How do you feel about show/cartoons Pairings?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

TheBlueEyedAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2013, 8:10 pm

I've noticed one of the biggest things with fans of any show or cartoon is pairing characters as a couple. I like to go on Fanfiction (which reading the title, you'll know that the website is run by fan authors) and see ALOT of character pairings for their stories. Most fans like this, some don't. If your a fan of a show or cartoon, express your opinion on pairings. Now, I don't want sensless bickering so atleast give a reason why you do or don't like pairings.

In my opinion I do like pairings. It gives you freedom to explore different characters and play around with their emotions a bit. As an author, it's fun to weave around expand ideas on an already known character. I've not only seen the exploration of pairing in writing, but have seen some drawings-good and bad- on Devianart. *shrugs* I like it; it's cool and imaginative. The only cartoon that has REALLY caught my attention is the Invader Zim pairings. Veeerrreh interresting. 8)

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 8:21 pm

I'm a pretty big fan of pairings. Not sure why I like them so much; maybe it's just the hopeless romantic in me.

My favorite type of pairings are crossover pairings. It could almost be considered a special interest in and of itself, since I repeatedly check DeviantArt for crossover pairing pictures every single day, and I have made attempts in fits and starts of creating a comprehensive list of all the crossover pairings I support (there are many, numbering at least several dozen). I think crossover pairings are really creative and infinitely more interesting than canon/official pairings, because the possibilities are endless.

SpiderFan14
Raven
Raven

07 Feb 2013, 8:45 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I'm a pretty big fan of pairings. Not sure why I like them so much; maybe it's just the hopeless romantic in me.

My favorite type of pairings are crossover pairings. It could almost be considered a special interest in and of itself, since I repeatedly check DeviantArt for crossover pairing pictures every single day, and I have made attempts in fits and starts of creating a comprehensive list of all the crossover pairings I support (there are many, numbering at least several dozen). I think crossover pairings are really creative and infinitely more interesting than canon/official pairings, because the possibilities are endless.

Same here! I;m curious how the shipping between Mordecai from "Regular Show" and Twilight Sparkle from "MLP: FIM" ever got started.

Here is a tvtropes page of notable shippings;

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ssoverShip

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 10:13 pm

SpiderFan14 wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:

Same here! I;m curious how the shipping between Mordecai from "Regular Show" and Twilight Sparkle from "MLP: FIM" ever got started.

Here is a tvtropes page of notable shippings;

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ssoverShip

Someone else who shares my passion for crossover pairings! Yay! :D

To my understanding, the Twilight Sparkle x Mordecai ship (often referred to by its Portmanteau Couple Name, "Mordetwi") was created by the popular My Little Pony crossover artist Cartuneslover16. She makes mini comics that imply an attraction between the two characters.

Hehe, I love TV Tropes and I've been to that page many times. In fact, I've actually contributed to it before; I'm the one who added the ship for Alucard (Hellsing) and Abel Nightroad (Trinity Blood), and linked to the examples from DeviantArt. :) Back when Hellsing and Trinity Blood were my special interests several years ago, I actually shipped the entire casts of both series together like it was Noah's Ark, no exaggeration. :lol:

So what are your favorite crossover ships? You can PM me with a list if you want. I can also share my ships with you if you want. :D

khaos
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2013, 10:34 pm

I am a big fan of pairings, most shows I watch I usually ship a pair. I have read A LOT of fanfiction and have even wrote a few, and have a few I am trying to write but struggling at the moment. I ship Destiel (Supernatural) mainly right now. That is my aspie obsession ;)

AS, OCD, ADHD - Diagnosed
PTSD - Undiagnosed
<"May the Gods have mercy on you for I shall show none...">

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 11:28 pm

They aren't called pairings, they are called ships!

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2013, 1:07 pm

I'm not really that big on romance but I do like a good pairing in shows movies and cartoons now and again. I know that makes me sound like a big girls blouse but whatever. Here are some pairings that I wish could have happened:

Ash & Misty from Pokemon
This is something that I wish could have happened a long time ago back when I was really into Pokemon but to be honest when I think about it now they may have been a bit too young to be a lovers but for some reason it's OK for kids in Pokemon to travel around the world without any adult supervision and run gyms. Maybe if there was a future Pokemon series in which they were adults and had kids who went on their own journey then maybe.

