Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

corsair
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2013, 7:54 am

Does anyone else love Game of Thrones? It's seriously the best TV show I've ever watched. Fantastic plot, great characters, and so thrilling. I can't wait till season 3 comes out in 2 months!

What are your expectations for the new season? Personally I'm hoping for new development on Sansa's character (because a lot of people just hate her right now for - well, being stupid) and also more on Daenerys's expeditions in the desert...

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2013, 1:32 pm

I completely agree, Game of Thrones is my favorite tv series ever and the start of season 3 is one of the things keeping me pretty content, haha. I'm assuming you haven't read the books? I'd highly recommend them (I bet you hear that all the time :D) as it's also my favorite book series ever and book three, A Storm of Swords is my favorite book. Without giving away any spoilers, that's some CRAZY things that will happen this season, even though it's only half of the book. I do hope Daenerys gets a lot of screen time because I think Emilia Clarke is superb. No matter what, though, I think everyone will enjoy this season.

Cathe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jan 2013, 2:26 pm

I really like Game of Thrones!

I remember seeing the adverts for it when it first started on tv and thought it looked good but I missed the first episode so I had to wait til my uncle bought himself a blu-ray copy so I could watch it from the beginning. I caught up in time to watch season 2 on tv so I am quite looking forward to season 3!

I can't watch it 'live' though. I have to record it on Sky+ and watch it after it has aired because it is quite a....'sexy' show at times and I don't feel comfortable watching those scenes so I fast forward them but everything else is ok!

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 6:29 pm

I actually read the first book some months before I saw the TV show. In fact, I was impressed by A Game of Thrones, and eagerly anticipated getting the DVD while reading the second and, I think, third books of the series. The show stands as one of the best ever adaptations of a novel, and I can't wait to get the DVD of the second series.

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, Kit Harrington as Jon, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys and Maisie Williams as Arya are my key favourite cast members, though getting so many good child actors to play the roles of the Stark children was an amazing feat in of itself. And doesn't Harry Lloyd play the role of Viserys so well? I remember him playing the not dissimilar role of Son of Mine from the Doctor Who story Human Nature/The Family of Blood. He does batsh** crazy very well.

You see a lot of great British actors here. Of course, Sean Bean goes without saying, but you also have someone like Charles Dance playing Tywin Lannister. I read in the book Inside Game of Thrones that they chose Charles Dance based on the very role I first saw him in: Tulkinghorn, the evil lawyer from the recent adaptation of Bleak House (and, incidentally, a role that Peter Vaughn, the actor who played Maester Aemon, played in an earlier adaptation of the same Dickens book). And, of course, you have Julian Glover playing Pycelle, and Lena Heady as Cersei, and Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin, and in the third season, we will have Ciaran Hinds playing Mance Rayder!

On sabbatical...

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 7:45 pm

Quatermass wrote:
I actually read the first book some months before I saw the TV show. In fact, I was impressed by A Game of Thrones, and eagerly anticipated getting the DVD while reading the second and, I think, third books of the series. The show stands as one of the best ever adaptations of a novel, and I can't wait to get the DVD of the second series.

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, Kit Harrington as Jon, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys and Maisie Williams as Arya are my key favourite cast members, though getting so many good child actors to play the roles of the Stark children was an amazing feat in of itself. And doesn't Harry Lloyd play the role of Viserys so well? I remember him playing the not dissimilar role of Son of Mine from the Doctor Who story Human Nature/The Family of Blood. He does batsh** crazy very well.

You see a lot of great British actors here. Of course, Sean Bean goes without saying, but you also have someone like Charles Dance playing Tywin Lannister. I read in the book Inside Game of Thrones that they chose Charles Dance based on the very role I first saw him in: Tulkinghorn, the evil lawyer from the recent adaptation of Bleak House (and, incidentally, a role that Peter Vaughn, the actor who played Maester Aemon, played in an earlier adaptation of the same Dickens book). And, of course, you have Julian Glover playing Pycelle, and Lena Heady as Cersei, and Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin, and in the third season, we will have Ciaran Hinds playing Mance Rayder!

My only real objection to the casting is Aiden Gillen as Littlefinger, not because he's a bad actor but because I cannot look at him without thinking of his character from The Wire. In any case so far I love the show and I'm about half way through reading book four - I agree so far Storm of Swords has been the best of the bunch. I saw the first two seasons before I ever read any of the book but I was really impressed by how much the show sticks with the books, especially in the first season. The opening episodes match the book almost word for word.

corsair
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2013, 3:53 am

I have read the books actually (after I watched the series lol!). I enjoyed all of them except for A Feast for Crows, which was drawn-out and pretty boring tbh. I'm in the middle of a Dance With Dragons but I haven't read it recently because I've been so busy with schoolwork.

It never comes on TV here xD probably because of the sex scenes, yeah...but I'll just download them.That's actually the only thing that bothers me about the series, since it could be so much less /awkward/ if they just cut out some of the scenes. I mean, seriously - is it really necessary? Like the scenes with the brothels and Theon (yuck) really get on my nerves. It pops out of nowhere and have no addition to the story.

Oh I love the actors! I think all of them are so perfect for their role (apart from Margaery). Littlefinger/Aiden Gillen's character is actually my favorite, he's so cunning.

Phaeton
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2013, 4:46 pm

I would wait very impatiently for the next issue to be published as they were written. Then came a five year break without a new book.

Five years, I though maybe he had died or gotten very sick.
No, it turns out he was negotiating with HBO for the series and being given a contract changed how he wrote the new books. Instead of finishing the series in five books he has now written six and more are on the way, no definite end anymore.

Until the rating go down, then he will finish it.
I am of two minds on this.
One: I really enjoy reading these and as long as he keeps writing I will have fresh stories.
Two: A never ending soap opera has a good likelyhood of going stale with repetition. Perhaps a satisfying ending would be best.

Meanwhile I will buy all the new books and watch every episode of the series.

PantheraTigris
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2013, 3:06 am

I've read the books, but I do not wish to watch the TV series until I am quite a bit older. Though I would love to see Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, who is my favourite character.

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 3:36 am

PantheraTigris wrote:
I've read the books, but I do not wish to watch the TV series until I am quite a bit older. Though I would love to see Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, who is my favourite character.

How old are you?

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 4:33 am

Love the show and the books. Sansa does have growth this season. There are big surpises.

If you read the books, you know the major event coming up. Its suposted to be this season finale.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 3:36 pm

corsair wrote:
Does anyone else love Game of Thrones? It's seriously the best TV show I've ever watched. Fantastic plot, great characters, and so thrilling. I can't wait till season 3 comes out in 2 months!

What are your expectations for the new season? Personally I'm hoping for new development on Sansa's character (because a lot of people just hate her right now for - well, being stupid) and also more on Daenerys's expeditions in the desert...

Have you read the books? They are very good. The HBO miniseries differs somewhat in the details.

ruveyn

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 3:39 pm

It would be cooler if season 3 started right now.

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 1:26 am

I'm so behind. I'm still in the middle of season 2 :(

PantheraTigris
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2013, 3:03 pm

IlovemyAspie wrote:
PantheraTigris wrote:

How old are you?

Fourteen. Which highlights the problem.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 5:03 pm

I, too, am an avid fan of the show.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 7:21 am

I've read the books so I already know what happens, but I still want to see how they translate certain scenes on the screen. Like Jon Snow and Ygritte.