Would Americans elect any of the following as President?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Do you think Americans would elect any of the following as President in the future?
Other {Please Specify} 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
A Hispanic President 41%  41%  [ 9 ]
A Female President 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
An Openly Gay President 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
An Asian-American President 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A Native American President 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A Blind President 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A Deaf President 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A Jewish President 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 8:37 am

:roll:
I know it's impossible for some of you to believe but I vote based on more relevant things like their politics......
I had serious doubts about the abilities of Sarah Palin and Herman Cain but I would have enthusiastically voted for either over Obama or anything else the democratic party would have coughed up even if he'd been a WASP.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 8:49 am

hblu1992 wrote:
If you're qualified enough it doesnt matter. :D

What is "qualified"? Being a champion at telling lies?

ruveyn

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 1:41 pm

The only two I cannot see America electing as president in the next generation is a Jewish president and a gay president. There is too much homophobia and anti semitism in parts of this country that would make such an election very difficult.

I also think it would be hard to elect someone from the Northeast. Take Chris Christie, who is floated as a 2016 candidate. Christie is popular in New Jersey because of his confrontational style, which I believe earns him the respect of many New Jerseyans. Outside of the Northeast, such a management style is seen as very hostile. Add that in with the Northeast's general intellectual bent that comes off as elitist, and you know why a Northeasterner has never occupied the White House since Kennedy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 2:07 pm

The odds of a blind or deaf president being elected in the USA is the same as that of a blind and deaf head of state being elected in any other nation on the planet- zero (though our longest serving president could not walk).

Americans stopped feeling threatened by american indians with the closing of the frontier and with the crushing of the last Indian uprising (both around 1890).

White americans would have eagerly picked a Navajo Protestant over a White Catholic (if a qualified Protestant Navajo had been around) for most of the 20th Century. The bigotry against catholics was greater than that against native americans in pre JFK times.

The reason no Indigenous American has been in the oval office since 1890 is because even non qualified Indigenous americans only make up half of a
percent of the american population. And no indian even today has risen to the level of society to become qualified.

We are on our 44th president. In a world of total equality the odds are-that we should have had about five Black presidents, and 22 women as presidents by now ( if the proportion of presidents were the same as the proportion of those groups in the population). But even in such a utopia - we would only get an american indian president about once every 200 presidencies (about once ever 1200 years). Bigotry by the core society of nonIndians is not the issue. Numbers are.

Colin Powell was the first Black that even black americans could envision as their president, and obama made it to the white house. Similarly bigotry against Hispanics is waning, and Hispanics themselves are rising in society- so an hispanic Powell or Obama is likely soon. Same with Asians and Jews.

Openly Gay? Not sure about.

But the OP didnt mention a crucial one: an Openly Atheist president.

That would be an interesting candidate.

They have actually done studies on American voter attitudes, and supposedly americans would pick an openly gay president OVER an openly atheist president!

In western europe- Tony Blair waits until he gets OUT of office to declare his fervent adherence to catholicism. In America an athiest like Ronald Reagan pretends to be religous- or folks will abandon him (maybe for a Morman Lesbian Black Woman-who wasnt atheist!).

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 4:54 pm

^^
@ Natural Plastic: If a candidate who is openly Atheist can do a good job as President, then he or she has a good chance of being elected President, although not many voters may warm to the idea of an Atheist President.

Here's a pair I forgot to mention in the OP: Another President who is Openly Catholic and a President who is Openly Muslim.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 6:20 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
^^
@ Natural Plastic: If a candidate who is openly Atheist can do a good job as President, then he or she has a good chance of being elected President, although not many voters may warm to the idea of an Atheist President.

If you say so.

The experts disagree-atheists are the most undesireable minority to the american voter accorging to the studies.

Dont know if they included muslims though. That is a hot button issue to include.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Feb 2013, 8:57 am

Asian-American= Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc., right? I think a child of a Japanese immigrant could probably get elected, same with a Korean. A Chinese person would probably find it difficult because people would think they'd be too soft towards China.

