Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jerricko
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2013, 6:24 am

A little bit of background: The first MMO I played was WoW in 2009, where you can easily run into socially hostile players. End of 2011, I left WoW for SWTOR because WoW becoming too easy and me wanting greater battles against mobs. I'm currently playing GW2 after leaving SWTOR.

Since joining SWTOR, I began developing a great dislike for other players. Particularly strangers who "help" me kill a mob. In SWTOR, I rationalized that this dislike is a) they are disrespecting me (I feel strongly about an "honorable" fight) or b) that it is a form of taunting me like "Lol, you can't kill mob I one shot mob!". In Guild wars 2: unlike the other MMOs I played, each player involved in the defeat of a mob is rewarded; but I still carry resentment for other players; but instead of SWTOR reasons, I now feel that those players are to weak and cowardly to fight themselves. I even had other players follow me around; sometimes, they will break off to drag out of the way mobs to me in the hopes that I will fight with them.

These players never communicated with me nor do I make my irritation by their presence known. I feel like this lack of communication is part of it like "Did I ask you for help?" Does anybody else feel like this?

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

04 Feb 2013, 7:42 am

I've never had anyone follow me around drawing mobs to me... that would really piss me off. Most of my interaction is kept to my husband and his friends in our guild. Although I have a time or two had someone wandering by and save my rear end when I forget I'm playing my level 23 tauren instead of something beefier and am in serious trouble. But mostly I am happily in my own little bubble. It would piss me off to no end if I had to deal with what you are.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 2:22 pm

Most of my MMO interaction is with people I know. My best friend (also an aspie) who moved across the country last year has been leveling a Sith duo with me. It's a great way to stay connected despite all the distance.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 3:27 pm

Guild Wars 2 is specifically designed around the premise that random players can help each other out like that without being penalized. Most people do it because it makes the content easier, and it is more fun to play with other people than just by yourself. You shouldn't worry so much about it, just enjoy the game and have fun! I doubt that any of them are trying to disrespect you or anything, they're just looking for someone to do things with!

virtue_hearts
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Feb 2013, 2:22 pm

I found online games a way to be someone else, act like another alter ego or persona, like stepping into a movie. rather than just being me.... so i usually roleplay a mischievous (evil but funny) character, who plays tricks and pranks, pulls peoples legs etc.. not a PK/greifer or such.. and i usually let my ego go wild. as long as everyone's having fun . think he might be drawing mobs to get you overwhelmed/killed so can loot you? ... theirs lots of bully/greifer type people but in the end they usually just looking for a friend... if their picking on you they just want you to be nice to them. its weird but thats my experience.

Jerricko
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2013, 2:35 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
Guild Wars 2 is specifically designed around the premise that random players can help each other out like that without being penalized. Most people do it because it makes the content easier, and it is more fun to play with other people than just by yourself. You shouldn't worry so much about it, just enjoy the game and have fun! I doubt that any of them are trying to disrespect you or anything, they're just looking for someone to do things with!

I guess I'm over critical of how people play; but I believe that comes from them behaving like an idiot and then blaming an innocent player of their shortcomings.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 7:59 am

Jerricko wrote:
These players never communicated with me nor do I make my irritation by their presence known. I feel like this lack of communication is part of it like "Did I ask you for help?" Does anybody else feel like this?

In games where it's mattered (e.g. experience solely to the kill striker) I've been careful about it. By and large I'm on the other side, where I'm mildly concerned that someone my character helps out will be unhappy for the help. All kinds of reactions abound, but mostly they slant towards, "hey, thanks!"

But in general, yeah, having the actions of other players affect one's own environment is the "multiplayer" part. Sometimes a stranger will communicate. Sometimes he or she will not.