choose. I have no motive other than to learn, or to try to help others.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 10:43 pm

These are directed at comments through the thread, not at anyone person.

1) Universe, as defined by modern cosmology, is what is observable. If we live in a multi"dimensional" reality, our universe is one membrane within it.

2) All cosmologists will state that BEFORE the big bang, we don't know what happened... They use the word before. Because space time did not exist, that does not preclude a "before". Current theories state that there are 11 dimension to our universe, and more than one of them is temporal in nature. Our current "4th" dimension, is listed as time... but the 8th or 11th could also have a temporal definition as well. Since we cannot move 90 degrees from our current frame works (the motion needed to explore a 5th, 6th, etc. demension), we cannot confirm this.

3) To the people that bring up god... why is god necessary in the happenings of the universe?

4) To the people who get nasty to the people who bring up god. IF a god exists, his existence fits into the grand scheme of things and is explainable by science... We haven't gotten our understanding to the point that we can prove or disprove it. If someone chooses to believe... LET THEM... it doesn't hurt you.

5) This next statement needs to be quantified first - most will say that schrodinger's cat is simply a thought experiment that does not apply to the macro... but our observations dictating the results of experiments with light and in fact causing a single electron to interfere with itself in the dual slit experiment proves that it, in some cases, is applicable on scales larger than the quantum... It has been posited by several philosophical cosmologists that the big bang happened because we are here to observe and collapse the wave form. Since the even happened previous to time, and therefore previous to causality... this may, in fact, be valid

Exploronaut
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2013, 3:15 am

Feralucce wrote:

1) Universe, as defined by modern cosmology, is what is observable. If we live in a multi"dimensional" reality, our universe is one membrane within it.

2) All cosmologists will state that BEFORE the big bang, we don't know what happened... They use the word before. Because space time did not exist, that does not preclude a "before". Current theories state that there are 11 dimension to our universe, and more than one of them is temporal in nature. Our current "4th" dimension, is listed as time... but the 8th or 11th could also have a temporal definition as well. Since we cannot move 90 degrees from our current frame works (the motion needed to explore a 5th, 6th, etc. demension), we cannot confirm this.

3) To the people that bring up god... why is god necessary in the happenings of the universe?

4) To the people who get nasty to the people who bring up god. IF a god exists, his existence fits into the grand scheme of things and is explainable by science... We haven't gotten our understanding to the point that we can prove or disprove it. If someone chooses to believe... LET THEM... it doesn't hurt you.

5) This next statement needs to be quantified first - most will say that schrodinger's cat is simply a thought experiment that does not apply to the macro... but our observations dictating the results of experiments with light and in fact causing a single electron to interfere with itself in the dual slit experiment proves that it, in some cases, is applicable on scales larger than the quantum... It has been posited by several philosophical cosmologists that the big bang happened because we are here to observe and collapse the wave form. Since the even happened previous to time, and therefore previous to causality... this may, in fact, be valid

A+ :star:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 7:42 am

i am sorry i did not read your response until now. i have a problem with reply notifications (there is a wild electrical storm outside so i better get this response written quickly in case the the power blacks out).

BlackSabre7 wrote:
b9 wrote:
BlackSabre7 wrote:
Sometimes my response is tailored to a specific audience.

yes i have noticed that. you wish to illicit replies from smarter people than me so goodnight. i wish you well

Errr, I was talking about someone else, not you.
You seem defensive in a way that reminds me of my husband. He is not educated and sometimes reads things into what I say because of it - when none is intended. His education status bothers him, not me.

i am not uneducated, and that is not the reason i presumed you snubbed what i said. i misread your post that was a response to my post as "I'd disagree with that, my response was tailored to a specific audience that does not include you", and i read no further.
i was wrong i see now that i have read the entirety of your responding post.

i am sorry that i went off "half cocked" and i can only say that i was very tired and was intending to go to bed long before i read the initial words in your post. i simply presumed that you were another intellectual snob who "politely" informed me that you were talking to people who you considered more able to understand the matters which you related.

i have a very prejudiced opinion of PPR because in the early days of my membership on wrong planet, i strayed into PPR, and i was met with continual hostility. people always lambasted my ideas because i could not provide citations to support what i said, and even though i said that i was talking from personal speculation, people told me that i was not smart enough to personally speculate because smarter people than me have speculated about the same thing before me, and i should abandon my faith in my own analysis and devote my belief to those who are prominent enough to be acclaimed.

i tried to argue that my personal raw speculation was responsible for the genesis of my ideas, and that was the final nail in my coffin in PPR.
i argued that everyone else posted only the observations and opinions of other prominent people, and i did not wish to ctrl-copy the texts that were available on the internet and chew them over, and merely discuss them. i wanted to think about it from the ground up and not to "adopt" a favorite "doctrine" and espouse that as if it were my own conclusion.

someone said to me "until you get a brain transplant and can think like einstein or bhor, then you will experience humiliation" and it was considered that my unsubstantiated ideas were likely to attract ridicule, and i realized that no one would consider my own native ideas because i did not have a following of prominent believers who endorsed what i said.

i am sorry i tarred you with the same brush that i used in my disgusted retreat from all things PPR all those years ago.

i do not know what your husband is like, but i do not feel inferior. i have not a degree in this specific subject , and i realize that i can not talk about it with credibility unless i do, and i perceived your post as saying " go away dumbass. you have not studied the words of the masters so you should not talk about what i said".

i do not feel stupid or inferior to anyone in real life, but there are very many people on this site who will not credit or even listen to my personal consideration because they see it as mediocre babble if i do not have a degree pertinent to the subject.

i hope that ends the matter. i do realize that you were not consigning me as a person who pollutes intellectual discussion to the point of rendering it as mediocre speculation in the case that i am not refuted.

bye.

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 8:36 am

Not a problem. :D
I was trying to not point out a specific person, in case they read the post, to not offend them.
I would rather hear ideas from a thinking person, regardless of their qualifications or lack of qualifications, any day of the week, over someone who stands on a piece of paper as if the Wizard of Oz told them that is their brain, and you need the paper to say so.

You know what is ironic? You probably actually have a brain much more like Einstein than the obnoxious twit who said that to you.

I don't know what you mean by PPR - I guess from the Wiki options it is Philosophy and Phenomenological Research?

Anyway, I appreciate your response, thanks :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 8:38 am

Exploronaut wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

A+ :star:

Indeed.

Stuff that needed to be said.

Except maybe the last point- its so far over my head that I cant even judge whether I agree with it or not!

Lol!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 9:17 am

BlackSabre7 wrote:
I don't know what you mean by PPR - I guess from the Wiki options it is Philosophy and Phenomenological Research?

PP&R=Politics, Philosophy & Religion, a forum on WP which is akin to intellectual scorpions in a bottle.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 9:36 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Indeed.

Stuff that needed to be said.

Except maybe the last point- its so far over my head that I cant even judge whether I agree with it or not!

Lol!

It was one of those things said in a video that was a link of a link of a link from a TED talk that took me a while to wrap my mind around, but resonates VERY deeply with me

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 9:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
BlackSabre7 wrote:

PP&R=Politics, Philosophy & Religion, a forum on WP which is akin to intellectual scorpions in a bottle.

:idea: Thanks :)