Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2007, 10:51 pm

No I'm not gonna say religious extremism, although that is just as bad too. But what I was gonna say, is there is a counter-trend developing against the pc trend, where people try too hard to be politically incorrect, and often end up sticking their feet in their mouths. While I am no fan of political correctness, I am not a fan of self-forced political incorrectness either. Just because one don't like political correctness does not mean they can go around spouting "kill all n1gg3rs" or "down with the spics" or any other form of blatant disreguard and disrespect either. It just comes off sounding childish like "hey look at me, I'm saying something that might offend some people, and that makes me so cool". It's like a teen who'se starved for attention.
I mean don't get me wrong, political correctness is STUPID. But, deliberately going out of one's way to make a mockery of it and end up saying something stupid, that's just as bad.

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2007, 12:51 am

So what you are saying is that you are in favor of some political correctness, but think it needs limitations?

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2007, 12:40 pm

I'm saying that in general I'm against political correctness, but I don't go out of my way to deliberately be politically incorrect by saying racist, sexist, or otherwise vulgar things that are not based on facts. If the "politically correct" assumption happens to prove logically correct (which it rarely does), then I'll support it.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 2:36 pm

A good famous example, Carlose Mencia. It's good that he isn't blinded by delusions of political correctness, but that's not entirely true. He is a slave to political correctness, otherwise he wouldn't have to show off and act like "wow look at me, I'm saying something that might offend someone". It's not a showboat contest. People shouldn't biligerantly say something for the soul fact that it's "politically incorrect"..... The best way to destroy political correctness is by forgetting it ever existed, don't worry about how "politically correct" or "politically incorrect" you sound, follow LOGIC.

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 4:26 pm

But comedians don't use logic. The sole purpose of being extraordinarily unPC is to show how harmless it could be.

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 6:59 pm

headphase wrote:
So what you are saying is that you are in favor of some political correctness, but think it needs limitations?

I think I agree with snake, and I don't think he was saying this.

We don't need political correctness to combat gratuitous offensivenss, and we don't need gratuitous offensiveness to combat political correctness.

It's a false dichotomy, if you like.

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 7:10 pm

codarac wrote:
headphase wrote:

I think I agree with snake, and I don't think he was saying this.

We don't need political correctness to combat gratuitous offensivenss, and we don't need gratuitous offensiveness to combat political correctness.

It's a false dichotomy, if you like.

What would be considered offensive then? If someone was actively portraying a negative stereotype, would it be ok to call them by a slur since it would be logically correct?

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 9:34 pm

I'd say so. There is a difference between a gay man and a fag, between a black man and a n****r, between a spic and a hispanic, between a white man and a cracker, and between a k*e and a jew. There is a difference between a woman and a b***h. That's really all about not deliberately following negative and defamating stereotypes. Stereotypes do exist for a reason, but it would be incorrect to stereotype an individual. Stereotyping a group is fine if the stereotype is currently fitting on the whole, but don't stereotype an individual.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 7:45 am

Human decency and logic should be enough to stop people from insulting and stereotyping others. The way I see it, political correctness, like most anything political, is bunk. It's just a fashion, even if it happened to match my principles a bit more closely than other fashions. But like any fashion, it won't last forever. And the people who followed political correctness only as a fashion will have no problem switching to the 'newer' fashions of racism and insults. Maybe even fascism. That's what scares me...

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2007, 6:53 pm

Yes, but the complacently of citizens are the reason why their countries governments are so stable.