If you were including Indians, Pakistanis, etc., then no, they'd find it very hard because they'd be called a terrorist.

At a guess, I'd say the "running order" would probably be woman->Hispanic->atheist, then things like that would stop being noticed.

Can't see a deafmute person ever leading a country, maybe a deaf person who could talk and read lips very well. A mute person wouldn't be able to give speeches and such.

Imagine a cure for blindness will come before a blind person becomes a credible candidate.

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2013, 9:07 am

I don't think Americans will elect a female president for a long time to come. I think if Obama had been running against 2 strong (strong politically that is) male contenders in the primaries he wouldn't have made it-- and of course Edwards dropped out.

As far as the other categories, it depends. A hispanic could have a chance just by virtue of being hispanic, once the US is predominantly hispanic, which should happen in about 40 years.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 9:12 am

The_Walrus wrote:
If you were including Indians, Pakistanis, etc., then no, they'd find it very hard because they'd be called a terrorist.

I'd vote for someone of Indian or Pakistani descent to be my MP if I liked the candidate. Similarly, I'd vote for a black man, or a gay man, or a Catholic who kept his religion to himself and didn't use it to impose their religious values on everyone else or a Muslim who did likewise, or whatever the hell else if I liked them enough to vote for them.

I don't see why Americans should be any different.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Feb 2013, 9:33 am

They shouldn't be different. Doesn't mean they aren't different. The birther movement shows that, as does the widespread hatred of atheists. Also, there aren't as many Indians or Pakistanis in America (as a % of total population) so they're not going to be as tolerant of them.

See this, also- of course there are many bigots and racists in the UK, but I don't think they're as widespread as people like this in America:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOb7UCRUASA[/youtube]

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 3:59 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
At a guess, I'd say the "running order" would probably be woman->Hispanic->atheist, then things like that would stop being noticed.

Can't see a deafmute person ever leading a country, maybe a deaf person who could talk and read lips very well. A mute person wouldn't be able to give speeches and such.

Imagine a cure for blindness will come before a blind person becomes a credible candidate.

I somewhat agree with you over the "running order."
My guess would be...

-Woman

-Jewish Person

-Hispanic Person
{Problem with a Hispanic President, as I've mentioned before, is people would likely call him or her an illegal immigrant in the same way many call President Obama a terrorist.}

-Openly Gay Person

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 4:18 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

-Jewish Person

n

A Jewish President would find himself hog tied when it comes to policy in relation to Israel or to the Middle East. Damned if he does and damned if he does not.

I fervently hope no Jew subjects himself to that kind of misery.

Let the Gentiles do it.

ruveyn

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 4:59 pm

^^
Am I the only one who would like for a Jew to be elected as President in the future?

Although it would be great for a woman to be elected President, the problem with a Female President is many would likely call her a feminist in the same way many would likely call a Hispanic President an illegal immigrant.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 6:02 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
They shouldn't be different. Doesn't mean they aren't different. The birther movement shows that, as does the widespread hatred of atheists. Also, there aren't as many Indians or Pakistanis in America (as a % of total population) so they're not going to be as tolerant of them.

See this, also- of course there are many bigots and racists in the UK, but I don't think they're as widespread as people like this in America:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOb7UCRUASA[/youtube]

Reporter: Was his father a muslim or was his father an atheist?
Crazy grandma: He's all three.

Could we blame this on age or has she always been crazy?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 6:37 pm

I'd be hesitant about a blind or openly gay president. I'd be concerned an openly gay president would attack religion the way our apparently sexually confused president has. I'd be concerned about a blind person's ability to process the sheer volume of geographic (and other visual-spatial) and statistical information required. I'd have EXTREME hesitations about a Hispanic president due to the extreme pressure they would be under to grant amnesty to illegal aliens. I'd still hear them out, but I would require a whole lot of convincing to vote for them.

I won't be surprised if we have at least 2 east Indian (one female) presidents this century.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 6:43 pm

John_Browning wrote:
I won't be surprised if we have at least 2 east Indian (one female) presidents this century.

This is early 2013. That's not exactly a bold claim.