Female characters with Asperger's Syndrome?

Page 9 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 9:27 pm

Just finished watching Game of Thrones (for the second time) and I'm suspecting Arya Stark has a lot Aspie traits. She's very antisocial and obsessed with learning to fight. She doesn't care what others think of her.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 9:40 pm

malavois wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
malavois wrote:
Elaine Benes!

Seriously the most NT character on television ever??

Hmm, I disagree. I just finished watching the whole series again and I think Elaine Benes is the tv character who acts and talks the most like I do. This is all conjecture anyway, and that is my observation.

Sorry responding to this like 1.5 years later but Elaine Beness is an extreme extrovert and her profession as a writer/editor involves a lot of presentations and public interaction and managing staff in a publishing company (a very NT thing). She has no problem attracting men and has been through lots of boyfriends before and after dating Jerry (she dated a total of 50 men during the series).

She is very physical and open and not afraid to approach/talk to anyone. She's highly self-confident and determined.

The only traits that seem odd about Elaine are her weird kicks she does when she dances (but even here she knows she can't dance but doesn't mind publicly humiliating herself) and occasionally has uncontrollable snorting laughter.

Of course this doesn't mean her overall persona isn't relatable to some female Aspies. She has an IQ of 141 and is a little obsessive compulsive but her overall character seems quite NT.

I have read threads that propose all 4 characters in Seinfeld are aspies. Indeed Jerry Seinfled himself may well have Aspergers in real life. Kramer and George also have aspie traits but never struck me as apsies. Of all 4 Elaine is the weakest case for an Aspie. But happy to be shown otherwise.

arianekh
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jan 2022, 11:04 am

Dr Beverly Hofstadter from the big bang theory, her approach to parenting is hilarious but unfortunately resonates a bit too much with me.

Dr Temperance Brennan from bones, her logical approach to all things was brilliant.

Wow that was a scarily short list. We need more stories with aspie females in!

https://psychology-tools.com/

JourneyFan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2022, 6:07 pm

Modern Family - Alex
Superstore - Dina

femmecesare
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2022, 4:23 pm

I really think that Gwen LaMorte from Will Wood's Patreon zine, "The Prescription," is autistic. I know not a lot of people have read it, but I want to talk about her anyway. She's very emotionally sensitive but also very blunt, to the point that the other characters find it strange and inappropriate. She gets very attached to people but doesn't know how to behave in social situations, and she's very verbose. She's described as walking with an "experimental gait" (odd posture), and she wears sunglasses inside and uses an umbrella all the time (light sensitivity sensory issues). I think my favorite thing about her is that you assume her character is going to be a quirky Timburtonesque teenage manic-pixie-dream-girl, but she's not. All her emotions are taken seriously by the story even if they aren't taken seriously in the world she lives in.

I could be (and probably might be) just projecting, because I really relate to her character, but yeah, I think she's autistic.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 9:02 pm

^^ That sounds interesting.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 9:05 pm

I feel like Kelsey from Craig of the Creek is autistic... I might be biased though, because I relate with her a lot.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2022, 8:42 am

Wikipedia

Quote:
Holly Gibney is a fictional character created by American author Stephen King. Originally appearing in the Bill Hodges trilogy of novels (Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers and End of Watch), she later appears as a major supporting character in The Outsider and as the main character in "If It Bleeds", a novella included in the collection of the same name. She has been portrayed on screen by Justine Lupe in the television adaptation of the Hodges trilogy and by Cynthia Erivo in the miniseries adaptation of The Outsider

Justine Lupe relishes bringing a beloved Stephen King character to life.
Quote:
Holly Gibney is a young woman with a number of character traits that would make her both difficult and exhilarating to play. Holly has neuroses on top of neuroses, including being OCD, having agoraphobia, and being on the Autism spectrum, albeit, extremely high-functioning.

Beyond all that baggage, however, Holly, through the three books and now in AT&T AUDIENCE Network's Mr. Mercedes series, now in its third season, finds her way out of a suffocating home life and into her own life, making her own choices and even becoming a partner in a private investigation firm with lead character Bill Hodges, played by Brendan Gleeson, and Jerome Robinson, played by Emmy-winning actor Jharrel Jerome.

Lupe knew that the character was popular among King's readers, and that caused a bit of trepidation. She says, "I was a little bit nervous to fill the shoes that he created. For the audition itself, I luckily had really good writing from David Kelly. He wrote her so specifically."

"After I got the part and I read the book, I realized how he really capture the essence of how she speaks with the punctuation and all the little nuances that he put into the writing really reflects who she is as a person, so that was this amazing gift in terms of the audition itself. I just followed that.

"Once I got to know the character better before I started the series, I looked into ways that people deal with being on the spectrum, coping mechanisms, tics that people might have.

"My mom has worked with people who have autism or are on the spectrum, have some of these sensory disorders, so she gave me some tips, and I read a lot about it.

Lupe sees far more in the character beyond her differences, however. She notes, "I feel like that aspect of her personality is both a small part of who she is, and also incredibly important to who she is, and influences all these other, really special attributes that she has. I really wanted it to be a part of her story.

"It's not completely defined in the books exactly what she is dealing with, so I didn't want it to be hitting you over the head with it. I just felt like there was something going on, so to add in some flickers of that and explore that without letting it rule who she was as a character, and letting it impact. Highlighting the other really special parts of her was the route to take with it. I'm glad that it reads that way."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 7:18 am

Robin Buckley - Stranger Things

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 11:53 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I hate to admit it, but this convinced me 98% that the writers consciously wrote her as autistic. Which makes me wonder how to feel about that representation. Was it gratuitous? Was also having her be gay gratuitous? Are they trying to imply a correlation between being gay and on the spectrum, and if so, how does that impact the quality of what they've created?