Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2013, 5:26 pm

I saw a post about Ummagumma by Pink Floyd and that reminded me of this movie. I think it had a song from that album in one of the sequences, but I'm not sure. Anybody know what I'm talking about? What song is that?

And while we're on the subject, if you've seen the movie, what did you think? I saw it at the theater when it came out and I thought it was amazing. But then again I was still very young, 14 or 15.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 9:21 am

Really??! ! Nobody saw this or everybody hated it?

SpiderFan14
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2013, 11:05 pm

I've never seen this movie but the Nostalgia Critic did a really funny review of it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck7CI8CxK3o

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 4:59 pm

I saw it when it came out and I was in highschool (as we are similar age). I liked it very much at the time since it had lots of music I was listening to. (What these days is called Classic Rock and then was just called Rock.) I didn't specifically remember anything from UmmaGumma but it seemed plausible, given the rest of the music. Alas google informs me that nothing from UmmaGumma was on it. No Pink Floyd even. The music in it runs more to stadium rock (Journey, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick) than to prog rock.

At the time it came out I was a regular reader of the Heavy Metal comic. I was in its demographic of teenage nerd (although not in its demographic of male, since I was a girl nerd) and thought it was just the coolest comic ever. Anime hadn't been invented yet and Maus was yet to be written. I wouldn't have been ready for Maus anyway at that age. So I was a huge fan and dove right in to the movie.

I loved the movie. It was just like the comic only with music! And by no great coincidence, with the same music on my stereo whenever I was reading the latest issue.

In middle age I've sometimes gone back to visit the things I loved back then. The music of Pink Floyd and the Lord of the Rings trilogy are just as good as I remembered them. Heavy Metal, alas, is not. What was so enthralling to me then just looks bombastic and silly now. I saw some excerpts on Youtube and ....meh. It did not hold up over time.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2013, 7:29 pm

This movie came out before my time and I was 12 the first time I saw it and Heavy Metal 2000. I feel it's one of those obscure and cult classics.

May I ask what music you're referring to?