Pretend it's not happening in your world. 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Stay inside and arm yourself with something until it's over. 84%  84%  [ 16 ]
Tell the cop to F off. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 1:27 pm

You have two police helicopters flying around your subdivision (sometimes right over your house) and cop cars cruising around looking for something. One of them sees you and says there's a baddie on the loose and to stay inside.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Stay inside and arm yourself with something until it's over.

Seems like the only sensible choice (the police won't stay with you).

(Since I have a 50 pound bow and quiver with some decent arrows right next to me (plus a couple of hunting knives), I'd just continue on with whatever I was doing after spending the two seconds to string the bow. Too lazy to grab a shotgun from the safe. :P)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 1:53 pm

I'd make sure my home was securely locked but I have no gun, I'm Canadian. I could use some household item for a weapon, of course, but if the guy had a gun... 8O. I hope I never have to kill someone even out of self-defense, I'm not a really religious person but I feel very strongly and negatively about such a thing and it feels like I'm the only one sometimes. I'd rather die myself than go on living and if I wasn't going to hell already I surely would be now.

I know none of the cops would stay even if I asked. Yeah it's after they're gone the evil guy comes to kill you, go figure. but I'd probably call my mother even though she'd be too far away to help. But it would be one of those rare moments when I would positively NOT want to be alone!

Not long ago I let my morbid sense of curiosity let me watch some show of "extreme" 9-1-1 calls. One story was about some man who went on a shooting and killing spree in a neighborhood for no obvious reason. They showed the amount of time that had to pass before help finally arrived and how many people were killed in their own homes before a cop finally killed him, taking whatever reason he had for doing such a horrible thing to his grave. Scary stuff, but not as likely to happen where I live. :)

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 2:05 pm

I don't live in the best area, so that exact scenario is one I've encountered on multiple occasions. My reaction has always been to just get out of the cop's way (either by leaving or going back in my house), and let them do their job. I do not ignore the situation (if nothing else, my curiosity won't let me), nor do I feel the need to arm myself and wait as though I think I'm gonna make a difference when there's already a bunch of armed dudes running around.

It's worked out well for me so far.

Of course my reaction changes if there's someone dangerous running around the neighborhood and the cops aren't there yet.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 2:27 pm

Raptor wrote:
You have two police helicopters flying around your subdivision (sometimes right over your house) and cop cars cruising around looking for something. One of them sees you and says there's a baddie on the loose and to stay inside.

Well, that depends... Are *you* the baddie?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 2:53 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Well, that depends... Are *you* the baddie?

Only on this forum.
:twisted:

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 3:26 pm

Has the baddie got a gun due to amerikas obsession and availablity of guns? :wink: is this baddie a gun nut gone beserk?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 4:21 pm

Surfman wrote:
is this baddie a gun nut gone beserk?

That almost never happens. Violence is very rare from people that care about guns for reasons that don't involve committing an illegal act.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 4:43 pm

This poll was based on something that happend here this morning.
I took the dog out to pee first and that's when the choppers started getting closer. There were cop cars aggressively cruising around and a few distant sirens getting closer. They didn't not stop and say anything but I put 2 + 2 together and went back in with the dog and made sure the doors were locked.
I put the little Kahr 9mm in the pocket of my jacket (chilly in the house this AM) and pressed on with what I was doing but I left the TV and stereo off so I (and the dog) could here stuff.
It all subsided in about 20 minutes or so and it was quiet again.
Maybe one of the neighbors heard what happened that caused all of that.
It was after all of that when I decided that it would be good material for poll in this forum, given the kinds of threads we've had lately.

For someone on the run they'll be looking for somewhere to hole-up and if they pick my house (why not?) I don't want to be sitting here looking dumb when they bust in, armed for all I know.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 5:27 pm

this exact scenario happened to me in west belfast during the 90s if you replace 'baddie' with 'IRA car bomb'.

My deviant art profile

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 6:04 pm

I'd just go on my way and turn my situational alertness up a couple notches, albeit if I saw police helicopters and squad cars doing sweeps that would probably be all the clues I'd need.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 10:09 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'd just go on my way and turn my situational alertness up a couple notches, albeit if I saw police helicopters and squad cars doing sweeps that would probably be all the clues I'd need.

That's pretty much what I did but with a pistol in my pocket.
I didn't expect they'd be a direct threat to me but I took enough little precautions just to be on the safe side.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 10:24 pm

Raptor wrote:
This poll was based on something that happend here this morning.
I took the dog out to pee first and that's when the choppers started getting closer. There were cop cars aggressively cruising around and a few distant sirens getting closer. They didn't not stop and say anything but I put 2 + 2 together and went back in with the dog and made sure the doors were locked.
I put the little Kahr 9mm in the pocket of my jacket (chilly in the house this AM) and pressed on with what I was doing but I left the TV and stereo off so I (and the dog) could here stuff.
It all subsided in about 20 minutes or so and it was quiet again.
Maybe one of the neighbors heard what happened that caused all of that.
It was after all of that when I decided that it would be good material for poll in this forum, given the kinds of threads we've had lately.

For someone on the run they'll be looking for somewhere to hole-up and if they pick my house (why not?) I don't want to be sitting here looking dumb when they bust in, armed for all I know.

Pretty much the same thing happened here a couple weeks ago. I locked the door and didn't really do anything else special.

I wonder if there's a national police organization pushing the use of helicopters recently or something.

ripped
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 11:35 pm

Light up a joint and ask the cop if she wants some.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 11:48 pm

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. There's always grabbing a carrot out of the fridge, walking up next to the perpetrator while gnawing on it and saying "Neeea....What's up doc?".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 11:54 pm

The OP is describing a typical Saturday night in west Anaheim.

You get used to it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.