I was a boy bullied by boys. 34%  34%  [ 35 ]
I was a girl bullied by boys and girls. 14%  14%  [ 14 ]
I was never bullied as a girl. 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 102

JonAZ
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Feb 2013, 7:28 pm

Could you describe how you were bullied in high school and middle school?

www.manyperceptions.org

My son has autism.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 7:37 pm

1. The student behind me placed chewing gum on my seat just as I was about to sit. It never did wash off so I ended up throwing the pants away.
2. I was forced off my homemade bike (or truck as the kids called it) by some thug on the street who just bashed it against a tree. Waste of time. It was close to broken anyway.
3. This guy took my boots off my feet - in the snow, no less! - and just threw them across the street. He didn't even want them.
4. This guy pushed into my apartment because he was a crack fiend looking for stuff. Scratched me up but that was it.
5. Generally, I was told to move aside, speak better English or give up my seat on the school bus. I started walking the 3 1/2 miles to my home every day anyway. Good exercise.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 7:40 pm

Middle School:

constantly called a witch and had my surname made fun of, being made fun of for being crap at PE.

High School:

hit in the back with a hockey stick, physically attacked from behind on the stairs, physically attacked as I entered the changing rooms, jeered at on the way home by a group, sarcastic comments made to me, not being picked for teams (or deliberately picked last), being hated by the 'in' crowd.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

undercaffeinated
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Feb 2013, 7:52 pm

How come none of the choices allow for boys who were bullied by girls (or both boys and girls)?

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 8:09 pm

In middle school, in order to be "allowed" to go sit by my friends during recess, I had to walk past a group of boys who would spit on me. Some would put Jolly Ranchers in their mouths to make their spit extra sticky. This happened nearly every day. I was also teased for being ugly. Some kids would trick me into doing things I shouldn't have done, but I never caught on until it was too late.

In high school boys made derogatory remarks about me on a regular basis. Girls made minor threats and teased people who were nice to me. Boys would put horrible notes in my locker for me to find, making fun of me, my appearance, my family, whatever they could think of to hurt me.

After I graduated, I had one boy tell me that he was sorry he didn't ask me out, but he was afraid to due to the bullying he would have had to endure. Simply for asking me out, presumably. I asked who would have bullied him and he named the 2-3 most "popular" boys and the Queen Mean Girl.

A number of kids in both middle and high school wouldn't have bullied me if it wouldn't have been for a few ring leaders. There was really only a small handful of them and everyone was so afraid of falling under their wrath, they did what they had to do to stay on the "safe side."

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 8:11 pm

I got into lots and lots of fights when people teased me. I have no idea how many fights I've been in, but my guess is that it has to be well over a hundred. And I hated every one of them.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 9:33 pm

Let's see what there was bully-wise...I have to say that Grades 7 and 9 were the absolute worst (and I kept changing schools too!)

1) At 12 years old, a group of three bullies told me while we were waiting outside of class to go look in the closet because they found some sort of treasure there (think it was a backpack full of money, they said). I instantly caught on and told then no, forget it. Despite that, they grabbed me and said, no, take a look, and shoved me in whereupon they closed the door, holding it shut and laughing. I pounded on the door but it was no use so I gave up and felt like crying. The teacher showed up for the class, at which point I came out and the bullies asked "Jayo, what are you doing in there?" make it look like I chose to hide in there.

2) In gym class, had my clothes snatched from me by two bullies who played "catch" with it, with me in the middle, then they threw it in the toilet.

3) While walking down the hallway carrying books, some bully that I didn't know kicked them from behind, and laughed as I stopped to pick them up. Not 10 seconds after I'd finished, another guy came over and did the same thing.

4) In wood shop class, my project so far disappeared twice - not just a coincidence, I had a pretty good idea of who secretly trashed it.

5) Some girl sitting behind me kept jabbing me with pencils (she was really butch-like, had the mean ugly look and looked boyish...)

It certainly was hell, I hope they repent for their actions if there is a hell in the afterlife.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 9:44 pm

undercaffeinated wrote:
How come none of the choices allow for boys who were bullied by girls (or both boys and girls)?
Looks like a typo, I figured it out and voted the 2nd girls bullyed by girls and boys.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 10:08 pm

Quote:
A number of kids in both middle and high school wouldn't have bullied me if it wouldn't have been for a few ring leaders. There was really only a small handful of them and everyone was so afraid of falling under their wrath, they did what they had to do to stay on the "safe side."
I think this had a lot to with me, since most of it in grade 1-8 had to do with the same 2-3 people starting it.

