Answering your own questions as a kid.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2007, 9:41 pm

Did anyone go through this stage.
I read an old letter I wrote to my mother at the age of 7 when she and my little baby brother was going up the Queensland by plane. I answered the questions for her all the way

I wrote it like this
Did the plane fly high?, Yes
Did the baby cry on the plane?, Yes
Did the baby play up on the plane? Yes
Did the baby poo on the plane? Yes
Did the baby wee on the plane? Yes
Did you see the pilot?, Yes
Did you fly above the clouds?, Yes
Did you put you safety belts on? Yes
Did you look out the window? Yes
Did the baby look out the window? Yes

XOXOXOXOX Paul

I just could not help but write stuff at that age in such a mechanical repetitive manner and often in such characteristic style of answering my own questions up until the age of 10.
Makes me wonder, why did I write the letter if I felt I knew all the answers?

KurtmanJP
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2007, 11:10 pm

Not really but I usually asked really bizarre questions in response to things. My mom told me this story about a roadkilled collie when I was little and in response, I asked her what was it's blood type. Sounds kinda morbid but it's true.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 10:00 am

Interesting! I never thought about it before, but how DO they rate cannine blood types?

Steve

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2007, 10:38 pm

I used drive my dad with bizarre questions or very steriotyped questions say as "what's the time dad?" every 3 minutes or questions that usually bagan with same four words "what would happen if ......................?"

Like "what would happen if you drived the car into a volcano?" "it would all burn up of course" he replied then I followed it up with even sillier questions like "what would happen if a volcano blew up in our backyard?" "what would happen if there was a volcano in the basement?". "what would happen if there was a volcano in the office?" Then I came out with a real gem "what would happen if there was a volcano in the bathroom while you were sitting on the toilet?"

He eventually had gotten completely fed up and said the next time I hear to say "what would happen!! !" or questions about volcanos he would just make up a silliest answer like if I asked him "what would happen if you drived the car into a volcano?" his answer would be something like "I would call the car repair man and he would fix it up again"
The trouble was I believed most of his silly answers.

PenitentSpark
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2007, 2:34 am

Maybe you were thinking as you were writing the note (rather than thinking and planning what to write beforehand), or you were trying to pose the questions to the other person for them to think about rather than wondering yourself.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2007, 6:13 pm

i dont recall answering my own questions,but i did(and still do)answer others questions by stating part or all of their question first. friend:whats 13x6? me:13x6 is 78. like that.instead of just saying 78. mom:wheres the remote? me:wheres the remote?the remote is under the couch.

PenitentSpark
Raven
Raven

05 Jan 2007, 11:20 pm

blackcat wrote:
i dont recall answering my own questions,but i did(and still do)answer others questions by stating part or all of their question first. friend:whats 13x6? me:13x6 is 78. like that.instead of just saying 78. mom:wheres the remote? me:wheres the remote?the remote is under the couch.

The second thing kind of sounds like echolalia, which seems common in people with Asperger's and related things.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 12:11 am

I do that a lot, especially when a passenger if navigating directions. Pasengers says "turn right at the next corner" me "turn right at the next corner"
And also if and an asked a difficult question or I do not know the question like if someone may asks me "who was the lead actor in that movie?" I reply "who was the lead actor in that movie?" "who was the lead actor in that movie?""who was the lead actor in that movie?" so echoing the question several times in rapid succession as I trying to jog my memory as I am rubbing behind me ear with my hand in contemplation then I may either come up the the answer and say "Tom Cruise! I think" or just simply say "I would not have a clue"

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 12:32 am

i kinda repeat questions a lot in my mind as i assemble an answer...

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

DerekD_Goldfish
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2007, 11:55 am

I do something silimar to that still I give a kind of running commentry when I am playing poker
"Why did I play that hand"
"I shold have bet more"
asking myself rytorical questions nobody else is listinig to

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 7:52 pm

i also used to refer to myself as she. like "She wants her car back!! !" when someone took my hotwheels car one day. now i either use i or refer to myself in the 3rd person.(my name)which my friends find cool. they often do it themselves.