Female characters with Asperger's Syndrome?

Page 7 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 1:52 pm

The female detective from the show "The Bridge."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 2:03 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
The female detective from the show "The Bridge."

Wrong Planet founder Alex Plank was a consultant for that show.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 7:23 pm

The Marvel character Mantis strikes me as a female with ASD. My mom and brother said I would be her if I was a Marvel character.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2019, 7:02 pm

Lisa and Marge Simpson from The Simpsons
Orhime from Bleach
Eliza Thornberry from The Wild Thornberries
Anne from Anne of Green Gables/Anne with an E
Paige from A Typical
Meg Murry from A Wrinkle in Time
Tina and Linda from Bob's Burger's
Elsa from Frozen
Ariel from The Little Mermaid (Disney version)
Belle from Beauty & The Beast (Disney version)
Fern and D.W. from Arthur
Aunt Josephine from Anne with an E

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2019, 10:53 am

Peridot from Steven Universe has a lot of traits of ASD. I am aware Gems are genderless aliens, but as far as I'm concerned they are coded female characters.

Padparadscha Sapphire from Steven Universe. Well, she is coded for special needs in general, not just ASD but I personally find her very relatable.

Lisa Loud from the Loud House possibly.

Lal from Star Trek TNG.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2019, 7:00 pm

modernorchid wrote:
Tiffany from the film - The Silver Linings Playbook.

Kim Jung-yeon from the film- Castaway on the Moon.

Sue from the tv show - The Middle.

Fluttershy from the cartoon- My Little Pony.

Toph from the cartoon - Avatar, the Last Air Bender.

I can definitely vouch for Fluttershy. The fact that she had trouble socializing with other ponies and preferred spending time with wild animals, who don't have nearly as many social demands as ponies would, seem to point strongly to that among other things. Outside of that, she's also a character I strongly see as a potentially incredible mother and wife because of her tender, caring nature that'll make sure your needs are met.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 11:00 pm

Catmint wrote:
By the way, anyone ever seen the movie "Mozart and the Whale"? Absolutely fantastic.

Yes!! ! I loved the part when the boss came home for dinner and they had a fight - especially when Donald brought his hand down on the table and screamed," How are we going to pay for all this?!" :)

queenofdoomydoom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Dec 2019, 9:15 pm

I think Jayne Eyre for sure. Maybe Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. Shakespeare's Ophelia maybe but that character could suffer from many disorders. Lydia Deetz from Beetlejuice. Daria, maybe Velma from Scooby Doo. Perhaps Christine Dae from Phantom of the Opera.
I was just thinking about Gaz from Invader Zim and how her apparent indifference and antisocial behavior and need to distract herself with video games could be something more.
I love and identify with all these characters in one small way or another but it's hard to tell since every Aspie is different with different personalities and women who have these traits could be seen as just being shy or polite or weird. I would like to see a bigger representation of female Aspies in fiction.

o0Kalei0o
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2020, 12:00 am

I can think of a few examples:
-Saki Hanajima from the manga Fruits Basket. Because she was born with extrasensory sensitivity and had to learn to control it. Although not a complete parallel to sensory overload in real life it's still similar, plus she is pretty quiet and was teased as a kid for being different.

-Hishiro from the webcomic/anime ReLife. She is very good at doing tasks given to her, but she has a lot of trouble socially. She Can't relate to people as much as others can and she is very direct. It causes a lot of problems for her at school (and later we find out, work). And her character arc is built around her learning to be more social. They put the excuse for her behavior on her moving around frequently as a kid and never say she is not neurotypical, but I obviously read it as otherwise.

-Entrapta from the new Netflix SheRa cartoon. She is very enthusiastic and curious about her work/hobby of technology, choosing it over people a lot of the time. And while she is nice, she is shown clearly out of step with the other characters and has odd eccentricities.

That's all the examples I can think of for now.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 7:39 am

Atypical.... to what degree Elsa, or Paige? In the script obvious hints are being dropped about Elsa ("sorry I was rigid" as a child), but I resonate with Paige also.

jofiquartz
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Feb 2020, 8:59 pm

Meg Murry is the classic under-diagnosed "female sibling."

- Meg in 'A Wrinkle in Time,' Madeleine L'Engle

<Currently exploring autism. AS score 152 NT score 75>

Callafiriel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2020, 9:52 am

Some people have mentioned Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. Why do you guys think she's Aspie? I'd much sooner have pegged her father (lives totally in his own world) or Mary (only interested in Religion and Music) as the Aspie(s) of the family - even Jane (very quiet and shy) - but not Elizabeth. To me she seems the one who is most in tune with the world around her, being friendly with all the neighbours, talking and making polite chit-chat with everyone, being interested in them, etc.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 2:34 pm

^ Agreed,Elizabeth's too street savvy and social to have it. Maybe Mary? Also Maria from Umineko no Naku koro ni.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 7:46 pm

AprilR wrote:
^ Agreed,Elizabeth's too street savvy and social to have it.

I haven't read the book and the movie clips online don't show me enough of Lizzy. They show her ignoring every woman in the vicinity, so that looks ASD like. It mentions she's a nonconfirmist which is ASD like. However I don't see any passionate fits or the lack of passion, so that's not ASD like. I'm really interested in ASD "types" since I am the social type and don't fit current stereotypes --- but I am not street savvy. Oh, and I love to dance - people who relate are my closest connections.

SadGhost
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Mar 2020, 8:06 pm

I'm currently reading a manga that is still ongoing, called Asper Girl, where the female protagonist Megumi Saitou is an aspie. She is quite the enigmatic character, although very troubled due to her childhood traumas. I hope to learn more about her as the series goes on.

KLessard
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2020, 5:52 pm

The veiled Orual from C. S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces.

If she is not Asperger per se, her character's story certainly represents autism and masking in females. Till We Have Faces makes me think C. S. Lewis had undiagnosed Asperger's syndrome.

Orual starts wearing a full-face veil at some point in her youth, and after many years, most people don't know why she is doing this and have all sorts of theories about it. She becomes a wise queen and is well-respected. She wears her veil because she is ugly and wants to hide it. She began doing it after a profound grief, after she was separated from her beloved sister Istra who I believe represents the ideal individual a masked Asperger woman tries to become.

Orual is very intelligent but has not been blessed in other ways.