Receiving disability benefits for aspergers unusual or not?

Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 12:41 am

DVCal wrote:
So sad how many aspies have become leaches on society, rather than productive members.

Strange how it seems to have happened only in the last one or two decades.

Back in my day, social misfits weren't coddled or allowed to remain in their parents' home past their 18th birthday.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 12:52 am

I left when I was 17, actually. And then I tried for years to take care of myself, barely surviving until it was down to either homelessness or going on disability.

Think again, and think hard, about why you are calling people "leeches on society" or "coddled social misfits". Think what it might be like to really not be able to work. Putting people down when you haven't thought about what their lives are like, much less walked a mile in their shoes, isn't something you should be doing.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

OfTheWillowFae
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2013, 12:55 am

DVCal wrote:
OfTheWillowFae wrote:
How do you actually prove that you can't work without actually getting a job and then completely melting down, losing self-respect, etc.? I get benefits for food, but those will not last. I cannot be anywhere near loud sounds, crowds, florescent lighting, and if there's a storm nearby, I'm a completely non-functioning mess.

How do I "prove" that? My family has been trying to find out how, but they can't, and the government (social security, social services, etc.) are unable to do a thing. Which doctor would actually be able to diagnose these issues? I've been to plenty, and they act like I'm just mental or like it's not a "big deal." It's huge. I can't even leave my house more than once a week, rarely twice.

First you need a proper diagnosis, and a doctor who agrees you are unable to work. There are also nonprofit groups I think that will help you complete the SSI application, and help you submit everything that is needed.

Well, I've been dx with aspergers, but the lady who did it saw my grades in school and completely said I was "too smart to be disabled." She knew about the sensory stuff, but wouldn't refer me to the nearby autistic center (Ohio State Campus), as it was "pointless." She just listed my sensory issues as quirks and after seeing me three times, gave me a link to a very anti-asperger site, and sent me on my way.

What I was asking for was details; what type of doctor do I look for to dx the sensory issues? I'm looking for one more competent than the one that gave me the diagnosis of aspergers based solely on lack of friends and being unable to drive.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 1:03 am

Yeah, that lady has no clue. Autistic people can be very smart and very autistic simultaneously. I'm pretty good at learning, but I still need a good deal of help. Even more extreme examples include people who are non-verbal and need 24-hour care... and are going to college. Given scattered skills, it's not unknown to get some really unusual combinations that result in people being capable of things you'd never thought they would have been, or being incapable of things you'd think would be easy for them.

Find yourself someone who either knows about autism, or is willing to learn. Spell out the problems you are facing. You can probably start with a counselor; see if they know someone who knows more than they do. Perhaps someone who works with people who have learning disabilities like dyslexia? They usually have previous experience with the phenomenon of people being very good at one thing, very bad at another. Autism isn't a learning disability, but we often benefit from the same things that people with a learning disabilty or ADHD might benefit from.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 1:12 am

If you ain't walked in the shoes of another, don't front.

OfTheWillowFae
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2013, 1:23 am

Callista wrote:
Think again, and think hard, about why you are calling people "leeches on society" or "coddled social misfits". Think what it might be like to really not be able to work. Putting people down when you haven't thought about what their lives are like, much less walked a mile in their shoes, isn't something you should be doing.

I agree. Comments like those are why I rarely go on forums. That's bullying, and it's immature and rude. I'll leave out what else it is; I'm not getting banned. Incredibly offensive. If you have nothing nice to say, shut up.

It's not my fault my parents love me enough to actually help me be a happy, well-adjusted person instead of an insensitive jerk. (Not directed at you, Callista.)

I'm sorry if anyone had/has info to give me pertaining my post earlier, I'm leaving this thread now. My health can't handle stress, so I'm going.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 2:17 am

Callista wrote:
I left when I was 17, actually. And then I tried for years to take care of myself, barely surviving until it was down to either homelessness or going on disability.

Sorry, leeches was a bit strong, I don't doubt many want to work, it is probably depressing not being to be work and be more productive. I feel bad for those who can't work.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 2:37 am

I moved out when I was nearly 20, I got my first job when I was 18 and it was at a thrift store and working in the high school library. I also did some community work in school in middle school and high school like picking up recycling from classrooms, going to the town library and dusting bookshelves. I worked at home watering trees for my parents making over $100. My parents helped me, so did my school. I was also motivated to work and want to be independent.

Back in the days, I am sure people who were too disabled to work or make it through life lived at home or in a institution or were homeless. I heard through hearsay they died because they couldn't survive.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 6:40 am

OfTheWillowFae wrote:
Well, I've been dx with aspergers, but the lady who did it saw my grades in school and completely said I was "too smart to be disabled."

eh? Many smart people are disabled. And don't you have to an IQ above a certain amount to be classed as either HFA or Aspergers? (over here, I think it's 70)

I have managed to get employment support allowance based partly on my Autism. Struggling to get DLA based on my Autism though. Yet, I have friends who are more higher functioning than me who receive it. :x

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2013, 6:55 am

I get high rate care (DLA). I need this because the stress I get as a result of my AS.
From what I've heard, it's not unusual at-all. Less than 20% of Aspies work, so many are kind of dependent on it.

