Is there an authoritative viewpoint on Aspies & Alcohol?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

asciikerr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2013, 12:52 pm

If you can help:
I am looking for some type of clinical authoritative viewpoint into how people with Asperger's respond while under the influence.
I am NOT looking for Aspies & Alcohol abuse, dependencies, coping etc.
Mainly how Tipsy/Buzzed/Drunk Aspies act in a social setting. If you have links, references or anything that could help I'd LOVE IT! :heart:

I've only recently been clued into the idea that I may have Asperger's, after doing months and endless hours of extensive research on the matter, I am convinced I do.
I ran through the initial quizzes, tests, numerous accounts of Aspie tales etc, but mainly it was Tony Attwood's book (see ref below) that really dug deep.
Every chapter had me uprooting and reliving every instance of my life with great vivid detail...beyond 1080p HD! It was awful but also a relief!
I have a son that also shares many of my supposed Aspie quirks, and it is important that we both receive the proper medical evaluation etc.

I believe the "Assistant" Clinical Professor doing the formal eval to determine if I have Asperger's or not is a tad bit out of her element (she's up in the night!). I am not convinced she's worked with many Aspies etc. In short: Her primary reason for evaluating me as other than Asperger's is because when I drink I become like this:

Quote:
I get very loud and boisterous, happy/silly. Though I don't think I get "more neurotypical" when drunk, just less inhibited.

She stated that a person with Asperger's never quits being socially awkward, even if intoxicated and the fact that I showed "happy/silly/social" skills was a clear indication that I didn't have Asperger's etc. For me, the idea of being misdiagnosed and sent packing to find answers elsewhere after finally seeing light at the end of a dark tunnel does not bold well with me, so in my pursuit to find answers quicker I am reaching out to the online community in hopes of hearing something more than deafening cricket chirping.

Links, quotes, references are welcome and much appreciated...in the meantime, I will continue to pour through online resources and library catalogs as usual.
Thanks much! :P I do aim to share abundantly with the community once the dawn breaks, again thanks!

The Complete Guide to:
Asperger's Syndrome
Author: Tony Attwood
----------------------------
Pub Date: May 15, 2008
ISBN‐10: 1843106698
ISBN‐13: 978‐1843106692
Edition: 1

Dunstan
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2013, 1:25 pm

I've not been diagnosed either, but I seem to remember reading experiences of aspies that have been been able to be more social after a drink. That was one of the defining factors in me considering that I may have it as I remember drinking before class purely to assist in social engagement when in college. I will see if I can dig up some links.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2013, 1:28 pm

I think you will have a hard time finding what you're searching for. The reason is that you're really looking for documentation that alcohol has the exact same effect on aspies as everyone else. That's fairly obvious. - Alcohol has several visible effects on the brain, while we still can't identify any biological differences in people with Asperger's compared to the general population. It's the bozo therapist who make the original claim (that aspies respond to alcohol differently) who needs to document that.

You might find it, but I have a feeling it's a little like searching for documentation that aspies can't fly. If someone thinks that it's their job to prove it, not your job to disprove it.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 1:35 pm

Typically, I sit at home and watch football games by myself. Last year the Seahawks had a big game against the 49ers. I was drinking at home. During halftime I left my house and went to a bar. This wouldn't have been possible if I wasn't drinking. BTW, I didn't isolate in the bar. I talked to people and had a general communion with them.

Sliceracer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2013, 1:49 pm

I have been diagnosed and the effects of alchol on me are drastic . in my mind there is three stages for me the first is being tipsy ( about 3 pints of strong larger ), this is just normal me but with my anxiety gone I cant be talked into anything stupid and im not at all violent. I also interact more with people im unconvertible with and become a more sociable charter in my NT friends eyes

when im quite drunk I become a little violent when approached by someone I don't like but I become "weirdo" like to NT's. I also will do anything my friends tell me to

when im absolutely wasted ( which is like 10 pints of strong larger ) I start thinking that my thoughts are real the funniest and most embarrassing example of this is I thought I had a BJ from a girl and could not be told otherwise im also very loud and start fights a lot in-between that I just sit in a chair enjoying the the feeling of being drunl . hope this helped lol

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 1:52 pm

It's a confusing picture...

In a situation where alcohol removes your anxiety:

People with Asperger's only will probably get more socially awkward when drinking. It would inhibit their ability to check their behavior and lead to more mistakes. However, they might not be aware that they were more socially awkward, and might perceive themselves as doing better than they actually were; this perception will probably be false.

