Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 4:13 pm

Am I compelled to make friends at University? I have a full-time support worker at University and I have extreme anxiety about talking to the other students. I don't even know anyone's name in my year and I'm in the second year. Do I have to make friends at University? Can I go through my whole course without making friends? Because I don't really want to make friends. I am talkative (usually rambling about my special interests) and even somewhat sociable (in my own eccentric / odd way) around people I know well (although that is only a few people), but everyone else, I am blunt, short and sometimes even rude.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 4:33 pm

Nobody's forcing you, but it wouldn't hurt to say the least. Do you recognise any of them (you said you don't know their names); maybe somebody appears to be a person you'd like to know?

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 7:38 pm

No, you don't have to make friends with anyone you don't want to be friends with, even if you don't have a "good reason" to not make friends. If there's any pressure at all to make friends with people, whether that be from the outside or yourself, the situation is going to be awkward at best.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 1:57 pm

There doesn't appear to be pressure for me to make friends. I have a full-time support worker, so I have someone to guide me. The students scare me anyway.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 2:17 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
There doesn't appear to be pressure for me to make friends. I have a full-time support worker, so I have someone to guide me. The students scare me anyway.

You seem to be putting a lot of pressure on yourself to make friends, though.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Feb 2013, 5:18 pm

Making friends isn't compulsory by any means, but it could come in handy and be enjoyable.

If you would rather not, then you don't have to.

Where are you studying?