Anyone interested in making video games?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 1:37 pm

I've used Game Maker off and on for many years now, just to fool around with it and see what I could teach myself, though I have downloaded and edited a few tutorials or examples or open source projects to see how others build things. Began with version 5, and now have the registered version of number 8. Not sure if they've made any newer versions yet.

Pretty much started with a Mario fan game using someone else's Mario engine, though I had to do most of the aesthetic work. People seemed to think it was ok. It's the only game I've actually finished and shown off, so I can't say whether people would have liked any of my other projects. I thought about making a GTA clone, but it was far too complex, and while I'd like to try making an FPS, it just feels too clunky and restrictive to me to try. Have succeeded in at least what I thought was a pretty good Metroid engine. Making a turn based RPG engine has been somewhat troublesome, but I think that I could eventually do it, and I know I could definitely make something more action RPG like. I've spent enough time trying to make a Zelda fan game that I know I could at least make something decent with that in mind.

Of course I don't think any of this is anywhere near as challenging as any real programming, so I don't expect to make any kind of career out of it. Just a hobby and something to do while I'm bored.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jan 2013, 1:54 pm

I'm not so interested in making video games, I was when I started programming, but now it's like "meh". Because you can do so much more stuff with programming.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:56 pm

Anyone care to share their games or unfinished projects?

Or videos, images of it?

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2013, 4:09 pm

Uprising wrote:

Or videos, images of it?

I'm on an C++ project but i'm not sure i can reveal something yet

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 5:19 pm

Uprising wrote:

Or videos, images of it?

I'm currently working on an RPG Maker VX Ace game, but it's still in the early stages of development. Might post some screenshots of the development as it progresses, but nothing to show, right now.

When I finally get around to building my high-end PC, I'm going to be using CryENGINE 3 SDK to try to start work on a prototype of that first-person science-fantasy adventure game I mentioned in my first post. Right now, I'm just collecting concept art for it, for inspiration and motivation. Might also try prototyping that stealth-action RPS I had in mind, too, but I dunno yet. The RPS would involve less fundamental C++ coding to extend the engine functionality, but it'd also require a lot more custom assets to make it look right, even just as a prototype.

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2013, 6:02 pm

Zokk wrote:
Uprising wrote:

Or videos, images of it?

I'm currently working on an RPG Maker VX Ace game, but it's still in the early stages of development. Might post some screenshots of the development as it progresses, but nothing to show, right now.

When I finally get around to building my high-end PC, I'm going to be using CryENGINE 3 SDK to try to start work on a prototype of that first-person science-fantasy adventure game I mentioned in my first post. Right now, I'm just collecting concept art for it, for inspiration and motivation. Might also try prototyping that stealth-action RPS I had in mind, too, but I dunno yet. The RPS would involve less fundamental C++ coding to extend the engine functionality, but it'd also require a lot more custom assets to make it look right, even just as a prototype.

I'm using too RPG Maker Vx Ace but need to develop more the game document. Do you will use RTP,Custom or Donwloaded stuff?

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 6:17 pm

J-P wrote:
I'm using too RPG Maker Vx Ace but need to develop more the game document. Do you will use RTP,Custom or Donwloaded stuff?

I use RTP mostly, but if I find an asset or a script that I think would be useful, I download it. I haven't tried making my own custom assets or scripts, yet, though.

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2013, 6:22 pm

Zokk wrote:
J-P wrote:

I use RTP mostly, but if I find an asset or a script that I think would be useful, I download it. I haven't tried making my own custom assets or scripts, yet, though.

Good i use too somes rtp anyway i don't post the game on serious forum that hate RTP and maybe will post it here. And for music you wull use licensed or custom-downloader music

wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2013, 11:22 pm

Boxman108 wrote:
I've used Game Maker off and on for many years now, just to fool around with it and see what I could teach myself, though I have downloaded and edited a few tutorials or examples or open source projects to see how others build things. Began with version 5, and now have the registered version of number 8. Not sure if they've made any newer versions yet.

I've got 8.1.141 Lite (i.e. free and nags when you start it up, can get it from yoyogames). Helped set up a camp in summer 2012 to teach it, but I was there to teach chess.

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 6:36 pm

*uses a Phoenix Down on the thread!*

So, this weekend, me and my team (and by team, I mean my cousin, brother, and sister) are going to be working on a project non-stop. I'll be writing, my cousin will be designing/animating/etc., my sister's on art, and my brother's programming. No composers/sfx designers, sadly, so I guess me and my cousin will have to pick that up.

It's called Planet Alpha, and it's apparently about space colonization. Those are the constants that I am to work with, though I have no solid story in mind yet.

Wish us luck? ;B

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 6:39 pm

Yuugiri wrote:
*uses a Phoenix Down on the thread!*

So, this weekend, me and my team (and by team, I mean my cousin, brother, and sister) are going to be working on a project non-stop. I'll be writing, my cousin will be designing/animating/etc., my sister's on art, and my brother's programming. No composers/sfx designers, sadly, so I guess me and my cousin will have to pick that up.

It's called Planet Alpha, and it's apparently about space colonization. Those are the constants that I am to work with, though I have no solid story in mind yet.

Wish us luck? ;B

Nice! Science Fiction is great, we need more games with space ships. Will you be using an engine?

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 7:14 pm

Sanctus wrote:
Nice! Science Fiction is great, we need more games with space ships. Will you be using an engine?

I think we're using Unity, though I'm not sure. I actually don't know much about the game, come to think of it. I believe it's a platformer/side-shooter, and I know you control a humanoid character. That's about it, lol.

I guess I'll learn more about it tomorrow, once we officially get down to business.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 3:42 pm

Copying a post I made in Has anyone tried to make their own video games?

I have studied game programming and have worked on several games.

C++
Snake
A very simple version of snake, made in C++ using a library for the command prompt. The snake would grow as it eats and you would die if you run into yourself ( you would go through walls, I think )

Tetris
A tetris clone in SDL. It had high score functionality, rotating bricks, and you would get extra points for clearing more than one line in one go.

Notegjerne / Note Hunters
A sidescrolling platform game made with SDL. It featured a character going around collecting notes. It had spikes, lianas, warps and a bonus level.

Space Shooter
A 3D space shooter ( though you could only move sideways. ) It featured moving enemies, particle effects ( which is really cool! ), text rendering...And probably some other stuff. It was made in OpenGL 2.0.

C#/XNA
Space Shooter
A simple 2D, side scrolling space shooter game. It featured two enemies + a boss and three different weapons. It was kinda cool, but a bit too hard.

Breakout 2 player
A breakout clone for two players. The local player would play with the paddle on the bottle, having the opponent paddle on the top. This was flipped for the other player so that both would have their paddle at the bottom. They played on the same Breakout level. There was also two pickups that would affect the speed of either your or the oponents ball.

I also have a project using SDL and OpenGL 3.3 in C++. It uses lots of new OpenGL features, shaders etc. I am really happy with how far I have come. The level loads from a text file, the collision detection seems to work properly ( which was really hard to do ) and it's possible to play two players at once. It runs on both Linux and Windows. Though since I got a new computer I haven't been able to work on it.

Note: All projects above are school projects except the last one. I haven't had too much time to work on them. I have also made several games in Java for first year of school. But they weren't really interesting. But yeah, I am interrested in joining a game project as a programmer =)

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 2:58 pm

I made this post, if anyone who's posted in this thread is at all interested.