What's Your Reaction to Emotional Connection In Movies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 11:57 pm

Even long before I learned about AS, I have always struggled with the deep down knowledge that I don't seem to be able to make or feel the strong emotional conection that seems to be so easy for others. In many ways I have come to terms with that just being the way I am. However, seeing those emotionally intimate moments between two people shown in films (at least when it is done convincingly) always makes me quite upset and uncomfortable and I find myself glancing away a lot of the time or just getting quietly upset quite suddenly.

I was just curious to know how these scenes affected others who are on the spctrum or suspect that they are?

Alexithymia: 137

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 3:48 am

To me, it depends on my mood and the movie. For example, only a cold hearted jerk (whether they are on the spectrum or not.) wouldn't be touched by the final scene in Spielberg's E.T. (And John William's musical score perfectly complements what is going on in that scene.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 3:56 am

A big fat zero.

It's an empathy thingy, and I don't seem to do well with that.

Dannyboy271
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2013, 4:43 am

Normally there's never an emotional connection I make to any films, but when they DO do a good job of portraying scenes I can relate to, or something along those lines, I make almost a subconsious effort to quickly crush the idea and throw the feelings away out of frustration.
It's because for one, it's FICTION, it's FAKE, I'd be getting emotional over something that DIDN'T HAPPEN, that most of all makes me feel ick.
Second, when it's love scenes, I've got that history of a long desired relationship with a very specific person that didn't work out, so when I see the happy people being happy and it being REALISTIC, it's like I'm making a connection I don't really own, so I'm not supposed to.

It's kinda annoying really. When awkward scenes happen though, I usually cringe or leave because I've experienced so much awkward, and the movies always make it worse then it really ever is.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 8:25 am

It sounds like people might be misunderstanding my point slightly (Would not be the first time:) ).

I am only talking about a specific type of scene in a film - one demonstrating a close intimate emotional connection between two people (father and son, friends, lovers - whatever). Also I am not talking about empathy I do not think. I am not feeling what I imagine they feel. Instead I feel very sad and uncomfortable because (I think) I am being reminded of something that I find it incredibly difficult if not impossible to do in my life - have a moment of deep emotional connection. I am sure I must have had some moments like that but, between all the probelms reading people, understanding and expressing my own emotions, and all the other spectrum type stuff, I feel that this is something I tend to miss out on. I guess I might be feeling a sense of loss or something (As I said, not good with the old telling emotions apart thing).

I hope that makes things clearer.

Alexithymia: 137

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 8:53 am

Well, most such instances involve lovers, that I've seen. In those cases it makes me uncomfortable, because I find sexuality scary due to sexual abuse. I usually avert my eyes at this point.

And even if it's not actually upsetting to me, I can't really relate because I'm asexual, and I'm often annoyed because they took an interesting relationship and railroaded it into sexuality because they don't know how to write any other kind of close relationship. I especially hate the trope of pairing off the people who hate each other, because a) it makes no sense at all, and b) having two people on the same side who hate each other but have to work together is often a lot more interesting that having another snarky romance.

But when I see a well-written example of non-romantic emotional connection (or a romantic relationship with a lot of nonsexual intimacy) it makes me happy. Especially family members who are close to each other.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 10:02 am

In the movies, emotional scenes can leave me annoyed and bored. I'm much more into an action flick or comedy. I can remember some upset patrons when we were laughing during the Joy Luck Club, but it was laying on drama like spackel until it was utterly ridiculous. I think the last time I ever reacted emotionally to a show was an anime series. :oops: