Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Telephonoscope
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jan 2013, 1:17 pm

I love the darker forms of humor. Sarcasm, droll, black, dry, understatements, ironic, etc. I don't like the types of humor that involve stupidity, embarrassment, caricature, or vulgarity. Basically, I find a lot of British comedy hilarious (except Monty Python. They are confusing.) and most American humor to be either nonsensical (a lot of humor that isn't dark goes massively over my head) or enough to make me very anxious - especially embarrassment humor.

I guess that's odd, though, because all I see online is that autistics don't like or understand sarcasm. Period.

In fact, my very dry and sarcastic sense of humor was part of the reason I went undiagnosed for so long.

I can't be the only one that doesn't like most "silly" humor, right?

cross-posted to Tumblr

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

At some point, there was stuff out there that suggested that Aspies like word-based humor, which is pretty much sarcasm. I suspect that has something to do with the verbal-processing style, but that will take a great deal of sorting out.

Autisticgamer
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2013, 1:27 pm

No

Parasol
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

I am sarcastic too. People have said my humour is darker than others. I can understand sarcasm and irony from other people usually but once in a while, it goes over my head.

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jan 2013, 1:45 pm

I am very sarcastic almost all the time.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 1:55 pm

I used to not be very sarcastic until I was maybe in my late teens and then I started doing it to poke fun at peoples stupidity and ignorance. I just did in the other thread today not too long ago. I like my humor. I also do it to show how stupid something is.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 2:04 pm

Sometimes I am.

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jan 2013, 2:09 pm

Telephonoscope wrote:
I love the darker forms of humor. Sarcasm, droll, black, dry, understatements, ironic, etc. I don't like the types of humor that involve stupidity, embarrassment, caricature, or vulgarity. Basically, I find a lot of British comedy hilarious (except Monty Python. They are confusing.) and most American humor to be either nonsensical (a lot of humor that isn't dark goes massively over my head) or enough to make me very anxious - especially embarrassment humor.

I guess that's odd, though, because all I see online is that autistics don't like or understand sarcasm. Period.

In fact, my very dry and sarcastic sense of humor was part of the reason I went undiagnosed for so long.

I can't be the only one that doesn't like most "silly" humor, right?

cross-posted to Tumblr

I like the sames types of humor -- very dry, witty, understated or ironic humor, and I usually don't have much trouble with it. Every once in a while I won't notice that someone or something is sarcastic or satirical, but that's everyone -- I understand way more than I miss.

Although now that I think about it, how would I know that I missed a piece of sarcasm unless someone pointed it out for me? Especially since I tend to watch humorous stuff on my own? Perhaps I've even misinterpreted serious things as humorous. Hm. I suppose there's no real way to tell, but I don't feel that I've missed much.

In any case, I wouldn't really describe myself as a sarcastic person, because I think that tends to mean someone who is bitterly sarcastic over almost anything. I'm sarcastic and overly-literal in my mind, but I don't usually voice my thoughts to people I don't know very well.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 2:10 pm

I am mostly incapable of communicating in real life without using irony, sarcasm or other word puns.

I'm taking *this* as a Prestige Class once I reach Level 10:

Deadpan Snarker

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 2:20 pm

I like silly humor, I guess. I've laughed at zombie baby jokes or "a duck walks into a bar" type of jokes.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 2:31 pm

I am never sarcastic. 8) Seriously, I live on satire. It's just a way to vent frustrations with the world, and get a chuckle to boot.

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2013, 2:39 pm

No, not me. I'm never sarcastic. I always say exactly what I mean.

I was being sarcastic above. I am extremely sarcastic. Like the OP, I don't find a lot of mainstream American humor very funny at all - I often don't get it, or I think it's just stupid. My sense of humor is extremely dry.
I lived in central Europe for awhile, and found the humor there to be extremely compatible with my own, in a way that corny American humor generally isn't.

DanDaMan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2013, 2:44 pm

Ye i always get told "Don't be so sarcastic" But i don't realize i'm doing it, until someone says something and then i have to think about what i just said.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2013, 2:45 pm

Super sarcastic but not until a bit later in life and a few years of confusion. I still can't understand it as well as I can dish it out though.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 2:46 pm

I just posted in another thread about how I learned to understand sarcasm through being sarcastic myself.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:57 pm

Maybe a little.