-They made fun of me for my weight, both verbel (calling names)and phyical(inaproprate touching), thanks meds for the gain, no wonder I could not lookat myself in the merrior for more then a decade, its a wonder I did not get a eating disorder.

-Made fun of my speech slur, perposely acting on obviously mis-pronounced words and sentinces I said, getting me in trouble and hurting me saying you said it not me.

-Took advantage of my poor emotional control and honesty, usally could get me in trouble for their issues, shared or not, triggering a meltdown worked great for this.

-High School mainly, Meny kids would want to partner with me then bail and let me do all the work becouse I would do it and not complain, worse in topics I was good at. In elementry school I would oten have artwork in 2,3 or 5 different reports, then get dis-respected by the same people mnutes later.

-They forced me to fight them every recess and all the kids took turns doing it, I was easy to defeat and easy to lead around and they knew it. I never understood why fighting me was so much fun

-forced me to play games like mercy, that ended the phyical bullying around grade 7 becouse they under estmated my high pain therishold and my abillity to go non verbel when I finally felt it. I could not defeat them ever but after days of recess' the bully finally got embarissed in fount of the crowd he could not defeat me, infact I think I was tuffer appearing then him!

I'm sure theres more I missed since I missed most of the bullying cues back then.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 10:41 pm

Called names
Made fun of
Got touched
Had things thrown at me
I was spat at
Egged to do things
Taken advantage of
Being made into a circus animal
Got put down

Middle school and high school I was left alone and not bullied because we lived in a small town. It may have gotten worse if we stayed and didn't move unless my parents home schooled me or found a special school for me to attend.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 11:01 pm

I got mean-girled a bunch. Lots of nice to my face and talking trash behind my back. Mainly just adolescent girls being passive-aggressive and nasty. I got into a couple of fights with other girls, mostly for stated reasons that were stupid but covered for things that ran deeper. It seemed like everywhere I went when I was younger it was dangerous to be noticed, so I was very very good at not being noticed.

At one of the schools that I went to, there was a girl who was singled out for really excessive torment. At lunch break the popular boys would throw coins at her and keep her away from the bulk of the group. That was more than 20 years ago and I still feel horrible that I didn't stand up for her and befriend her. I was so concerned with being invisible and safe that I didn't have the courage to stand up to what I knew was wrong and horrible.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2013, 11:08 pm

i remember when i started middle school i moved, and i made friends but these girls thought i was mentally ret*d so they told everyone to ignore me. i moved again after that and they thought i was ret*d AND greasy, my class used to throw things at me and tell me to leave or kill myself and that no one cared about me. now everyone just ignores me, last year they thought i was ret*d AGAIN so they used to mock me in class. sometimes now ill get that one girl who will throw things at me and then threaten me behind my back.

cjthemadscientist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Feb 2013, 12:41 am

A group of boys threw a metal lunchbox at me, picked it back up and smacked me in the face with it. I told them to f off and I was the one who got in trouble.

Kids kept coming up to me and burping and farting on me.

Got a book thrown at me, I ducked and it hit the teacher who was behind me but the offender did not get in trouble.

My lisp was always made fun of.

My looks made fun of.

If I sat next to someone at lunch or recess they would either voice their opinions or move away. I was alone all the time. In high school I spent lunch wandering around the school and dodging security who didnt want students walking around all to avoid looking like a loser with no friends.

Guy found out I liked him, pretended to like me and date me for about two days then dumped me and said so many nasty things to me in front of the whole lunch room, saying he never liked me.

My parents are chain smokers and I was forced to go to school smelling like cigarettes, and got the nickname Old Smokey and people coughed as I walked by.

Also, throughout middle school I thought some people were my friends but they were actually being mean to me, and in high school I thought genuine nice kids had an ulterior motive. I would openly stand up for myself and tell people to go away and this led to even more torment.

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2013, 6:32 am

I voted girl bullied by girls but on reflection it was boys, too. Girls were the worst, though.

They would spray me with deodorant and body spray because I smelled bad.
Touched me inappropriately and made sexual comments to make fun of the fact that I was behind in that area.
If I got put in a group with them, I'd end up doing all the work because they knew I was too scared not to.

