Two Europarl Nigel Farage videos from 6 Feb

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 3:49 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFJfSIpIbDg[/youtube]

Quote:
Nigel Farage MEP (UKIP, EFD): President Hollande, despite your own views you're doing rather a lot for the Eurosceptic debate in France.

The decision to reduce the retirement age, to increase the minimum wage, but above all, of course, the hate tax to make sure all your successful entrepreneurs and now footballers are fleeing France, means that the competitiveness gap between France and Germany is getting wider.

That is now being reflected in the flight of capital from French banks and people are beginning to notice that actually, ultimately, the euro is not just doomed in the Mediterranean, but it is going to be impossible for France and Germany to stay together inside the same economic and monetary union.

So on the basis that your employment minister says the country is bankrupt what do you do? Well, the old trick - launch a foreign military intervention.

So your troops go off to Mali, and yes, it is very good to see the smiling faces in Timbuktu for the moment. But you have done this on behalf of the European Union. It is now an EU Mission.

Just two days ago, Tony Blair said 'the EU is not about peace, the European Union is about power'.

I think what he meant is the European Union increasingly will be about war. Because the response to Mali, the response to it being an EU mission - we have heard it all around the chamber today, the Liberals urging us to intervene militarily in Syria, support from left and right in this house that the EU should intervene militarily.

I have to say this: if you really think that taking on fundamentalist, radical Islam in battle is something that we can somehow succeed in, I suspect we shall launch ourselves, in the same way as we have in Afghanistan, on a decade of unending, unwinnable misery.

I do not want the United Kingdom to be part of a militaristic warlike European Union, and that is the speech that I have heard from you, president Hollande and from most people in this chamber today.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1agZy0QrSY[/youtube]
Quote:
Nigel Farage MEP (UKIP, EFD): The highlight of today's debate was Liberal leader Mr Verhofstadt comparing the Seven-Year EU economic plan with the Soviet Union's Five-Year economic plan, and it was said without any sense of irony at all, which I thought was delicious.

Well, if the leaders meet tomorrow to discuss this budget what a curious position David Cameron finds himself in.

He made the big speech, he talked about a referendum in the future, and yet he has been criticised at home for making us wait perhaps up to five years before we can have our say.

Most people doubt his Eurosceptic sincerity, indeed he emphasised in that speech how pro-European Union he is, and yet here today he is met with venomous attacks as if he was some terrible wrecker. I would have thought his chances of renegotiating very much looked pretty limited.

So, I feel a bit sorry for him because he is like Piggy in the Middle, and you all remember from childhood what a frustrating and difficult place that it is to be.

But he has made the speech and we are going to have a proper debate in Britain about EU membership. But it is a debate that is changing. You see the budget is not our top line issue. We pay in 53 million pounds a day, and whether that goes up to 60 million pounds or not, many of us are saying why pay in a penny piece.

Barroso's idea that a pound or a euro spent at European level is worth more than a pound or euro spent at national level - perhaps you have invented nuclear money, I have no idea. What perhaps we should recognise is that unemployment is actually being caused by Europe's policies, in particular the mistaken Euro project.

But the debate in Britain has changed. And now it is about immigration. People in Britain are shocked at the change in every single city and market town since we opened the doors to Eastern Europe in 2004.

I have nothing against Bulgarians and Romanians, but it is unacceptable that we should open our doors to them unconditionally from the first of January next year.

If Mr Cameron does not get a substantial renegotiation of the 'free movement of peoples' then Britain will leave this Union.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Feb 2013, 4:17 pm

Did he really just attack Hollande for lowering the retirement age and increasing the minimum wage?

I suspect UKIP's popularity would take a serious nosedive if people knew about their policies beyond "they want to get rid of the Polish and deport Abu Qatada".

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 4:35 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Did he really just attack Hollande for lowering the retirement age and increasing the minimum wage?

In a time when the French economy is under quite severe strain, do you think that raising taxes and giving people extra benefits (thereby putting even more strain on that economy and discouraging growth) is really a good idea? If anything, the French should be encouraging investment, not sending it off to other countries.

And the backbone of UKIP is conservatism and economic liberalism. The party is becoming increasingly popular with pissed-off former Labour voters though.