Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Civ001
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2013, 9:32 pm

I am unsure if this is just me, but sometimes I would just randomly stare at people for a very long time without even noticing it and I would always make people really creeped out. For example, I was on the bus the other day and trying to get to a seat while it was moving. I happen to be staring at this person while he was sitting down (but really, I was trying to concentrate getting into my seat since the bus was moving) and he must of thought that I was staring at him because he started talking to his friends about it afterwards. How can I get this to stop?

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 9:43 pm

I do the same thing. It creeps people out sometimes.

The best thing to do is to take notice of you doing it and then you train yourself to stop.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

28 Jan 2013, 9:46 pm

:lol:

I don't do it on purpose, but yes I do it.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 10:40 pm

Civ001 wrote:
I am unsure if this is just me, but sometimes I would just randomly stare at people for a very long time without even noticing it and I would always make people really creeped out. For example, I was on the bus the other day and trying to get to a seat while it was moving. I happen to be staring at this person while he was sitting down (but really, I was trying to concentrate getting into my seat since the bus was moving) and he must of thought that I was staring at him because he started talking to his friends about it afterwards. How can I get this to stop?

I caught myself staring blankly toward someone on the bus last week while deep in thought. I'm actually very careful when it comes to avoiding staring at people because I have gotten caught staring before.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 11:30 pm

i stare, but less now that i'm aware of it.

TheAvatar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm

Not often — they might look back at me.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 1:01 am

YES! I don't mean to though its usually out of curiosity!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Pip
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2013, 1:27 am

CSBurks wrote:
I do the same thing. It creeps people out sometimes.

The best thing to do is to take notice of you doing it and then you train yourself to stop.

I catch myself staring at people all the time. It is only when they notice and make eye contact with me that my concentration is broken.

Recipero bestia intus

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jan 2013, 2:44 am

Staring is one of the things I am best known for among my friends.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 3:58 am

One of my main problems is staring at people, I often wonder why people don't stare at other people as much as I do. I find people so interesting to look at, I like to study their faces and do some on the fly anthropology.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 4:38 am

Its ok in large Asian communities they stare back! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy8wFZ1M5TQ[/youtube]Usually out of equal curiosity though hehe. Some smile and i smile back and wave!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 5:48 am

I've caught myself doing it and I hate it. My Mum always does it and it's irritating, due to the fact that she'll stop listening to me, to stare at someone. If I stop speaking, she doesn't appear to notice, so I know she's focused on the other person and has lost her focus on me. Then there's the worry that the person will realise they're being stared at and get angry or upset. My Gran (her Mum) was exactly the same. My Dad sees my Mum turning into his MIL, because of this trait. :(

So, I know how annoying it can be and how bad it must look, to those being stared at. Yet, I think I'm starting to do it too. I was sitting in a cafe on Saturday and two people came in. One was a woman and the other looked like a woman of around 60, but she was wearing men's clothes, including men's brogues (they did a little tap dance, whilst wiping their shoes on the mat, so I couldn't help but notice the shoes). I was just curious as to whether the person was a man or a woman, as this is quite unusual, and I must have turned my head as they passed. I caught myself still looking at the person, once they had sat down. I was quite embarrassed, when I realised what I had done and tried to make it look like I had been looking out of the window. Of course, the person was probably a transvestite or transexual and I'm completely comfortable with that. The couple were probably used to people staring, with some starers making judgements about them. I was only (subconsciously) trying to work out what I was seeing.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 7:23 am

I do.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 7:44 am

i don't really. but i do often stare into the nothingness in front of me.
now, it can happen (and usually does) that there is a person standing or sitting between me and the "nothing" i stare at, which leads to a percieved staring at that person, while i am not even aware that the person is there

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 10:42 am

No, people stare at me, especially when finding a seat on the bus. It might be my imagination because I never look at them, but it always feels like they are staring right at me because I can almost feel a hole burning in my face.

Whenever I get paranoid about people staring at me and creeping me out, I always just get told that they are not staring at me personally but are probably just lost in their own thoughts and happen to be staring at my face without realising.

This is the part where I get confused, since I thought it was just people on the spectrum that zone out or don't concentrate on what they're staring at, etc (according to WP)?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 11:12 am

When I worked in town everyone here stares at strangers or new people,if you went into the local small cafe everyone will turn around and look at you.
I've caught myself staring at stuff people are wearing,jewelry,what their t- shirt says,hairstyle,etc....It can be embarrassing,they think you are checking them out.