Do you ever wonder how you are supposed to do it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 7:45 pm

I just got duped big time at work. I am so freaking naive and gullible sometimes.

And somehow I am supposed to help my son learn not to be this way???? How the heck am I supposed to manage that?

I am ridiculously disorganized and suffer from periodic bouts of crippling inertia and I am somehow supposed to help my son learn skills to combat this?

GAH!

Does anyone ever feel this way? When they watch their kids struggle and then look at their own lives and think "Sheesh, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree..."

It is overwhelming to me sometimes.

Just venting. Thanks for allowing it.

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 8:10 pm

I showed your post to my wife because I knew she could relate. She commented that the two of you must have been separated at birth.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 8:17 pm

hyksos55 wrote:
I showed your post to my wife because I knew she could relate. She commented that the two of you must have been separated at birth.

Tell your wife thank you for letting me know I am not alone.

hyksos55
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 8:37 pm

You’re more than welcome; it so easy to feel isolated sometimes.
She is the mom to 1 exceptional atypical kid and wife to 1 atypical husband.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 9:47 pm

I am not good at executive functions and serve as a poor model; but yes, I am trying to teach executive functions to my son. Not to mention social skills and all the other things my DNA have bestowed upon him. I am not necessarily naive -anymore- but that is just because I have acquired cynicism as opposed to actual judgment.

It can be hard, just try to stay one step ahead. ;)

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 11:38 pm

Probably it would make you feel better to see how my days go (or not go at all).
Apparently I'm not the only one - wow - I have been under the impression that folks in the parent's discussion were way more functional than me.
I get stuck in the mud, as I call it, regularly. To combat it I try a few things, like giving in to inertia before having a true shutdown, and making our food here at home, which forces me to at least stay aware of shopping needs, the money situation, etc. Also, I am methodically teaching my kids how to cook basic healthy foods, and how to keep it simple and clean up reasonably.
i completely abandoned the idea of having any school friends or acquaintances and I stopped trying to go to teacher conferences or honor roll breakfasts, etc., as this sort of thing puts me right over the top.
I am a single parent and am mostly balanced quite precariously in a quiet hermit's existence despite having kids.
Sorry to go on so long. Just glad to see someone else say what I feel I guess.

paris75007
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2013, 12:38 am

Executive function is also my weak area. If I could get organized I wouldn't have near the anxiety that I do. I sometimes wonder if I can provide enough structure for my son and get enough downtime to be able to function. I don't think he gets enough attention from me sometimes.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 6:28 am

InThisTogether, I could probably have written your post. The inertia thing totally resonates with me and I'm expected to help my daughter with her similar issues. I need to be sorting myself out first, as it seems a little hypocritical of me. Some day, she will turn round and tell me straight, I know it. When I have a tiny tantrum, she tells me to calm down, so I can see it coming. I bought 'Smart but Scattered', as suggested by a parent on here, to help my daughter. I'm sure it's good, but I'm too scattered to get into reading it.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 7:03 am

Relieved (and sad) that so many people share my shoes...

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 8:42 am

I have finally found a neuropsychologist who deals with adults, and am about to go ask for an appointment, which I think is going to end in medication. I am falling apart due to the change in social scene from elementary PTA to middle school PTA. It's a good thing DS is doing fairly well, because I am not providing a good example. (I am just now realizing I went through this in kindergarten, but I don't have long enough between schools now to manage these transitions by just waiting them out.)

The worst part? I'm apparently doing really well, outwardly - I was just asked to be PTA president for next year. But I forget things, mess stuff up, and I come home and cry for a minimum of 20 minutes every time I have a conversation with somebody who isn't in my immediate family. Nobody believes me except my poor husband who has to glue me back together every night.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 3:50 pm

momsparky wrote:
I have finally found a neuropsychologist who deals with adults, and am about to go ask for an appointment, which I think is going to end in medication. I am falling apart due to the change in social scene from elementary PTA to middle school PTA. It's a good thing DS is doing fairly well, because I am not providing a good example. (I am just now realizing I went through this in kindergarten, but I don't have long enough between schools now to manage these transitions by just waiting them out.)

The worst part? I'm apparently doing really well, outwardly - I was just asked to be PTA president for next year. But I forget things, mess stuff up, and I come home and cry for a minimum of 20 minutes every time I have a conversation with somebody who isn't in my immediate family. Nobody believes me except my poor husband who has to glue me back together every night.

You are amazing momsparky. You're able to provide awesome answers to me. To me, I wouldn't think you would be falling apart and come unglued. How do you do it because I have difficulty even getting my day started sometimes?

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 4:16 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
You are amazing momsparky. You're able to provide awesome answers to me. To me, I wouldn't think you would be falling apart and come unglued. How do you do it because I have difficulty even getting my day started sometimes?

I'm in my pajamas reading and writing. If I have to get out of my pajamas and actually interact with people...I have real trouble getting my day going (I can stick to a schedule pretty well...but anything that's out of the ordinary sets me off.)