Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sparrow40k
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2013, 12:21 am

This year I just started year 11 and I put myself up to doing 3 unit mathematics (For those that don't know what that means I'll do a little dote point description below) but from year 7 to 10 I have only done 5.2 mathematics (again will post below what that means). I have only just had my first lesson in this class and am really finding it hard to do the work. the teacher knows I am the only one in the class that doesn't know the work from previous years and he helps me a lot but I was just given this homework sheet and I need help with every question basically... I was hoping some nice people here can maybe explain the questions, and how to answer them!

So here is my homework sheet, it isn't much; It was only my first lesson. but I really need help.
My teacher said, for me it will be really hard to get started because of what I have missed but once I do I should be fine.

[img][566:800]http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2627/epson006.jpg[/img]

Year 7 - 10
* Mathematics 5.1; For kids that find maths very difficult to learn and don't do much advance work. From year 7 to 10, my school has only one 5.1 class.
* Mathematics 5.2; This is just standard maths, where you would learn everything necessary for the next year.
* Mathematics 5.3; This is the advance maths class that cover twice as much as a standard class in 1 year and finish topics much quicker.

Year 11 - 12
* Mathematics 1 Unit (General maths); This is really just the same as continuing 5.2 mathematics. Same speed and learn what you need.
* Mathematics 2 Unit; This is the more advance version of 1 unit maths and goes about the speed of mathematics 5.3 - most kids that did 5.3 go to 2 unit.
* Mathematics 3 Unit (Extension 1); This is the highest year 11 can go for maths and is for students looking into physics and high end mathematical thinking careers.
* Mathematics 4 Unit (Extension 2); This course is only for year 12 that did 3 Unit is year 11 and think that they can go further;

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 12:36 am

I actually don't mind to help you, but it will take time. I am pretty busy.
Can I suggest that you go to khan academy (I think khanacademy.org) If you are not familiar with the site, it is free and has short videos that explain this stuff to you.
He has a program that you can work through. It will take you from the very beginning and quite quickly take you to where you are now.

Do what you can, if you get stuck with something specific, ask and I will try to help. I have an exam on Wednesday to study for.
Good luck.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 1:10 am

Dude, where's the fun in having others do the work for you. Mathematics should be something to be enjoyed. Follow the above poster's advice and learn maths the fun way and then do those problems on your own. Good luck.

Sparrow40k
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2013, 1:35 am

I didn't just want the answer, I just wanted to know how to work it out. So I could do it on my own. I actually just found out about Khan Academy yesterday. I will go on it now, thank you.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 2:42 am

It might help to ask questions about specific problems rather than one question about an entire assignment.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 8:47 am

Sparrow40k wrote:
This year I just started year 11 and I put myself up to doing 3 unit mathematics (For those that don't know what that means I'll do a little dote point description below) but from year 7 to 10 I have only done 5.2 mathematics (again will post below what that means). I have only just had my first lesson in this class and am really finding it hard to do the work. the teacher knows I am the only one in the class that doesn't know the work from previous years and he helps me a lot but I was just given this homework sheet and I need help with every question basically... I was hoping some nice people here can maybe explain the questions, and how to answer them!

[i]So here is my homework sheet, it isn't much; It was only my first lesson. but I really need help.
My teacher said, for me it will be really hard to get started because of what I have missed but once I do I should be fine.

<image deleted>

My grandson in 5 th grade can do problems like that. That is because I taught him algebra when he was in the 4 th grade.

ruveyn

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2013, 1:14 pm

Udacity has just started a (free) course in algebra that will take you up to intermediate algebra. I'm doing it myself (for the fun of it, I like algebra) and I can tell you that it begins at the beginning with fractions, exponents, scientific notation, percentages and all that pre-algebra stuff. You'll get lots of practice and I'm absolutely sure that if you follow through, the homework you've shown won't be a problem for you.

Link to Udacity - Vizualing Algebra

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 5:35 pm

Agreed with the above poster. I must say, Udacity has been more and more interesting lately.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 6:30 pm

These are pretty basic questions, it's hard to offer much help online without basically solving them for you (which I won't do since it's a homework assignment). Not to mention, the assignment tells you how to solve most of them in the question statements ;) (hint hint!). I will say though that for graphs, a trial/error approach is sometimes the best method if you don't know the shape of the curve off-hand.

ripped
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 7:50 pm

Go to your nearest academic book store, tell the counterstaff what you need to learn, and start off with something a little more basic.
Its really only practice, but you have to learn it yourself.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 7:12 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sparrow40k wrote:

[i]So here is my homework sheet, it isn't much; It was only my first lesson. but I really need help.

<image deleted>

My grandson in 5 th grade can do problems like that. That is because I taught him algebra when he was in the 4 th grade.

ruveyn

He is very fortunate to have your genetics and your expertise.
I won't lie, I'm a bit jealous.
Anyway, I am glad for his good fortune.

May I ask if he is on the spectrum?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 9:27 pm

slave wrote:

He is very fortunate to have your genetics and your expertise.
I won't lie, I'm a bit jealous.
Anyway, I am glad for his good fortune.

May I ask if he is on the spectrum?

My little man is 200 percent normal. Definitely not on the spectrum. He knows body language and face language. I couldn't match him until I was in my 20's. He is just a smart kid. On the other hand, I taught myself calculus and group theory when I was about 13. No one in my immediate family had the chops to help me.

ruveyn

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 7:50 am

NewDawn wrote:
Udacity has just started a (free) course in algebra that will take you up to intermediate algebra. I'm doing it myself (for the fun of it, I like algebra) and I can tell you that it begins at the beginning with fractions, exponents, scientific notation, percentages and all that pre-algebra stuff. You'll get lots of practice and I'm absolutely sure that if you follow through, the homework you've shown won't be a problem for you.

I just signed up to check out the format. I'm looking at the really basic stuff right now but the way they lay it out is fantastic.

*edit* Some of the methods they teach make no sense to me because they seem like useless steps but I know that's just me.

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 12:19 pm

If you just want to know the answers, enter the problems into Wolfram Alpha...
Like [url]http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x^2%2B5x-14%3C0[/url].
(All except (4) should work.)

It doesn't provide explanations, though. I think I can help you, but you didn't really ask a question.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 2:00 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
NewDawn wrote:

I just signed up to check out the format. I'm looking at the really basic stuff right now but the way they lay it out is fantastic.

*edit* Some of the methods they teach make no sense to me because they seem like useless steps but I know that's just me.

I just started taking one of their courses. So far its great. I just wish their catalog was a bit more extensive.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 4:47 pm

Keep in mind there are bugs that still need to be sorted as Udacity has been recently upgraded.

Also, College Algebra would be a more relevant course for the OP to take, but Visualizing Algebra is still good.