Fry & Leela from Futurama
I haven't really watched much episodes of the 6th season and beyond but at the end of the movie into the Wild Green Yonder they did actually get together which is something I have been hoping for since Bender's Big Score came out. But in the series that followed I don't know what's going on, are they together, split up or on again off again. Hell there was one episode in which they actually slept together but their minds were in the bodies of the Professor and Zoidberg eww.

Green Lantern(John Stewart) & Hawkgirl(Shayera Hol) from Justice League Unlimited
In the first 2 seasons I didn't really care that much even when she was revealed as a traitor but around the other seasons renamed Unlimited I did pay more attention especially when GL found out that he and Hawkgirl would have a son named Warhawk and sorta hoped they got back together but in the end they didn't and I think it pissed off a few GL/HG lovers out there.

SpiderFan14
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2013, 8:26 pm

I'm glad in the final Harry Potter movie Neville got together with Luna. I kinda wish that Harry got together with Luna (Yes I'm a Luna Lovegood fan) instead of Ginny. I find far her more interesting than the other girls Harry's been involved with. If I decided her Patronus, I would've picked Derpy Hooves for her.

flora
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Feb 2013, 7:11 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with the common TV show pairings. When you get involved with fandoms (like, on Tumblr or on fan forums), you can get really into a pairing, but then you can come across something you abhorrently disagree with.

Destiel (Dean/Castiel from Supernatural) is the worst. I love the pairing, but then I come across some really crazy mad fans, and I can hate it for months. I'm currently not into it, but that's more because I haven't watched any Supernatural since November so I have no idea what's going on in either the show or the fandom. I think part of my reason for liking the pairing is the fact that Jensen & Misha (the actors) have great on screen chemistry.

Wincest (Sam/Dean from Supernatural) is a very popular pairing in the Supernatural fandom, despite it being between the two main characters, who also happen to be brothers --- hence the ship name. I don't think I could ever fall out of love with the ship.

I watch an absurd amount of Torchwood, and I basically ship Jack Harkness with everyone/thing. I think that's a common feeling amongst Torchwood fans. I probably ship him more with the "quieter" characters. I also shipped Gwen/Owen for no other reason than both the actors are very pretty.

Unfortunately, the fans of some shows can ruin ships completely. I mean...I used to ship Sherlock/John from the BBC's version of Sherlock Holmes, but the fanbase is irritating and pushy. Plus, I don't really like Martin Freeman...

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 7:42 pm

flora wrote:
I have a love/hate relationship with the common TV show pairings. When you get involved with fandoms (like, on Tumblr or on fan forums), you can get really into a pairing, but then you can come across something you abhorrently disagree with.

Destiel (Dean/Castiel from Supernatural) is the worst. I love the pairing, but then I come across some really crazy mad fans, and I can hate it for months. I'm currently not into it, but that's more because I haven't watched any Supernatural since November so I have no idea what's going on in either the show or the fandom. I think part of my reason for liking the pairing is the fact that Jensen & Misha (the actors) have great on screen chemistry.

Wincest (Sam/Dean from Supernatural) is a very popular pairing in the Supernatural fandom, despite it being between the two main characters, who also happen to be brothers --- hence the ship name. I don't think I could ever fall out of love with the ship.

I watch an absurd amount of Torchwood, and I basically ship Jack Harkness with everyone/thing. I think that's a common feeling amongst Torchwood fans. I probably ship him more with the "quieter" characters. I also shipped Gwen/Owen for no other reason than both the actors are very pretty.

Unfortunately, the fans of some shows can ruin ships completely. I mean...I used to ship Sherlock/John from the BBC's version of Sherlock Holmes, but the fanbase is irritating and pushy. Plus, I don't really like Martin Freeman...

Your love/hate relationship with your favorite pairings sounds a lot like how I am with my special interests in general.

The fandom (or more commonly, the hatedom directed towards the fandom) towards My Little Pony is a huge reason why I go through phases of sometimes being into it and sometimes not. I haven't watched it since "Hurricane Fluttershy", so I'm pretty out of the loop. The only thing I know of is the "Twilight Sparkle becoming an alicorn" controversy that's going on right now, because I have seen it on my FB newsfeed and DeviantArt.