Last edited by JellyCat on 30 Jan 2013, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 7:11 am

Daniel_is_bored wrote:
I was diagnosed with AS in 2010 and the therapist/phycologist whatever Advised me to apply for designation as a person with a disability.I thought it was kid of a stupid idea and figured you had to be more messed up then me to get disability benefits.I always thought aspergers was supposed to be no big deal based on most of the stuff I have read online.It's probably for the best that do qualify as disabled, I have had horrible luck finding work in the last.........forever.Do any other aspies/aspergians on here receive benefits? I'm not trying to be nosy i'm just trying to get some perspective.

Not me. I'm 66 and have worked all my life until I retired because I was very determined and persistant even though I'm on the severe end of Aspergers. I've also had many issues in the workplace but was able to stay employed until I was 19. My biggest issue was having serious problems with learning how to drive a car and had to ride with others until a piece of heavy equipment which I was forced to operate changed all of that when I was 28, finally getting a car and my drivers license because the issues went away.

While I realize it is harder for Aspies to function in a work environment, Aspergers is not an excuse not to find a job, even if it is in a restaurant, unless you have other issues that would cause a disability for you. I know Aspies that can't get Social Security benefits because Social Security people feel like they are able to work. So, let's not look at Aspergers as a disability but an ability that excels in the workplace.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 8:16 am

I don't see how I'll ever work but I don't know if I could get social security either. I've thought about trying now that I have Medicaid but I'm just about fed up with going to doctors (I recently had cancer) and I have trouble talking to psychologists and don't know where to go so it seems pointless and potentially dangerous. What if they want to put me on medication or hospitalize me?

If I were to look for a job I wouldn't even know where to apply. I have no education, no experience, and no license or car. Most jobs want you to have one or more of those things. Any job I got would have to be within walking distance or on the bus line. Otherwise I'd have no way to get there. I'd have problems dealing with customers and coworkers. I have trouble even leaving my house on a regular basis. I now also have the worry that if I did get a job if it didn't give insurance I could lose my Medicaid and I need that for all my follow up doctor visits for the cancer.

I'm just lucky I have my mother to support me.

ladraven
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2013, 8:54 am

I have almost aways had a job. Applying for DLA is not something that even occurred to me. The main thing with ESA and DLA in theis country (UK) is that the people that do the report ATOS are useless and I am not looking forward to that interview. I will have to be assessed by ATOS because of my employer and any adjustments that have to be made. However I am lucky with my job as it suits me. I sit at a desk, answer questions by phone and tap away at a computer. The only real issue I have is my collegues think its funny to change the position of stuff on my desk (everything has to be at a right angle or parrallel) although that has died down too. I could never work in a shop or deal with the public face to face. Anyway the only benefit I receive is Child Benefit and I did get Child tax Credit until the income limits came down about a year ago.

The image of scroungers is done by a very small majority. I work in the benefits system and yes you do get people who take the piss, there always will be, but as I said they are the minority. I have spoken to people who are mortified that they are claiming and they are usually the ones that gets screwed over as they just don't get the system.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 9:05 am

ladraven wrote:
I have almost aways had a job. Applying for DLA is not something that even occurred to me. The main thing with ESA and DLA in theis country (UK) is that the people that do the report ATOS are useless and I am not looking forward to that interview. I will have to be assessed by ATOS because of my employer and any adjustments that have to be made. However I am lucky with my job as it suits me. I sit at a desk, answer questions by phone and tap away at a computer. The only real issue I have is my collegues think its funny to change the position of stuff on my desk (everything has to be at a right angle or parrallel) although that has died down too. I could never work in a shop or deal with the public face to face. Anyway the only benefit I receive is Child Benefit and I did get Child tax Credit until the income limits came down about a year ago.

The image of scroungers is done by a very small majority. I work in the benefits system and yes you do get people who take the piss, there always will be, but as I said they are the minority. I have spoken to people who are mortified that they are claiming and they are usually the ones that gets screwed over as they just don't get the system.
You might not be aware, DLA is not means tested and is not related to your employment status. Even those on the higher tax band, so long as they meet the criteria, can receive it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Jan 2013, 9:11 am

DVCal wrote:
So sad how many aspies have become a drain on society, rather than productive members. Not that they don't want to work and be productive, just sad how so many can't.

You can't reduce people's lives to mathematics like this. People have more of an impact on the world around them than how much it costs to insure they don't end up homeless and die of starvation. There's more to life than currency symbols.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Jan 2013, 9:16 am

Fnord wrote:
DVCal wrote:
So sad how many aspies have become leaches on society, rather than productive members.

Strange how it seems to have happened only in the last one or two decades.

Back in my day, social misfits weren't coddled or allowed to remain in their parents' home past their 18th birthday.

I left home the day I turned 18, and I crashed and burned so many times before I ended up living with family again that I've lost count. Of course, my difficulties were a bit more profound than "social misfit." If one's problem is strictly being a social misfit, odds are that one is not autistic in the first place.

I'm glad I have been able to live with family because I would have been homeless, and possibly dead otherwise.

Also, I do not believe there ever was a "back in [your] day" of this nature. I think statements like that are used to assert disapproval for others who have not lived the same lives as the speaker, and I find that they are rarely (if ever) historically accurate.