People with Asperger's plus social anxiety may get less socially awkward when drinking, not because their social skills increase but because their anxiety is not there to cause inhibition. Their abilities under the influence may be nearly as good as they would be if they did not have social anxiety disorder at all, and had only Asperger's. They may perceive themselves as being much more socially proficient than usual, though in this case it may be true.

People with social anxiety disorder alone may get less socially awkward when drinking, behaving much like a drunk neurotypical might.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2013, 2:02 pm

Callista wrote:
People with Asperger's only will probably get more socially awkward when drinking. It would inhibit their ability to check their behavior and lead to more mistakes.

I do not agree. "Normal people" do not get better social skills either, they make more mistakes and act like idiots, but they are less tense and generally function better in a social drinking-setting where that kind of behavior is expected.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 7:44 pm

Quote:
It's the bozo therapist who make the original claim (that aspies respond to alcohol differently) who needs to document that.

You might find it, but I have a feeling it's a little like searching for documentation that aspies can't fly. If someone thinks that it's their job to prove it, not your job to disprove it.

I agree with this and Psychegots second post also.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 7:52 pm

GABA (booze increases it) can make people more sociable (it won't change your social deficits though), and also handle more functions.

People with ASDs are known to lack GABA.... I pretty much can't get intoxicated on alcohol alone.... That tells you everything.

So, it'll help those two things.

Benzodiazepines do the same things (just far more potent).

Sadly, addictive and all that in certain people.

I've been meaning to try a GABA supplement, you know, just to see if any of it crosses the blood-brain barrier and it provides some help with handling more functions.

asciikerr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2013, 9:15 am

MountainLaurel wrote:
Quote:
It's the bozo therapist who make the original claim (that aspies respond to alcohol differently) who needs to document that.

I agree with this and Psychegots second post also.

I concur, the burden of proof should not fall on me. It did not help matters when said "bozo" handed me their written findings; I instantly glared at all the typos and missing numbered headings and poorly attempted bullet points. ;(

Thanks you for your time & helpful responses.

Cheers!

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 9:59 am

Alcohol, Dextromethorphan (DXM), both have been mentioned as helping lower inhibitions in Autistic people. While it may be very true for some, it would have to be some type of constant for one to use all the time to help with lowering inhibitions.

Alcohol also seems to not discriminate and also lowers NTS inhibitions as well, so pretty much it seems to work for everyone.

I'm not a big drinker, never was. I'm old now and avoid the parties.

Yet for younger folks, once in awhile to drink and get your groove on i don't see any harm.

Too much use and you can turn out like some the folks around here. They stagger around drunk all day since they lost jobs and licenses to drive cars. To many DWIs.

Honestly i think alcohol and other drugs during my youth were the sole reason i could go to parties just fine. I hate to say that, however that is the truth.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Feb 2013, 12:37 pm

Obviously there are many of the same physiological responses when both NTs and aspies consume alcohol. For myself, I am rather sensitive to alcohol, so it doesn't take much for me to feel buzzed or become intoxicated. Literally half a beer at first and I was silly and dizzy.

I do find it odd that it is much easier for me to socialize when intoxicated when at the same time I am far more aware of what is or is not appropriate out of fear of saying or doing the wrong thing. Alcohol seems to alleviate social anxiety sometimes make social interaction appear more natural for me, and my mishaps can sometimes be excused under the "well she was drunk" excuse.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 1:54 pm

When I first start to feel the effects of alcohol I feel kind of happy and grin all the time for no reason. However I soon have too much and become tired, stop talking and just want to sleep. At no point does my behaviour change. I do not become more social and I do not lose any inhibitions. It has always been a riddle to me why some people act completely different under influence.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 2:29 pm

Callista wrote:
People with Asperger's plus social anxiety may get less socially awkward when drinking, not because their social skills increase but because their anxiety is not there to cause inhibition. Their abilities under the influence may be nearly as good as they would be if they did not have social anxiety disorder at all, and had only Asperger's. They may perceive themselves as being much more socially proficient than usual, though in this case it may be true.
Pretty much sums up myself I think although it depends on the situation. I'm never going to be very comfortable in a big group setting but in a small gathering with friends or one-on-one (like a date) it does help to be a little buzzed.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:05 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
Callista wrote:
Pretty much sums up myself I think although it depends on the situation. I'm never going to be very comfortable in a big group setting but in a small gathering with friends or one-on-one (like a date) it does help to be a little buzzed.

Same. I'm always on hyperalert mode around people, so having a beer or two in casual company is pretty enjoyable. There's no magic bullet out there for social proficiency, and it's definitely not a silver one.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:18 pm

For me, a little bit of alcohol = less anxiety. A lot of alcohol = a**hole. I try to just abstain.