Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

HarrisDE
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2013, 9:25 pm

I'm an American living and working in a military community in Germany.

As such, it's rather difficult to seek a diagnosis with such a limited selection of providers, let alone those who speak English natively.

In speaking briefly with this psychologist, I got the impression that she is more concerned with "treating" me, instead of giving me an official diagnosis. This diagnosis seems rather cut-ant-dry to me, but she seemed to know very little about ASDs. She did encourage me to bring along any resources that I feel might help, but she was rather evasive when I expressed the urgency of a diagnosis to help protect my job, and therefore my ability to stay in the country.

Is this reaction normal? Should I just give up on her? Should I be resolute in my persistence?

EDIT: I am self-diagnosed, two months ago. I am seeking an official diagnosis only because of my employer giving me trouble when I express my issues in the workplace, namely sensory issues and regarding humiliation tactics of others. I am the type of person to address matters resolutely and expediently. I don't have time to waste getting to where I want to be.

periphery
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2013, 9:32 pm

Not specifically relating to AS but in the past I've come across several psychologists/psychiatrists that a reluctant to give a 'label' and only interested in treating the symptoms. I think they are from the school of thought that the 'labels' are not conducive of a successful recovery. Anyway it's frustrating nonetheless, because to me, just because they won't 'name it' doesn't mean it's not there and actually having a name can be comforting in that at least it provides some context for your thoughts/behaviours/emotions etc.

HarrisDE
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2013, 9:42 pm

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. Though, I am now quite good at expressing myself and advocating my own needs. I'm just nervous, I guess. The military is big on "official" kinds of things. I have been told before by my employer that because I am not a doctor, I cannot even properly diagnose a cold, in their opinion. So, though I can appreciate that "labels are not conducive to recovery," I also know that this is nonsense, as far as my employer is concerned.

paris75007
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2013, 11:21 pm

Not all psychologists are qualified to make an autism diagnosis. They are especially difficult to do on adults, because we learn to present our nt face to the world eventually. If your doctor admits she doesn't know much about autism, you need to find another doctor. I had to travel over 100 miles to find someone to diagnose me, and i live in a metropolitan area. There are diagnostic intruments they use to get a proper diagnosis, and they have to be trained to use them. Not to mention, a doctor who is only treating your symptoms wont get very far...they were treating me for anxiety for years, without ever addressing the sensory overload that was causing it. Autism treatment is more about learning to work with your brains neurological differences, and treatments for mental illnesses are about changing behaviors. You need someone who knows that.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 12:33 am

paris75007 wrote:
Not all psychologists are qualified to make an autism diagnosis. They are especially difficult to do on adults, because we learn to present our nt face to the world eventually. If your doctor admits she doesn't know much about autism, you need to find another doctor. I had to travel over 100 miles to find someone to diagnose me, and i live in a metropolitan area. There are diagnostic intruments they use to get a proper diagnosis, and they have to be trained to use them. Not to mention, a doctor who is only treating your symptoms wont get very far...they were treating me for anxiety for years, without ever addressing the sensory overload that was causing it. Autism treatment is more about learning to work with your brains neurological differences, and treatments for mental illnesses are about changing behaviors. You need someone who knows that.

Ditto - I sought a doctor with said experience and I traveled about the same mileage to do so. I wish I had done so from the get go. if you have no other choice, I'd say to go back and give it another try. I realize you have obstacles, but have you exhausted your choices?

saisha
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2013, 10:11 am

harrisDE, curious about your appointment. how did it go?