Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 12:17 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
They are too judgmental and prejudiced.

Is this from experience?

Yes. Very prejudiced in the U.S. when it comes to social skills and extroversion. To say nothing of aspies, introverts are about as badly treated in the U.S. today as black people were before 1956.

I'm sure some black people would disagree, but I understand your point.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

05 Feb 2013, 12:18 am

IlovemyAspie wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is this from experience?

Yes. Very prejudiced in the U.S. when it comes to social skills and extroversion. To say nothing of aspies, introverts are about as badly treated in the U.S. today as black people were before 1956.

Unless they're introverted black people.

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 1:05 am

Tyri0n wrote:
IlovemyAspie wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is this from experience?

Unless they're introverted black people.

Okay, that group may understand!

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 1:17 am

I think aspies as partners/friends can be more high maintenance than NTs. They might understand you, but they come with their own idiosyncrasies and baggage. It's sometimes too easy to end up miscommunicating, too, and it can be a hassle.

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 1:38 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I think aspies as partners/friends can be more high maintenance than NTs. They might understand you, but they come with their own idiosyncrasies and baggage. It's sometimes too easy to end up miscommunicating, too, and it can be a hassle.

I remember the other day I was talking to my friend and I made a joke that he of course took literally. It got tense, I said I was leaving..I almost walked away when he just started shaking his head. I kept asking him what was he wanting to say. He reiterated that he takes everything literally. I left and then emailed him that I was sorry about what happened but thanked him for not shutting me out. I had forgotten about him taking things literally. He said I didn't need to apologize. I can see how miscommunications like these could happen all the time. I just hope that these situations can be resolved as easily.

periphery
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Feb 2013, 5:05 am

Probably no because I always think SOMEONES got to be 'the rock'. And i'm too fragile for that, haha.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 9:09 am

NT/AS isn't the deciding factor for me... a certain maturity, kindness, understanding and human decency is!

Being an aspie is certainly no guarantee they'll be understanding to my needs, nor is being an NT a guarantee they'll be a socially-mastered jerk/bully.

C'mon... an average day of the posts on WP should tell you that - our AS members range from friendly to absolute fiends! :D

ruckus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Feb 2013, 9:17 am

Tyri0n wrote:

I hope you don't really believe this. Equating your girl problems to the struggles of the black community during that period and the awful, awful racism that went on is pretty low, man.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 1:16 pm

ruckus wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

I hope you don't really believe this. Equating your girl problems to the struggles of the black community during that period and the awful, awful racism that went on is pretty low, man.

I'm not equating my "girl problems" to this (what problems?). I'm equating bullying, employment discrimination, social cliques, the psychiatric industry, and everything else to this.

Bullying and cliques in schools, as well as employment discrimination, are a type of oppression and segregation, and the forced use of psychiatric medications actually causes death in some cases.

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 4:34 pm

Quote:
I'm not equating my "girl problems" to this (what problems?). I'm equating bullying, employment discrimination, social cliques, the psychiatric industry, and everything else to this.

I still maintain that some if not most black people will not equate the things you mentioned to slavery, lynching and other atrocities black people have experienced. I'm not downplaying bullying, employment discrimination so and so forth. But I don't think they are on the same level.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 7:28 pm

It's painful for anyone that's stigmatized,because of color or mental illness.
You can't tell someone who is white and the victim of "mental" profiling that it hurts any less than being called a racial slur.It's all wrong.
No,I don't think I could be with a "NT",how could they ever understand?

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 8:18 pm

Misslizard wrote:
You can't tell someone who is white and the victim of "mental" profiling that it hurts any less than being called a racial slur.It's all wrong.

True enough, but I think it's pretty safe to tell them it's better than being lynched.

Not all problems are equal.

To say that introverts are treated as badly as black people were in the pre-civil rights era shows that the speaker either has a serious lack of understanding of what that period of time was like, or is blowing introvert's problems way out of proportion.

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 8:21 pm

Misslizard wrote:
It's painful for anyone that's stigmatized,because of color or mental illness.
No,I don't think I could be with a "NT",how could they ever understand?

Yes it is all wrong. I still think it's on a completely different level however I wont go into detail here. That may be my next thread in a more suitable forum?

I will, however bring race into this one more time. It relates to your question "how could they ever understand?" I would date someone outside of my race(s). There are things I KNOW they would never be able to understand, but I believe we are people first and everything else comes later. So for me I think I'd be able to be in realtionship with someone who may not be able to understand me completely but who could love me in their own way. In any regards, I do respect your thoughts. :)

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 8:21 pm

mds_02 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

True enough, but I think it's pretty safe to tell them it's better than being lynched.

To say that introverts are treated as badly as black people were in the pre-civil rights era shows that the speaker either has a serious lack of understanding of what that period of time was like, or is blowing introvert's problems way out of proportion.

Well, SSRI's and bullies kill people. That is a form of lynching. Let me give you just a few examples of segregation: In Texas, anyone with bipolar disorder is not allowed to practice law. In other states, it's highly likely that individuals with autism could be denied too. In many many states, individuals with autism and other neurodiverse individuals are not allowed to drive. Driving is essential to functioning in U.S. society, absent a few of the larger coastal cities. This doesn't even go to employment discrimination on the basis of often irrelevant personality characteristics that are as innate as skin color.

If this isn't a 100% legal form of lynching, I'm not sure what is: http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/ ... ide-death/

Last edited by Tyri0n on 05 Feb 2013, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 8:29 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
mds_02 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Well, SSRI's and bullies kill people. That is a form of lynching. Let me give you just a few examples of segregation: In Texas, anyone with bipolar disorder is not allowed to practice law. In other states, it's highly likely that individuals with autism could be denied too. In many many states, individuals with autism and other neurodiverse individuals are not allowed to drive. Driving is essential to functioning in U.S. society, absent a few of the larger coastal cities. This doesn't even go to employment discrimination on the basis of often irrelevant personality characteristics that are as innate as skin color.

New thread will commence shortly, just have to figure out where.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 9:33 pm

How many mentally ill people were burned at the stake because people thought they were witches or full of demons?