With boys and crowds in general it was things like pulling me over using the handle of my backpack, or pushing me over in the hallway and walking on top of me.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 8:45 am

There's no option for 'boy bullied by everyone' but that was me in grade 7 and 8. Well not literally everyone but nobody stood up for me. The girls never got physical, but they did much more damage. Like I've said before, the violence was the easy part. Let's recap some of the things I can say in this forum:
* Nobody would let me sit on the bus so I had to sit on the floor. When my mother found out that the bus driver did nothing about it, she confronted the school and I was allowed to sit but told very clearly I was unwelcome and that it's only because they have to allow me to sit.
* Reminded almost daily that nobody likes you and that they wish you would drop dead
* Being told by girls you are the ugliest kid in school and how gross you are (when I am extremely tall and am quite good looking I might add)
* Assaulted almost every time 3 or more kids had me alone, especially in the pathways home. Mom had to drive me EVERYWHERE. Sometimes they would politely say hello which further confused me.
* The school nerd decided he wanted to be popular so he slammed me into my locker from behind causing a nasty concussion. He got a measly three day suspension and his parents still thought it was harsh.
* My property was sabotaged and damaged just for kicks (I would have preferred they just stole it)
* Kids cheated off me and the school told me to stop whining about it.
* Had my pants pulled down and my privates grabbed in the locker room by the same people who would beat someone to a coma for being gay. It got worse but I want to keep this family friendly.
* Had my heritage and culture mocked (was from another part of Canada)
* Was shoved down the stairs at least twice.
* When playing sports, was openly mocked by both teams and the teacher joined right in. If I did a successful play, nobody would acknowledge it but if I stumbled, both teams would cheer.
* The parents of ten kids were called, told what they were doing at school and only one parent (the kid who was almost innocent) ever apologized. Some of the parents used to bully me too like at baseball encouraging their kids to run me over at home plate or hit me with a pitch. They actually changed a rule in the entire minor baseball association because of what was done to me!

I was forced to change schools since nobody would do anything about it and the bullying continued there but not as bad (thanks to a strict disciplinarian who was tough as nails). Still, I had more instances:
* Malicious rumors about me being gay still follow me to this day.
* Had harassing phone calls and the house was egged once.
* Beaten up almost unconscious my a student who I teased back (wasn't really bullying just a kid with serious issues but it hurt like you wouldn't believe)
*Somebody tried (and failed) to break into my locker and steal all my books. They were unsuccessful though

High school wasn't bad because it was a big school and I got lost in the crowd. That, and the 'ringleaders' got into drugs and left me alone. I did however, lose many potential friends because of my extreme paranoia. For example, I was in a hotel room at a party once and while this girl I knew wanted to have a 'good time' I was extremely paranoid she would try to rob me or drug me and ran in terror which is absurd looking back by that bullying made it hard to trust anyone for years. Because of that incident, few people wanted to be friends with me and rightfully so.

All I can say is thank heavens there was no internet and cameras were so expensive. It would have almost certainly pushed me over the edge. Then again, maybe people would actually believe that I'm not making these stories up because the universal reaction I got was denial: nobody could be that cruel, especially to the tallest kid in school. My experience says otherwise.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 9:15 am

Quote:
Also, throughout middle school I thought some people were my friends but they were actually being mean to me, and in high school I thought genuine nice kids had an ulterior motive. I would openly stand up for myself and tell people to go away and this led to even more torment.

So ture, I considered meny of the bullys my friends for some dumb reason, maybe my defination of a friend was so badly flawed from never having any real ones. When I got to High School I just gave up on making friends becuse I had no idea if the kids were good or bad, I could not read them and being a uniform school that just made it harder becoust I had to go all on body language and verbel talk that I just could not read. I recall someong trying to give me props and I pulled back becouse I thought he was going to deck me, that lead to even more unwanted isolation. I gave up on the lunch room and ate outside like a picnic by Grade 10, often talking to a teacher on guard duty or coffee break.

Did not help that I would get stuck working with the bad apples in group work, they broke my pencils, tryed to steal my stuff and things and knew I wouldn't tell, I once told a older teen co-worker manager about this and he got really mad at me, encourged me to stand up for myself and get help from the teachers. People could not understand why I worked with these people, wasn't my choice though its what I got stuck with, over time teachers with the help of special Ed would arrange better and healther partners that were more suited to my skill level and demeanor and black list the bullys, it got easyer is time went on though becouse most of the bullys droped out when they turned 16 and I held collage level courses throughout and passed so the class sizes went from 30 to like 15 by grade 11, 12 and most of the bullys got stuck droping down or staying behind.

I beleave it helped that I started High School with a Aspergers Diagnosis, something I did not have till the last 2 years of elementry school so I finally had Special Ed on my side, things just made sense. That and the Special ED at elementry school sucked anyway most of time, the teachers were bullys too, even got phyicaly abused by the special ed teacher once during what I now know as shutdown, he was there to couch sports teams.