Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 2:06 pm

Here ... follow this link to the American Radio Relay League website. You can get all of your questions answered there.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 2:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
Here ... follow this link to the American Radio Relay League website. You can get all of your questions answered there.

much obliged, sir! :)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 3:22 pm

When I was a kid, I learned land-morse, it is slightly different from international morse in that a half dash hesitation counts. ... is s by .. . is r. I even learned to send a receive it with a vibraplex key. But then (damn!) the railroads gave up using telegraph. Now they use teletype, telephone and special band broadcasting frequencies. All that work for nothing.

- .... . --. .- ...- . ..- .--. -- --- .-. ... . .-.-.- ... .... .. -!

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 4:44 pm

I'm developing an Arduino interface that will key transmissions and translated received Morse code.

I always had a lousy sense of rhythm ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MacGyverAspie
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2013, 5:12 pm

The fee to take the test is $15 and you can take all 3 if you like. If you pass tech you can try general, pass that take extra, all in one shot.

Other countries have different procedures to get a license.

I plan to take my general test next month, I want to get on HF.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 8:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
I'm developing an Arduino interface that will key transmissions and translated received Morse code.

I always had a lousy sense of rhythm ...

There nothing quite like reading Morse at 40 wpm sent with a vibraplex key. I can't do it anymore, but when I was young I could.

ruveyn

bearshady
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2013, 5:21 am

Well...I've been licenced since early 1996...also took the no-Morse Code route, upgraded to General the day that Morse proficiency testing was abolished, and got my Extra in 2008. And haven'tg looked back since!! !! I'd say my favourite band is 17 metres....although I love the challenges of 6m; not too many sporadic Es and even less auroral propagation here in Arizona.

As far as the exams, the Technician is very basic, study for a few hours and you should be able to ace it. General really isn't that much more difficult...but Extra can be a bear...you really need to know your schtick to pass.

Good luck and hope to hear you on the air!!

0bey1sh1n0b1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2013, 7:21 pm

I am currently a Tech license got it a few months back. Got the Baofeng like most new amateurs. Fortunately the 2 and 70cm are popular around here however unfortunately these guys have an ego because they have radios. I'll probably stick to EchoLink. I've met some helpful people in MD. Not sure if it is possible but could probably look into setting up a net link for wrongplanet HAM users.

PS I am seriously looking to practice CW. I'm surprised people dislike it. I think they should have kept that in the exams. If you TRUELY a HAM enthusiast you should love the CW aspect. That's my opinion though.