Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 11:47 am

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. If not, feel free to move it someplace else.

Anyway, I've been depressed and I've had anxiety for about 10 years now. The past four years, after I moved away from home, I've gained quite a lot of weight. About 9 kilos in four years. I hate it and I feel absolutely disgusted with myself for it. Yet I can't stop it.

I guess it's not that weird to overeat and eat sweets etc when depressed. If I've understood it correctly the limbic system regulates both emotions and apetite (and other things) so when one's emotional life is disturbed so is often one's apetite. Also, I understand refined carbohydrates such as sugar help with the serotonin production (which most of you probably know is a hormone/neurotransmitter which contributes to feelings of well-being). So, like I said, I guess it's not that weird to overeat and gain weight when depressed. It sucks though and it makes me even more depressed. It's a vicious circle and I need your advice on how to make it stop. I've tried quitting sugar but it's really difficult. Especially when there are emotional reasons for eating. Also, my possible Asperger's (the professionals have now told me it's likely I've got it) and the depression make it very hard to get started with things. That includes cooking so I often eat ready-made meals which is quite bad as well.

Any advice on how to deal with this? I hope that I, with therapy (starting soon) and hard work, can get better eating habits. Could really use your help though.

Thanks,

rebbieh

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

I am also currently trying to move myself out of depression and lose that associated weight gain. When I get into that cycle, I try to make healthier choices than normal. And for me, health food and stuff rich in b vitamins (those feel-good chemicals) help me to feel better about myself even if I'm still struggling with my circumstances. Sometimes i don't hav it in me to prepare a meal, but I still try to seek out healthier options. Also, do u exercise at all? Obviously that can help with the weight gain and improve mood. But then, I'm kind of thinking you've already explored both of those....?

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

11 Feb 2013, 12:15 pm

Same thing happened to me. I knocked off the pounds by trying to translate my depression into not having food in the house (very easy to do), so I just skipped multiple meals. Sometimes, only ate once a day, or not at all. It worked. I'm down 40 pounds in six months and only about 10 off my target.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 12:43 pm

LizNY wrote:
I am also currently trying to move myself out of depression and lose that associated weight gain. When I get into that cycle, I try to make healthier choices than normal. And for me, health food and stuff rich in b vitamins (those feel-good chemicals) help me to feel better about myself even if I'm still struggling with my circumstances. Sometimes i don't hav it in me to prepare a meal, but I still try to seek out healthier options. Also, do u exercise at all? Obviously that can help with the weight gain and improve mood. But then, I'm kind of thinking you've already explored both of those....?

This might sound like poor excuses but my social anxiety and the depression make it difficult for me to exercise (I don't want anyone to see me or be near me and I find it hard to get going). I go for walks sometimes which I guess is better than nothing but I need to exercise more. Not exercising properly hasn't made me this way (as in given me depression, anxiety, AS etc) but it has probably made things a bit worse. I know that and I know the professionals are going suggest exercise as well. I just hope they understand that it's not that easy.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 12:43 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Same thing happened to me. I knocked off the pounds by trying to translate my depression into not having food in the house (very easy to do), so I just skipped multiple meals. Sometimes, only ate once a day, or not at all. It worked. I'm down 40 pounds in six months and only about 10 off my target.

This sounds similar to what i had done once. When i get depressed i usually am not hungry and eat once a day if that. It can get serious though as if one says in depression like that with limited eating for a long time it will lead to anorexia.
Anyhow in my case i ended up Anorexic, to make a long story short i was for several years when inpatient twice at a clinic that had a special ward for eating disorders.
They specified my atypical as when i did eat i'd eat Wendys or Taco Bell (some type of fast food yum) so i never was a calorie counter.

The thing that cured my anorexia was when i moved many states away. My depression went away for the time i was able to function better, got my appetite back and could live.

I've not been anorexic since. However the past several months my weight has went from 125 (which is fine with me) to 115 which is really too thin.
I would rather gain the weight back than look too thin. My wife usually makes us something for dinner, sometimes we go order out pick up food. And we snack through out the day. Yet if i keep losing weight i'll have to drink ensures.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

11 Feb 2013, 12:48 pm

Chloe33 wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

This sounds similar to what i had done once. When i get depressed i usually am not hungry and eat once a day if that. It can get serious though as if one says in depression like that with limited eating for a long time it will lead to anorexia.
Anyhow in my case i ended up Anorexic, to make a long story short i was for several years when inpatient twice at a clinic that had a special ward for eating disorders.
They specified my atypical as when i did eat i'd eat Wendys or Taco Bell (some type of fast food yum) so i never was a calorie counter.

The thing that cured my anorexia was when i moved many states away. My depression went away for the time i was able to function better, got my appetite back and could live.

I've not been anorexic since. However the past several months my weight has went from 125 (which is fine with me) to 115 which is really too thin.
I would rather gain the weight back than look too thin. My wife usually makes us something for dinner, sometimes we go order out pick up food. And we snack through out the day. Yet if i keep losing weight i'll have to drink ensures.

