Road to diagnosis - personal stories.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

HughThomas101
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jan 2013, 4:04 pm

Hello. I suspect that I may have Aspergers but I was just wondering what caused you to seek a diagnosis? (Especially those diagnosed in their teens). In other words I would like to here about what made you seek diagnosis such as personal traits you noticed or comments by others ect.
Thank you!

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2013, 4:09 pm

Very short and boring story... ;)

I had a fight with my mom in the car. I started rocking and I shut up.
She let me, after a while she turned around to me and said: "don't always behave so autistic!" :roll:
So, I started to read about it and found some paralells, but wasn't fully convinced. So I started writing in an autism forum.
After several months writing there I decided to get tested for ASD.

ArielleTX
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jan 2013, 8:30 pm

I was pretty blindsided by my diagnosis. In 2010 (when I was 16), I got a psych evaluation that I thought was for my anxiety. Turns out it was to confirm my mom's suspicions about my having Asperger's.

Just as well, it gives me an excuse for my filter (or lack thereof)! And it never hurts to have a nice group to belong to. Especially with people like you guys. Seriously, I admire you people more than you know. I wish everyone had the same relatively painless experience I had, but I think it's awesome that "you" (in general) have handled your respective experiences so well...

Matto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jan 2013, 8:47 pm

When I was 12, Aspergers had just been standardized and my parents probably were not aware of this themselves. They had already brought me to at least 20 doctors and psychologists years and years before and were unsure what to think of me. Finally, one did identify it and told them about Aspergers.

Ever since that day, my parents knew I was different. They hated it. They expected me to be normal and get a good paying job, have a good social life, and all that biz. Guess that hasn't happened in the next few years. :)