I also have a love/hate relationship with my special interest in Johnny Depp movies, but unlike My Little Pony, there isn't a clear-cut reason why I have conflicting feelings about it. :?

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 8:37 pm

I'm a hopeless shipper. I can't help it. I ship:

- Gibbs and Abby on NCIS (Gabby)
- Dexter and Debra on Dexter (Debster)
- Grissom and Sara on CSI (GSR)
- Sheldon and Penny on TBBT (Shenny)
- Kurt and Karofsky on Glee (Kurtofsky)

Etc, etc, etc...

For a person who has never been in a relationship, I'm a hopeless romantic.

khaos
Toucan
Toucan

09 Feb 2013, 9:33 pm

hadapurpura wrote:
I'm a hopeless shipper. I can't help it. I ship:

- Gibbs and Abby on NCIS (Gabby)
- Dexter and Debra on Dexter (Debster)
- Grissom and Sara on CSI (GSR)
- Sheldon and Penny on TBBT (Shenny)
- Kurt and Karofsky on Glee (Kurtofsky)

Etc, etc, etc...

For a person who has never been in a relationship, I'm a hopeless romantic.

Ah yes GSR! I LOVED Grissom (the character and I would've been a perfect match IRL) and I liked seeing him with Sara! I stopped watching after a while and the last thing I saw was that Hawaii shirt he had on in the motel room I think it was? I don't know how it ended after that, whether they ended up together or not. I especially couldn't watch after I heard that he left the show. I have forgotten all about it until now, makes me want to re-watch the episodes. Well almost.

PTSD - Undiagnosed

khaos
Toucan
Toucan

09 Feb 2013, 9:36 pm

flora wrote:

I was a HUGE Wincest shipper before Castiel joined, then I stopped watching for some reason. But just got back into it and Destiel has been my obsession as of late. I can understand how crazy fans can get. Tumblr is CRAZY! Especially lately with the last episode. A VERY VERY good one! Jensen and Misha do have a great chemistry and they both ship Destiel as well. I still love Wincest tho, a cross pairing could get interesting tho? But say that on tumblr and YIKES! lol

PTSD - Undiagnosed

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 12:38 am

Since other people are listing their favorite ships, I figured I will too. Note that I only ship crossover pairings and some of them I have even made up myself:

- Edward Scissorhands (movie of the same name) x Fluttershy (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) - My OTP. I even made up a Portmanteau Couple Name for them - "Scissorshy". They have similar personalities (despite their dissimilar appearances) - both are very gentle and kind, but don't make them angry. I realize that one is a pony and one is humanoid, and that could be squicky for some people, but in my mind, I visualize them as either both ponies or both humans (usually humans).

- Willy Wonka (Johnny Depp version) x Princess Bubblegum (Adventure Time) - This ship is so obvious that I'm surprised that it isn't more popular. Maybe people were discouraged from shipping it because of Wonka's inexplicable hatred of gum in the movie. Anyway... the only thing that could possibly make this pairing even "sweeter" (pun intended) is if Wonka and Peebles adopted Vanellope from Wreck-It Ralph, which is totally my headcanon. :D

- Lisbeth Salander (Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) x Marla Singer (Fight Club) - I don't know why I like this so much. Maybe because the idea of two very damaged women getting into a love/hate relationship sounds really appealing to me for some reason? idk. Anyway I shipped this even before I realized that both movies were directed by David Fincher, so when I learned that little tidbit of information, it only made me like this ship more.

- Sgt. Tamora Calhoun (Wreck-It Ralph) x Brandy Alexander (Invisible Monsters) - Crack pairing, I know. It makes the least amount of sense out of any of my ships. And yet it is rapidly becoming one of my favorite ships the more I think about it. Might even be my OTP if I didn't already ship Scissorshy. My only excuse for creating this pairing is that I'm excited about seeing Wreck-It Ralph in a couple of days and I've been reading "Invisible Monsters" lately, and my love for the tomboy x girly-girl dynamic kicked in. It sort of helps that Brandy often refers to herself as a "Princess" and Calhoun is a soldier; that causes me to visualize Calhoun as being Brandy's (probably reluctant) bodyguard. (I might have to write a fanfic about that, actually...)