Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 11:12 am

When I worked in town everyone here stares at strangers or new people,if you went into the local small cafe everyone will turn around and look at you.
I've caught myself staring at stuff people are wearing,jewelry,what their t- shirt says,hairstyle,etc....It can be embarrassing,they think you are checking them out.

Sliceracer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2013, 1:51 pm

don't worry about it, i do this a lot and don't notice this until the person approaches me. just explain to them that u have AS and 95% of the time there ok with it

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 2:01 pm

Dreycrux wrote:
One of my main problems is staring at people, I often wonder why people don't stare at other people as much as I do. I find people so interesting to look at, I like to study their faces and do some on the fly anthropology.

I do that too. I get interested in their clothes or jewelry or the contours of their faces, and start analysing why I like or don't like their appearance just on an aesthetic basis, like whether their nose is too big or whatever. People-watching is great fun for me. If I stare at you, don't worry. I'm not going to follow you home and rob you. You just look interesting--like a living work of art.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 2:47 pm

If I'm bored and sitting in a parking lot I play what I call the "Sherlock Holmes game",I look at the people walking by and try to imagine what their life is like.It passes the time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 3:45 pm

Civ001 wrote:
Do you stare at people?

Only if she is the best nude lap-dancer in the house.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2013, 4:40 pm

If I am not careful I stare at people - even if I have no interest in them at all. I just do it when I am thinking or when I am a bit anxious. I don't have to be thinking about the person I'm staring at.

Once on a train the person sitting opposite me obviously thought I was reading his newspaper (I wasn't). I guess I must just have been staring at a single point. The man folded up the paper and threw it at me, saying here "here you are then- read it!". It took me some time for me to work out what had gone on and I felt very embarrassed.

Other people down the years have accused me of staring so I have to consciously remember to move my eyes regularly.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 4:48 pm

I used to have too much eye contact when talking to people. They said I was staring. It freaked them out. I am better at it now that I am aware I did it.

I sometimes stare at people from a distance, too, only I am not really staring at them. I am either spacing out or deep in thought and they happen to be sitting or standing where my eyes are focusing.

My son told me the other day that I was staring at kids in his afterschool program with a mad face on. I realized neither of these things. I was thinking about a problem at work. Nothing like making your socially awkward kid seem even more socially awkward "Look! His mom is weird, too!"

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jan 2013, 5:24 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
Dreycrux wrote:
One of my main problems is staring at people, I often wonder why people don't stare at other people as much as I do. I find people so interesting to look at, I like to study their faces and do some on the fly anthropology.

I do that too. I get interested in their clothes or jewelry or the contours of their faces, and start analysing why I like or don't like their appearance just on an aesthetic basis, like whether their nose is too big or whatever. People-watching is great fun for me. If I stare at you, don't worry. I'm not going to follow you home and rob you. You just look interesting--like a living work of art.

You can add me to the list of inquisitive starers. Many people's faces are actually quite compelling and worthy of study and admiration. I sort of wish it were socially acceptable to look at people's faces when not addressing them.

That said, I don't really stare much anymore -- not since elementary school, really, which is where I got in a lot of trouble for it. Now if I stare, it's usually indirectly -- like if I see someone's reflection on the bus or subway window.

alph1n
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2013, 6:18 pm

I´m confirmed here I´m not the only one.
Reasently one man told me - What you staring at!
For a very long time I´ve been wondering awhile people sometime´s percive me staring at them. The feeling confusing into me. I´m without awarness of it. same suprise everytime happens. the once not long ago, one man applied to me, I where suprised as usal.
Anserewd him as if it not had happend.
My weiw into situation occured; his problem. The context staring, belonged to his fail reading the situation.
And is true because me I by no intentio looking at him, ( we do known each other breifly)

Actually did at the time percived him as rude talking to me like he that
My just started at this community, migth I have asp, living all alone! Being all alone, no disclaims. recognize myself into lots into the W.P.
Trial to reach an correct diagnoze as possible.
Reached the age af 61.5. One doc tells i´m to old to be diagonized. Never met her personally. Do anyone heard such alike (or agree),me I to old by age to be diagonized!?

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 6:49 pm

I am unaware of any age limitations for diagnosis. You remain autistic until the day you die, so I don't know why anyone would say someone is too old.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 6:52 pm

I used to, but I try not to. I've been told people don't like it.

BlueMoon10
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jan 2013, 6:36 pm

Yes, but I'm usually not aware of it. I "space out" fairly often. Too often, actually. So far this week I've had two people comment on my staring problem. "Quit staring at me, you freak!" "Why do you keep staring at me." My reply was, "Well, you're right in front of me. Sorry." Typically I say nothing, but for some reason it's been bothering me lately.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 7:38 pm

Staring at people is fun!! :P

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Jasmine90
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2013, 10:08 pm

I stare way too much and usually end up making people feel uncomfortable.

For instance, this woman had her zip down by accident I guess, and I stood there for about 3 minutes starting at her crotch while she talked to me. :oops: I felt like I couldn't pull my eyes away, it was very embarrassing.

Other times I mainly stare at people when I'm concentrating on something, and don't usually notice I'm doing it until they start talking to me.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 12:17 am

Mindsigh wrote:
Dreycrux wrote:

Yep, I can relate to this.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 2:41 am

I stared at people a lot as a young, elementary school-aged kid. I would be spacing out and focus my head to the right, and they just happened to be there. They'd get annoyed, but one kid defended me (only once!) by saying that I "liked to look at things.".

Now, I just look at people, especially little kids and babies, because they're interesting and/or I'm bored. It's probably more obvious when I'm bored. That's when I get strange looks.