Well, at 240 lbs and down to 198, I don't think I have to worry about anorexia for...like...another 40 pounds, and that's just not going to happen with my depressive issues (creates low thyroid, low temperature, low metabolism). I am 6'2, so 198 is not that bad. I also work out 4 times a week. I could be 170 and still healthy.

For people with depression, I think the meal skipping thing actually IS the best way since it requires the absence of action rather than making yourself do something affirmatively that takes energy. OP, you should try it. Unless you really are anorexic, it shouldn't hurt. Also, mustard water and soy sauce helps you to throw up if you felt like you ate too much. I don't do this often anymore though.

It's not anorexia if you are aiming at a healthy target and stop when you get there, and it's not bulimia unless the induced vomiting is controlled. As long as you're controlled about it and don't overdo it, you should be fine with both the meal skipping and the induced vomiting (it does ruin your teeth, so don't do it that much).

Using these strategies, I have total control over my body size regardless of how depressed and lacking in energy I am.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 12:58 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
For people with depression, I think the meal skipping thing actually IS the best way since it requires the absence of action rather than making yourself do something affirmatively that takes energy. OP, you should try it. Unless you really are anorexic, it shouldn't hurt. Also, mustard water and soy sauce helps you to throw up if you felt like you ate too much. I don't do this often anymore though.

Sorry but I don't think throwing up food or not eating is the solution to the problem. Tried the not eating thing during a very low (and long) episode of depression in high school (also tried it to control my anxiety) and I don't think it's a good thing to encourage (no offence). At the same time I hate gaining weight. I hope I can fix it in a good and healthy way. I have no idea how though.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 1:51 pm

There was a period of time when I lost the will to do anything including some essential things due to my mental problems. I haven't completely come out of it even now. Any way, I at least didn't want to be physically sick, but had no motivation to do cooking. So what I did was to simply pick easy-to-prepare vegetables and fruits. Don't think about full-on cooking. Simply buy vegetables that you can simply wash and eat. Celery, tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers, paprika, bananas, apples, mandarins frozen raspberries etc. Vegies can be eaten with salt and olive oil etc. It's very quick. You could also use canned mixed beans. Also they are all cheap, too. Train yourself to have coffee, tea (green tea etc) etc without sugar, too, if you can. If caffeine affects your mood etc, you need other drinks, such as plain water. Make all this a habit. I survived my worst times in this way and kept myself at least physically healthy when my mind wasn't so.

I guess what I have just suggested is pretty much common sense and you probably have thought about that already. If so, I don't know what else can help.

Also, if you are going to take antidepressants or something, remember they can make you gain weight very easily. I put on weight because of that. But when I came off antidepressants, I naturally lost what I gained.

LizNY
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Feb 2013, 1:55 pm

rebbieh wrote:
LizNY wrote:

This might sound like poor excuses but my social anxiety and the depression make it difficult for me to exercise (I don't want anyone to see me or be near me and I find it hard to get going). I go for walks sometimes which I guess is better than nothing but I need to exercise more. Not exercising properly hasn't made me this way (as in given me depression, anxiety, AS etc) but it has probably made things a bit worse. I know that and I know the professionals are going suggest exercise as well. I just hope they understand that it's not that easy.

Yeah I hear ya. When I get in a similar state, I'll try to exercise when fewer people will be around. Odd times at the gym and such. Or when nobody will be there. Solitary walks and stuff like that. A lot of times the depressed feelings combine with the anxiety and its just a no-go. But I try to find those easier opportunities and push myself since I kno I will feel at least marginally better afterwards. I try to think about ways to improve my health since I eventually learned to feel good from taking care of myself. Indulging in self love and being kind to myself sort of thing even if life is "kicking me when I'm down." and if possible, i also try changing my circumstances. and I just do what I can. Eventually things usually shift around in my life, and I'm feeling better and things overall are better for a little while at least. but its just so difficult sometimes.

Last edited by LizNY on 11 Feb 2013, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 2:02 pm

Hm...

Well, as someone who only weighs 130 pounds; I've got a little bit that might be able to help.

STIM.

ALL THE TIME.

Just get super-excited somehow, and use the extra energy to get as hyperactive as possible.

Run around like crazy!

GLHF ;P

Author/Writer

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 3:19 pm

Unfortunately for me, I became a foodie. Now that I have a little free time, I like to indulge in the goodies I've never had in my life such as cuisine from restaurants I couldn't afford before or didn't have the time for. In today's newspaper, for instance, they talked about the best noodle & dumpling house in town. The pictures alone had me frothing at the mouth. See? Abstinence is futile.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2013, 4:01 pm

I also have depression and anxiety, along with high prolactin, and the problem is, antidepressants only make me gain more weight. I'm also knocked out most of the time: I even feel too sleepy to do my daily activites, let alone exercise :( .